LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Heater fuse keeps blowing up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 06:47 PM
DZeeLs400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater fuse keeps blowing up.

Hi guys, so my whole climate control system stopped working. I checked the fuses at the driver's side kick panel and found out that my heater fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and as soon as I press the A/C button it blows up again. Second time I replaced the same fuse again with a new one and tried pressing other buttons on the climate control system everything was working fine until I pressed the A/C button again and the heater fuse blew up. I noticed that when I press the button that directs the air to come in from outside, the A/C button light comes on but the fuse does not blow up. It only blows up when I press the A/C button. I am running aftermarket touch screen stereo, amplifier and sub-woofer. I did all the wiring for that myself about 2 months ago. Everything worked fine until now. I disconnected all the switches like the ones behind ashtray, the stereo switches and the ones at the very top where the vents are and the problem is still there. This means that my aftermarket setup has nothing to do with it. I inspected the wires in the harness and could not find any exposed wires. Could the heater relay in the engine bay be the problem? I checked the wires around A/C compressor and everything seems to be fine. Your guys' help will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-16-18, 11:08 AM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Test another climate control unit in your car if you can. If u have washed the car recently make sure there is no moist in the front fuse box. If the problem still exist then there is an exposed wire some where. If you have installed a remote start or a security alarm that may cause this problem. Get a flashlight and get under the kick panel and check for any exposed wires. Some times electric tape can also hide exposed wire.
Old 01-17-18, 03:19 PM
DZeeLs400
Driver School Candidate

It happened after I was coming back from washing my car so you are right. I pulled out the heater relay from the front fuse box and there was a lot of oily moisture in prongs of the relay so I cleaned it up and used hair dryer to put some heat in the front fuse box. I tested the climate control while my key was in "on" position and everything was working fine. I pressed the A/C button a couple of times and nothing happened. I started the engine and then pressed the A/C button and the fuse blew up again. I am thinking that compressor wiring might be bad as compressor is the only thing that starts to run when the engine is started and is related to A/C. I did find some melted plastic around the compressor pulley so I might be something burning around it? Although I don't smell anything burning when the engine is started and the wires look fine too. Thanks for your reply as it solves partial problem since the fuse would blow up even when the key was in "on" position before. However I still need help in fixing the issue. There is remote start or security alarm installed in my car.
Old 01-17-18, 06:21 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Unplug the AC compressor harness and fire up the car then turn on the AC, if the problem goes away, it would mean the compressor has a short wire.
The following users liked this post:
DZeeLs400 (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 06:16 PM
DZeeLs400
Driver School Candidate

Ok the problem has been fixed. i removed the AC compressor switch like you said and the problem went away. Later that night I was driving the car and started to smell something burning and after a while it got really worse as I could not even breathe inside the car. I opened the hood and could see a lot of smoke coming out of compressor. The next day I replaced the compressor with another used one as I found someone who was parting out their Lexus. After installing the new compressor everything is working fine and the fuse is no longer blowing up. It seems like something may have shorted out inside the compressor due to excessive heat. I can't see any damage outside of compressor. Thanks for all your help.