LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need some help on replacing the seal to hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-17, 11:57 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need some help on replacing the seal to hood

Ok, so I thought I would make a separate post on this. So, in short, the guy who did my windshield messed things up and my hood shakes. I found out from here (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...djustment.html) that my seal to the hood was missing. I am going to pick up the OEM one from here (https://parts.lexusofenglewood.com/o...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D) however my question is, the clip I need for it (https://parts.lexusofenglewood.com/o...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D) is that just the push pins that hold the cowl in or is that something else?
Old 07-30-17, 06:10 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

contact the windshield installer.......
Old 07-30-17, 11:53 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
contact the windshield installer.......
I already have and let's just say I would not recommend anyone to go use Safelite. I have called them 3 times and I either get told someone will call me in a few days or the manager is not in. They left a glass mess all inside my car which I got a video and pictures of. I should have read their Yelp reviews, all well lesson learned. When I called first they told me to bring the car down to look at it and they cleaned the glass mess. (The installer came to my work to install the windshield). Then they said they would call me back. I am still waiting on that call, and when I call them I am told the manager is not in.

I am going to give them another call of course because I feel I should not pay for the damage they have done to the car. However, I would prefer to install it myself so I know how it's done. If anyone can send me pics or tell me how to install one that would be great
Old 07-30-17, 04:05 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by winter4w
I already have and let's just say I would not recommend anyone to go use Safelite. I have called them 3 times and I either get told someone will call me in a few days or the manager is not in. They left a glass mess all inside my car which I got a video and pictures of. I should have read their Yelp reviews, all well lesson learned. When I called first they told me to bring the car down to look at it and they cleaned the glass mess. (The installer came to my work to install the windshield). Then they said they would call me back. I am still waiting on that call, and when I call them I am told the manager is not in.

I am going to give them another call of course because I feel I should not pay for the damage they have done to the car. However, I would prefer to install it myself so I know how it's done. If anyone can send me pics or tell me how to install one that would be great
File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and it will get their attention.
Old 07-30-17, 06:30 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and it will get their attention.
Guess I will do that next.

Also looking at how my windshield was done to see if anything else got messed up, I am guessing the trim is not suppose to have that space it has in that image:

Old 07-31-17, 05:36 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Nope, the trim should not look like that; the trim should reach to both sides. For your hood seal, see if there's a junkyard or a pick and pull yard nearby.

Windshield installation is an art, so it's worth finding another professional to do it.
The following users liked this post:
winter4w (07-31-17)
Old 07-31-17, 05:59 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Nope, the trim should not look like that; the trim should reach to both sides. For your hood seal, see if there's a junkyard or a pick and pull yard nearby.

Windshield installation is an art, so it's worth finding another professional to do it.
With Safelite being such a big company I would assume they would have professionals.

So after tired of waiting for a call and talking to their support on twitter I went and gave my insurance a call. They hooked me up to Safelite and then hooked me up with the manager of the store. We all setup an appointment to go down there to check out the damage (again) and then setup an appointment to get this all fixed and sorted it. I will continue to share my progress on this post if anyone is interested in it.
Old 07-31-17, 06:38 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With Safelite being such a big company I would assume they would have professionals.

So after tired of waiting for a call and talking to their support on twitter I went and gave my insurance a call. They hooked me up to Safelite and then hooked me up with the manager of the store. We all setup an appointment to go down there to check out the damage (again) and then setup an appointment to get this all fixed and sorted it. I will continue to share my progress on this post if anyone is interested in it.
I'm interested,please let us know.Good Luck
Old 08-01-17, 03:51 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
I'm interested,please let us know.Good Luck
Update: So I took my car down today and they looked into the issues of the gap and missing seal along with the dash scratch again and said they should be able to get everything fixed at once on Thursday or Friday. They will order the hood seal from Lexus and said it may take up to 2 days so I will be getting the OEM seal. To fix the molding and dash they would need to take off my windshield again to do the repairs along with looking to see if anything else was done improperly.

