LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95-00 sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 11:09 AM
Kaspars
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb 95-00 sway bars

Hi!
I have question about sway bars for 2nd gen LS400.
I know that for 95-97 cars there was an addco sway bar, which is out of production now.
But I also know that 98-00 has stiffer sway bar and has similar rear subframe to mk4 supra, so...
Is it possible to fit 98-00 sway bar on to 95-97 car?
And if it is, then is possible to fit mk4 supra sway bar, as 98-00 basically have the same subframe?

Does anyone has info on this? Thanks!
Old 01-24-18, 11:19 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That would be an experiment. A key point would be the overall weight where the LS is about 450#'s different. That bar may be great on the Supra though not as much with the LS. Yes, the 98-00 bar will fit onto the 95-97 LS's. There are some threads that PD chimed in on regarding the bar, would have to search for those.
Old 01-24-18, 12:46 PM
Kaspars
Driver School Candidate

Hi!
Thanks for quick response. I'm fully aware that LS is a lot heavier, but my logic went like this, Addco bar was around 22mm and you can get bars for supras up to 23mm, so.... that would be nice alternative for now discontinued addco bar.

With PD you meant pure drifter?
Old 01-25-18, 05:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaspars
With PD you meant pure drifter?
Yes, pure drifter.
Old 01-27-18, 06:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Hi!
I have question about sway bars for 2nd gen LS400.
I know that for 95-97 cars there was an addco sway bar, which is out of production now.
But I also know that 98-00 has stiffer sway bar and has similar rear subframe to mk4 supra, so...
Is it possible to fit 98-00 sway bar on to 95-97 car?
And if it is, then is possible to fit mk4 supra sway bar, as 98-00 basically have the same subframe?

Does anyone has info on this? Thanks!
I don't know where you got the idea that '98-00 LS400s have the same rear subframes as MK4 supras, this is completely incorrect. Neither the sway bar nor any of the arms are interchangeable.

'98-00 LS400s have a larger rear sway bar, essentially the same size as the Addco bars sold for the earlier ones. These should bolt right in to earlier LS400s, though not many have tested.

You will want the bars, bushings, and endlinks.
Old 01-29-18, 11:54 AM
blumagic
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think know what google search got you the "Supra Subframe" response. If I remember correctly it is that it is more referring to the differential mounting points.

anyways, yes I have a 98+ sway on my '95. here is a picture of the size difference;

Sharpie -> '95 sway -> '98 sway

Attachment 490722
Old 02-11-18, 08:03 AM
Kaspars
Driver School Candidate

@Pure Drifter

I did more research, and yes, you are correct, subframe is different (although very similar looking) and only diff mounting points are the same.

@Blumagic

How does it feel now, with the thicker 98 bar? How did the handling improve? Did it affect comfiness? Or could I go even thicker for even more sporty feel without loosing too much of a comfort?

And what did you mean by "Sharpie"?
Sharpie -> '95 sway -> '98 sway
Old 02-11-18, 09:26 AM
deanfun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There’s literally a sharpie pen in the photo. It’s a left to right label for the picture.
Old 02-11-18, 10:36 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by deanfun
There’s literally a sharpie pen in the photo. It’s a left to right label for the picture.
haha....pretty big rock he lives under.

But that looks like a worthwhile modification. Does the ride harshen any that you can notice? And was it just the bar/bushings you needed to replace, and retained the factory 95-97 endlinks? Or will I need specific brackets to mount the bar only found on the 98-00?
Old 02-11-18, 12:14 PM
Kaspars
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanfun
fail.... FML!!!

I forgot that "sharpie" is a term for markers! Silly me!
Old 02-15-18, 12:34 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Looks like Blumagic has been offline for a few weeks. Anyway, I've swapped quite a few sway bars w/ thicker ones in cars i.e. the Mustangs before. It does makes a different in handling (car feels firmer, planted to the ground & doesn't sway/lean as much when you make a quick maneuver like changing lane or quick cornering). It's very noticeable at first, however once you've got used to it, you won't feel much unless you test drive another same car w/ the stock sway bar.
Old 02-16-18, 07:49 AM
blumagic
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

@Pure Drifter

I did more research, and yes, you are correct, subframe is different (although very similar looking) and only diff mounting points are the same.

@Blumagic

How does it feel now, with the thicker 98 bar? How did the handling improve? Did it affect comfiness? Or could I go even thicker for even more sporty feel without loosing too much of a comfort?

And what did you mean by "Sharpie"?
Originally Posted by Losiracer2
haha....pretty big rock he lives under.

But that looks like a worthwhile modification. Does the ride harshen any that you can notice? And was it just the bar/bushings you needed to replace, and retained the factory 95-97 endlinks? Or will I need specific brackets to mount the bar only found on the 98-00?

LOL @ the sharpie stuff.

It is hard to comment on comfort, but I imagine since a stock '98-00 rides great it wouldn't make a big difference. It has noticeably less roll and handles better but i installed with poly bushings as well. I'm used to upgrading to big Eibach/aftermarket bars and if you are used to that, the 98 bar seems kind of weak. I wish their was something bigger available now that the Addco is unobtanium.

- used 95 endlinks
- used siberian bushings poly sway bushings
- my bar came with 98 brackets, i didn't even attempt the '95 ones so I can't really speak to that.

I got mine from import.mechanic on ebay, looks like they have another in stock, brackets and all.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-LEXUS-...item54539127eb
Old 02-16-18, 11:38 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by blumagic
LOL @ the sharpie stuff.

It is hard to comment on comfort, but I imagine since a stock '98-00 rides great it wouldn't make a big difference. It has noticeably less roll and handles better but i installed with poly bushings as well. I'm used to upgrading to big Eibach/aftermarket bars and if you are used to that, the 98 bar seems kind of weak. I wish their was something bigger available now that the Addco is unobtanium.

- used 95 endlinks
- used siberian bushings poly sway bushings
- my bar came with 98 brackets, i didn't even attempt the '95 ones so I can't really speak to that.

I got mine from import.mechanic on ebay, looks like they have another in stock, brackets and all.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-LEXUS-...item54539127eb
One thing to consider when increasing stabilizer bar diameter (thus more force imparted on chassis) is to increase rigidity of chassis area where bushing brackets mount to "frame".

Found this solution ...the extra bar has mounting tabs that insert underneath the stabilizer bar bushing and and are held in place by bracket fasteners...probably would upgrade fasteners if doing so...

Not optimal but a possibility.. really like these brackets..my sense is the OEM stamped bushing brackets flex somewhat...

Last edited by YODAONE; 02-16-18 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-19-18, 01:46 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Even solid 1" bars in the LS400 won't have enough rigidity to tear the sway bar mounts. The sway bar mounts in the LS are plenty beefy for street tire use.
Old 02-19-18, 09:02 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Even solid 1" bars in the LS400 won't have enough rigidity to tear the sway bar mounts. The sway bar mounts in the LS are plenty beefy for street tire use.
The images of the second fixed bar with mounting ears are included to present a possible solution for increasing torsional rigidity at a point where it might offer improvement.

The further forward a stabilizer bar is mounted, the less rigid the structure and the more leverage it can impart on the frame.

My Mercedes-Benz' stabilizer bar mounted to the chassis behind the front wheels near the firewall (you could see it uptop underneath where the battery resided)

Quick Reply: 95-00 sway bars