LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fly and drive, what to look out for?

Old 07-06-17, 09:44 AM
luxobarge8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly and drive, what to look out for?

Hi Guys,
I'm finally in a position to buy an LS400 after admiring them for so long. Problem is, I do not want to purchase one from my home state of Michigan because of body rust. So I'm planning to fly out to LA at the end of August for a vacation/LS400 purchase and then drive it back home. There are tons of 400's on the market in LA, and my upper limit is $3000, so I think I should be able to find a nice 150,000 miler that has been well maintained in that price range. Besides maintenance records, what should I be looking for when purchasing an LS with this kind of milage? Timing belt should be replaced at 90,000 mile intervals so I'll check for that, and I know that replacing the starter is a big job so I'll check for that as well. What else should I be aware of?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-17, 10:45 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I think that's taking a risk, Just looking on CL I don't see too many LS's that meet your criteria.
Even this one that meets your price does not meet your mileage expectation.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/6204350084.html

What
model year are you looking for? 98-2000 are the preferred with the latest updates and features. They will be more pricey.

I'd expect what you're looking for to cost north of $4k... similar to this model...

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/6206730668.html

You need to be looking for great maintenance records. Plan on getting it inspected before you get on the road to know if it's even going to make it.
Not to rain on your parade, but do some planning and don't just be hoping things will work out alright. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-06-17, 04:27 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Sounds like a good idea to me. I don't know how the Lexus market compares in SoCal vs. NorCal, but I'll say we don't have rust problems up here either.

I expect most cars go on the market for a while and don't sell right away, so you may be able to scout out some options before booking the flight.
Old 07-06-17, 04:42 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

my car is for sale but out of your range. there are some ok to sub-par LS400s on the market that pop up every now and then so keep searching. finding a cream-puff of a car will be very difficult in a very dense area like California. if you do find one, be ready to shell out more cheddar for it (my case for example, shameless plug)!

socal, or norcal, it will be the same story. central cal is generally a bust, though I did find my current 97 in Bakersfield!
Old 07-06-17, 07:40 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=ls400

That's the SF Bay Area LS400 market right now. Look OK?
Old 07-06-17, 11:53 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Here are a few nice ones in AZ. I found mine in AZ back in Oct 2015 since I was living there, just moved to MI 2 months ago for a job, garage kept and zero rust for around 3k but had high miles at 253k. Though the guy did almost 1k in recent maintenance so I factored that into the purchase. Make sure in addition to the T belt that they replaced the Cam and Crank seals. Mine supposedly was done 50k ago when i bought it but 2k miles later the crank seal failed and coated the belt in oil so I had to do the Tbelt job immediately but it gave me peace of mind knowing that it was done and I know that a quality Aisin kit was used. I'm good until 350k now.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ctd/6199881824.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/6191683971.html

there's one in the SF CL that someone posted that looks decent and its a Coach edition:

https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/6172997952.html

Last edited by Losiracer2; 07-07-17 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-07-17, 01:12 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Most all those Ca cars will be low option jobs, and bad paint from the hot sun and lack of shade trees etc. and there still can be rust it does get wet there and people do drive to the mountains etc.
Old 07-07-17, 05:34 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=ls400

That's the SF Bay Area LS400 market right now. Look OK?
I did not see anything in there that would compel me to fly out to San Fran for. Lot's of damaged/wrecked ones and high mileage. Personally I'd only purchase a 99 or 2000 model based on options/features.
Call me spoiled, but I need that wood steering wheel feel in my hands.
Old 07-09-17, 08:22 AM
luxobarge8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's a little risky, and I know I won't be getting a top notch cream puff for 3 grand. But I look at it as an adventure/vacation. I'm going to FedEx my tool box to my friends house in cali so that I'll have them with me for the drive home.
I'm thinking maintenance records are key, and then have it inspected at a dealership before purchase. What does a dealership inspection cover that a shadetree mechanic with attention to detail couldn't spot, besides a compression test?
Thanks for all your responses!
Old 07-09-17, 10:40 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

What year are you looking for? 98-00 will be tough at $3k. At that price the 98-00 will be over 200k. And how big is your tool box that you're going to ship? Wouldn't it be easier to go buy a basic toolset after you buy the car?
Old 07-09-17, 10:56 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by luxobarge8
I know it's a little risky, and I know I won't be getting a top notch cream puff for 3 grand. But I look at it as an adventure/vacation. I'm going to FedEx my tool box to my friends house in cali so that I'll have them with me for the drive home.
I'm thinking maintenance records are key, and then have it inspected at a dealership before purchase. What does a dealership inspection cover that a shadetree mechanic with attention to detail couldn't spot, besides a compression test?
Thanks for all your responses!
I think you may be worrying too much. An LS400 would probably be the best car > 10 years old to fly and drive. My '91 with 196k miles is probably the most reliable car I have other than my old Porsche. Tools may be helpful in diagnosis, but you probably won't need them on the return trip.

As far as what to look for, I'd narrow the type of car you're looking for (what years), and then you can look on this site, including the stickies, for common problem areas. Then look carefully at those. I know power steering and lower ball joints are common problems on the early gen1 cars, at least. A PPI at a _dealership_ is the last thing I'd recommend. For things you can't inspect yourself, an indy would be better.

Also, you might want to plan out a return path that is a fun road trip. There are some fantastic road tripping destinations on your way home. I hit these spots on a family road trip summer vacation a few years ago: Yosemite, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Route 66. And we didn't even go East of any of those. And of course making it a road trip will make the long drive less of a chore and more of a vacation.
Old 07-09-17, 11:02 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Legender
I did not see anything in there that would compel me to fly out to San Fran for. Lot's of damaged/wrecked ones and high mileage. Personally I'd only purchase a 99 or 2000 model based on options/features.
Call me spoiled, but I need that wood steering wheel feel in my hands.
Flying from TX to CA for this purpose might not make sense, but I expect MI to CA is a different story. Weather aside, MI has a vested interest in making sure cars don't last a long time.

I have not shopped, but I do look at the craigslist ads posted up here from time to time, and am generally amazed at the good deals on good LS400's in TX.
Old 07-10-17, 11:12 AM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I have not shopped, but I do look at the craigslist ads posted up here from time to time, and am generally amazed at the good deals on good LS400's in TX.
TX, AZ, FL are the places to look for well-cared-for examples at excellent prices. They might be in as good condition in LA, but they won't be as cheap.
Old 07-10-17, 09:38 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mappo
TX, AZ, FL are the places to look for well-cared-for examples at excellent prices. They might be in as good condition in LA, but they won't be as cheap.
I can attest to my AZ garage kept car. It has 283k miles and I can remove every nut and bolt underneath the car with simple hand tools. The only trade-off is the leather interior was not as plush as midwest cars and the bushings dry rot earlier than cars found in cooler climates. Luckily I was able to find plenty of "snowbirds" cars in the JYs in AZ that I pillaged perfect leather interior trim pieces from. I have 3 spare center console lids as spares when mine finally wears out.