I would be interested to see what the dash guy will do to repair my dash. I am going to request to watch the repairs just to make sure everything is done properly. If he does a good job at fixing it I may ask to see how much he will charge to fix a small crack near the front of my dash.

So now I guess we wait until Thursday or Friday
The following 2 users liked this post by winter4w:
CELSI0R (08-02-17), UNCNOR (08-01-17)
Old 08-01-17, 06:49 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Update: So I took my car down today and they looked into the issues of the gap and missing seal along with the dash scratch again and said they should be able to get everything fixed at once on Thursday or Friday. They will order the hood seal from Lexus and said it may take up to 2 days so I will be getting the OEM seal. To fix the molding and dash they would need to take off my windshield again to do the repairs along with looking to see if anything else was done improperly.

I would be interested to see what the dash guy will do to repair my dash. I am going to request to watch the repairs just to make sure everything is done properly. If he does a good job at fixing it I may ask to see how much he will charge to fix a small crack near the front of my dash.

So now I guess we wait until Thursday or Friday
I'm glad you were able to gain traction and hold them accountable for their mistakes. Hopefully it'll all be fixed soon for you.
Old 08-01-17, 07:47 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
I'm glad you were able to gain traction and hold them accountable for their mistakes. Hopefully it'll all be fixed soon for you.
Yea the store manager also called after I went home and asked if everything went ok with the inspection. I asked him what companies they use to repair the dash so I can pull up some reviews on them. First one was CNB Restoration, however, I was unable to find them online. The second one they use was Unique Auto Upholstery and I was able to find them on yelp (https://www.yelp.com/biz/unique-upholstery-scottsdale) (Or I believe that's them).

I will post another update after I get all the work done along with before and after pictures Hopefully, this will be all settled by the end of this week.
Old 08-03-17, 12:19 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Update: Ok guys so I need some help now. I just got told the dealer does not seal anymore (53383-50020). They have been contacting some places as well as well as me with no hope. People list it for sale but when I call to see if it's in stock they say they don't sell it anymore. Do any of you have a parts car or know of a site where I can get a seal?

Thanks
Old 08-03-17, 12:44 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Add-On update:

So I found 2 96 LS400's in a junkyard near me. I am going to check them out later today but I am wondering if there are any special tools I need to take out the seal if one of them have it?

Thanks
Old 08-03-17, 05:11 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Update:

So went to the junk yard and figured it out. The clips the guy put in my car are push pens when they should be those T clips to hold in the seal. I took them off both LS400's that were there along with as many of the clips as I can. Some clips broke and some were too difficult to get out since I did not bring the tool box (Lol just used the tool kit in my LS400). The rubber on both seals and still soft so I am going to keep one as a spare so I don't have to run into this issue again. So next step would be to see about my dash getting fixed and the molding on the windshield.

I may also head back to take some other parts from it. One still has the full glass headlamp, radio, climate control, and instrument cluster. I was unable to look in the trunk of them due to them being shut and the battery was removed. Not sure if there is a manual way to open the trunk.
Old 08-09-17, 04:24 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Update:

Alright so on Monday I went to get everything fixed and I gotta say it went well. I had my entire dash restored so all the cracks were fixed as you can see from the pictures below. Sadly I did not get an image of the crack the tech made before it was fixed however another crack I made a post about here (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...sh-cracks.html) got fixed too. The seal molding at the top was aligned properly since the decided to give me another brand new windshield (The other new one got a new chip in it plus they had to redo the seal). The weather strip I got a the junkyard were installed so now my hood is stable and not shaking . Now the only thing I need to wait for is the refund check in the mail for the parts I got at the junkyard.

Another pro is I have plans in the future if my seats start to wear out more to take them to the guy who did my dash since he works on just about everything on the inside. I do have plans one day to restore that car from "Used" to "New" condition. So I would say in the end everything paid off.

What do you guys think of the dash work done to the car judging by the pictures? One concern I had was the color not matching but he did a good job on making it match. He says he has been doing it for 20 years.

The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (08-09-17)