Improving performance of oem cop ignition coils - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Improving performance of oem cop ignition coils

Old 10-22-17, 11:20 AM   #1
YODAONE
Lead Lap

Default Improving performance of oem cop ignition coils

The COP (coil on plug) ignition coils on 1998-2000 LS400 reside atop 185- 200 F Aluminum valve cover which radiates heat onto and into these components and wiring.

Electronics perform more efficiently and last longer when not operating continuously at elevated temperatures .such as on top of a hot engine.

The wiring harness loom side plastic connector shells do not like such elevated temperatures either....each time it becomes necessary to disconnect a component connector I am confronted with replacing the connector shell.

Accordingly, in order to finish the work in one session, I plan ahead and order connector shells before disconnecting particular components.

All of the COP wire harness side connectors are brittle and have lost their locking tabs because they are cooking atop hot valve covers...

To Toyota's credit, these connectors are readily available...but the 1990-1994 LS400's used rubber shrouds over many of their engine bay connectors and work like new

So, it seems logical that insulating these 8 coils from direct engine heat will yield benefits in increased coil performance.and efficiency resulting from lower operating temperature...such as lower coil resistance...Side profile of right valve cover with COP. My guess is the valve cove triangle shaped ridge on right is deflect rising exhaust heat away from coils.
Top profile of the valve cover...Polishing the Aluminum cover would reduce surface area thus amount of radiated heat...
While it would also improve the appearance, not sure impact on engine cooling...

Another way is towards thermal management is to insulated the valve cover COP valley to block radiated heat from reaching the coils. Raw sample of DEI
Performance Products 3/16" heat barrier shown.

Another image depicting DEI heat barrier at bottom of coil valley. DEI's material incorporates 600 F high tack pressure sensitive adhesive... A single piece would easily be patterned to fit the entire valley.

bottom of valley has tapped bosses for mounting coils which are about 3/8" high so plently of space below coils.

DEI Heat Barrier Composite composition
YODAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-17, 06:29 PM   #2
dicer
Lexus Champion

Use coils mounted else where and in a cool location, and run good old wires to the plugs. I bet a place like MSD would have something.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-17, 06:52 PM   #3
YODAONE
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
Use coils mounted else where and in a cool location, and run good old wires to the plugs. I bet a place like MSD would have something.
Now that is a project for another day, meanwhile am spending $10 for thermal insulating material that presents incremental improvement within the framework of the existing ignition system
Old 10-23-17, 11:05 PM   #4
Losiracer2
Lead Lap

how expensive are each one of those coils to replace if they go bad? It makes me glad that I have the older 97 model which uses two main coils in front w/ caps and rotors.
Losiracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 06:40 AM   #5
YODAONE
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losiracer2 View Post
how expensive are each one of those coils to replace if they go bad? It makes me glad that I have the older 97 model which uses two main coils in front w/ caps and rotors.
Not inexpensive but better, more consistent performance than rotorrs, caps, spark plug wires...which degrade through use and time