LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 06:07 AM
Hobycat
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hello.

I am a new member here as I have purchased a one owner white with grey trim, mint, garaged! whole life, 73,300 mile 1999 LS400 this weekend.
I am looking forward to a long life with this car as I tend to keep vehicles at least 10 years. I have already learned much Thanks to this site.

I noticed in the records the previous 86 y.o.(he'd purchased as retirement gift to self) owner had not changed it. Should I keep it parked until replaced.
I'm leaning that way.Opinions needed.
Old 12-17-17, 06:46 AM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Might be easier to help if we know what it is he did not change.
Old 12-17-17, 10:35 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the LS!
Old 12-17-17, 10:39 AM
marklfarkl
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobycat
I am a new member here as I have purchased a one owner white with grey trim, mint, garaged! whole life, 73,300 mile 1999 LS400 this weekend.
I am looking forward to a long life with this car as I tend to keep vehicles at least 10 years. I have already learned much Thanks to this site.

I noticed in the records the previous 86 y.o.(he'd purchased as retirement gift to self) owner had not changed it. Should I keep it parked until replaced.
I'm leaning that way.Opinions needed.
Welcome to the forum. I am also a new member. Just purchased a 1995 LS400 a couple days ago with 99k miles on it for $3,200. This forum has so much helpful information.The only sad thing about that is I may never need to post a question because most of them have already been answered! Makes it hard to get to know the people on here. :-)
Old 12-17-17, 11:03 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the board and congrats on a nice find!

I am assuming you are asking about the timing belt/water pump. If it were my car I would change it as soon as possible but wouldn’t necessarily park the car while waiting.
Old 12-17-17, 11:35 AM
Hobycat
Driver

Woops. Sorry,funny,I was thinking and writing just not writing.

Thanks for the welcome and responses. Yes I meant to write: timing belt, water pump, seals, tensioner and bearings. I just don't want to chance the engine
on a 18 year old timing belt. Still welcoming your thoughts.
Old 12-17-17, 12:15 PM
Hobycat
Driver

Starting to feel a bit better about driving after I read this.
Quote:Originally Posted by zippinbye
My friend became owner #3 an 02 LS 430 on my advice last year. 147k mileage. Records consisted of owner #1 taking it to the dealer for everything through 60K or so. Owner #2 had indie shop records, quite detailed for oil changes, brakes, coolant change and a few other things, all done at responsible intervals. No docs on TB. Seller didn't know #*&$ about cars, but we kind of assumed the TB had been done based on evident overall care, but there was no sticker indicating so. Called the indy. He couldn't remember doing it, but said his often advises customers to wait until the water pump weeps or makes noise, and then do the whole package. He said "I'm 38, started as an oil change monkey at at a Lexus dealer at 18. Went to tech school and became full-fledged line service guy. 15 years in Toy/Lex dealers, now 5 in my own place. I have never seen a hydraulically tensioned Toyota engine break a belt. Period. Seen them with 300K+ even. But reality is the pump goes in the 100-150K range, and that's when I recommend changing the belt. On a typical 90K LS, I'd rather see my customers tend to a front end issue or some other maintenance item rather than waste a grand on something unnecessary." Enlightening from a guy who could have made more money going the other way. My buddy used the lack of TB change proof as leverage, and the seller honored it dollar for dollar.

Anyhow, said LS water pump got squeaky at 155K. We took it apart a few days ago and found that everything associated with timing and cooling was original. And in good visual condition. We're waiting on parts, but it will be rolling with a new belt, tensioned water pump, and coolant very soon. Based on what I saw, I don't have much grief that my GX has 95K and I'm waiting until I have some time off next month to address it.
I got the exact same advice from a trusted independent Toyota/Lexus tech when I called him to see how much he would charge to change my timing belt at 90K. He advised me to wait if/until the water pump started failing and then change the timing belt then.
Old 12-18-17, 08:48 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Wouldn't worry too much about driving it while getting parts/appointment to get the belt replaced. Congrats on the low mileage purchase and welcome to the club. Hope your vehicle continues to treat you well. Your car is the possible younger twin sibling to mine, but I've got over 225K on mine.. you're going to have to work hard to catch up.
Old 12-18-17, 03:58 PM
Hobycat
Driver

Thanks for the reassurance Legender. Will do,I'll try to catch up.
Old 02-15-18, 05:51 PM
Hobycat
Driver

Finally.... got the timing belt, drive belt, tension & idler bearing, thermostat, water pump, oil,coolant, coolant temp sensor, brake fluid, diff fluid,trans fluid, power steering fluid, drive belt & drive belt idler bearing (all torqued to spec.). All parts-fluids, Lexus, Toyota, Aisin or Denso.......by me! Now changing the bulbs to led's.Couldn't have done it without all the contributed written input on this wonderful forum. Thanks to all, for your help! I have read, wrenched and sweated and loved every moment.

What a car! I have put around 500 miles on it. I feel like that movie kid with a new Red Ryder bb gun! My brother is trying to get me to change-update the 98-2000 wheels, not gonna happen.Other than some minor upgrades she stays original. To me kids, I'm 54, this is what a sedan is spose'd to look like (not an intergalactic martian mover ). Time for a road trip.

Last edited by Hobycat; 02-15-18 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 07:52 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

welcome and very nice find, they don't make em better than the LS 400!
Old 02-15-18, 10:25 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

You really just need to worry about the camshaft and crankshaft seals due to age at this point. Mine failed on my 97 2 years ago in 2015 so if yours are original, then they most likely will fail soon as well. It’s almost 20yr old rubber seals so I wouldn’t risk it
Old 02-16-18, 02:57 AM
Hobycat
Driver

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
You really just need to worry about the camshaft and crankshaft seals due to age at this point. Mine failed on my 97 2 years ago in 2015 so if yours are original, then they most likely will fail soon as well. It’s almost 20yr old rubber seals so I wouldn’t risk it

I didn't do those considering it wouldn't be as bad if those leaked and were seen and I fixed them as they appeared. I also took into account the age, our local climate, mileage, and the fact it was stored in a garage it's entire life by one owner. When I removed the original timing belt it looked like it had 500 miles on it was pliable and all threads intact. You got me thinking on my next project.
Old 02-16-18, 04:09 AM
Hobycat
Driver

Btw, I have the upper 2 part touch up paint 040 and 051. What is the lower light grey color?
Old 02-16-18, 01:09 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Quick Reply: Hello.