LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

91 LS400 Sticking RPM Needle

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 09:09 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 91 LS400 Sticking RPM Needle

Hello everyone, My car is driving me nuts, when I fix one problem another problem emerges. Couple of hours ago I was driving and my Tachometer or RPM needle started sticking. It gets stuck at the high rev position and when I turn off the engine, the needle will go down but not all the way down. Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-17, 10:05 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

That's a fairly common issue on these cars. Speedo will follow not far behind. I (think I) can fix almost anything, but have so far failed at these. I believe it is a purely mechanical issue in the tachometer.

I've spent hours reading through similar problems on this site. Main piece of advice is to know that there were changes from year to year in the instrument cluster. So I think 90-91 have the same issues. 92+ (or maybe 93+) are built differently and have different issues (things like the lit needles going dark). So when reading on here or getting advice, pay very close attention to what year they're talking about, because it may be completely irrelevant to your problem.

Quick advice - a quick fix many have success with is to simply bang on the top of the dash to knock it free. I never did that, figuring I'd be better off ignoring the incorrect gauge than to possibly damage something else by banging. But if you try it and it does fix it temporarily, that would confirm the problem as being mechanical.

From all the other reports on here, and some of my own experience, the problem should be temperature related. Except that most on here report it as getting bad when it gets really hot, but I found it would start happening when it was really cold.

Last thing - the car will drive just fine without a tach. :-) Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
AlaskanLS (09-16-17)
Old 09-16-17, 12:02 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
That's a fairly common issue on these cars. Speedo will follow not far behind. I (think I) can fix almost anything, but have so far failed at these. I believe it is a purely mechanical issue in the tachometer.

I've spent hours reading through similar problems on this site. Main piece of advice is to know that there were changes from year to year in the instrument cluster. So I think 90-91 have the same issues. 92+ (or maybe 93+) are built differently and have different issues (things like the lit needles going dark). So when reading on here or getting advice, pay very close attention to what year they're talking about, because it may be completely irrelevant to your problem.

Quick advice - a quick fix many have success with is to simply bang on the top of the dash to knock it free. I never did that, figuring I'd be better off ignoring the incorrect gauge than to possibly damage something else by banging. But if you try it and it does fix it temporarily, that would confirm the problem as being mechanical.

From all the other reports on here, and some of my own experience, the problem should be temperature related. Except that most on here report it as getting bad when it gets really hot, but I found it would start happening when it was really cold.

Last thing - the car will drive just fine without a tach. :-) Good luck.
I believe you are right about temperature. This morning it's cold outside and the tachometer started working just fine. And I totally agree with you that it can drive fine without tach. I can live without tach in my car as well. Thank you soo much for reply. In future if it stops working. I wouldn't care.