LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Distributor rotor alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-17, 11:59 AM
doyodoyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Distributor rotor alignment

My 94 ls400 wont start but cranks after timing belt replacement. I followed lexls.com direction from start to end. I am suspecting or unsure of the distributor rotor placement in the distributor housing . The picture on lexls.com shows the plastic part of the rotor points to the marking on the distributor housing while the text said the protrusion side should direct to the marking on the distributor house. please someone inform me how to place the rotor metal tip with respect to the distributor housing marking. If possible with picture. Thanks.
Old 11-09-17, 03:19 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

This might help. The lexls.com page is not completely accurate on this issue.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-backfire.html
Old 11-09-17, 04:34 PM
doyodoyo
Driver School Candidate

thank you oldskewel . Yes, there must be mistake on lexls,com picture. I am in the process of resetting the rotor. I will see if it the engine starts after the change. thank you for the link it talks like you said mistake on lexls.com.
Old 11-09-17, 07:51 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by doyodoyo
My 94 ls400 wont start but cranks after timing belt replacement. I followed lexls.com direction from start to end. I am suspecting or unsure of the distributor rotor placement in the distributor housing . The picture on lexls.com shows the plastic part of the rotor points to the marking on the distributor housing while the text said the protrusion side should direct to the marking on the distributor house. please someone inform me how to place the rotor metal tip with respect to the distributor housing marking. If possible with picture. Thanks.
The text (step 47) from Lexls actually says "Align the protrusion of the rotor with the groove of the camshaft timing pulley". Nothing about the distributor housing.
The protrusion (tab) is on the BACK side of the rotor which fits into the groove (notch) of the camshaft pulley.
With the rotor off you can see the groove next to the cam pulley bolt.

The Lexls text for this step is word for word from the service manual. But the manual has a pic of the protrusion and groove so it's easier to follow. Alot of members have made the mistake of putting the rotors on backwards b/c the wording gets confusing, especially when you start rushing b/c you're close to the finish.
Old 11-09-17, 09:36 PM
doyodoyo
Driver School Candidate

deanshark : yes, like you said I make a mistake when I read the statement on step 47 of the lexls.com. one reason is that i read somewhere in on other website that says "align the protrude side to the marking on the distributor house marking" which was actually right.
But when I install the rotor, I looked to the picture on lexls.com between step 11 and 12 and aligned it accordingly.On that picture especially the LH side distributor you can see how the protrusion side aligned with respect to the distributor housing mark. I still say that Picture is the cause of the mistake for me and others. Anyway after I aligned the metal side(protrusion) of the rotor with the marking on the distributor house , the car starts and runs smoothly. I did not yet took it for a ride because it is late night here.I will drive it tomorrow and see how it runs. when i install the rotor I read step 47 and looked to the picture (b/n steps 11 and 12) because of that I turned 180 degree of the mark.sorry, I read your response after I realigned the rotor. I didn't make use of the groove next to the cam bolt. sorry also for my original statement saying distributor housing instead of the groove of camshaft timing pulley.Thanks for the clarification.