LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Day 3 as a Lexus owner.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 03:51 PM
jmpp4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Day 3 as a Lexus owner.

Hello from Virginia, About 4 days ago, out of nowhere, I was told by my friend/Mechanic of a very nice 99 LS400.. Sure it had high miles, (150k)., but he had worked on the car for 15 years and printed out it's entire history.. Spent a day here...and everywhere trying to learn everything about the year/car. So now I own a $5300 Lexus and have driven it 300 miles over the last two days. Love it !! Beautiful inside and out. . Kind of disappointing that so few wheels fit the car.. Was looking for a simple +1 upgrade to 17's and new tires, but despite hours of looking, I'm finding those pesky front calipers to be the big roadblock to my dreams. The car is Silver Jade with the med green cladding and gray interior. But wanted to say hello and thanks for this forum and the many answered questions I was able get to make my jump into this car less of a worry..
Old 07-02-17, 05:08 PM
evan55
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pics?

and look here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...400-bbk-2.html
Old 07-02-17, 06:17 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

High miles...

150k...

lol!

That's LOW miles!

Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
jmpp4 (07-02-17)
Old 07-02-17, 06:46 PM
jmpp4
Driver School Candidate

Thanx...something more to read !. i LIKE THE ls430 seven slot chrome wheels though they appear to be pricey and rare.

Not saying there's not many wheels, just less wheels and styles than any other Lexus/car it appears. .Plus it's a light green lux car so black wheels are out. I was leaning towards TSW Stlverstones, but nope...not going to happen. The next scary thing would be quality of brands I've never heard of. How true are these wheels, how do they balance? .Emkei EMK3's will prob get the default nod but was hoping for something more than a BBS clone. I like the Platinum Marathon...but Platinum???? Anybody seen or experienced this company?. Sounds like a strip club. The LS400 is such a heavy looking car, I was looking for a more substantial look..While there are a 100+ pages of LS cars with wheels, most are pre1999 and also heavily modified. . The search continues...
Old 07-03-17, 03:45 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee365
High miles...

150k...

lol!

That's LOW miles!

Enjoy.
Yeah. I bought one slightly crashed (when I get that hood, I'll be so happy) LS400 with ****ty maintenance and 200k miles. Well, an oil change, Coolant Temp Sensor replacement (look that up - get some power back easy), replacing bad power steering pump, and putting in a new radiator, this car that was NOT looked after well is driving very, very well now. Just those things I mentioned above changed the characteristics of the car a good 30%. More power, better mileage, much better throttle response. All that's left for me to do is get an alignment and change the rear brakes, which I'm doing today.

It's been a month and a half and I'm in love with the car. Congrats on your purchase!
Old 07-05-17, 11:07 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

you are looking at the wrong wheels. if you get 17s with incorrect offset and spoke design, they will not only not clear the calipers, they will also look more awkward than OE due to being too narrow! if you need help with wheel fitment, just ask or show what type of wheels you are interested in, we can help here!

welcome and check the FAQ for more info!
Old 07-05-17, 04:41 PM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep the original oem wheels, they look so nice and classy, trust me you are not upgrading if you went with aftermarket or something else, the rides will be crap and looks like it to.
Old 07-05-17, 08:02 PM
jmpp4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your feedback but the deal is done. Tires/wheels were ordered and mounted. I spent days reading everything here and other forums as well. Well over a 100 pages of photos and comments. What happens often is not intended to be mean but, instead the wishes of the OP get lost as everyone's opinion goes in different positions. This car might look better to you or me if it had 20" wheels, but my budget, ride quality and even car color radically defined the choices. Running 15 degrees of camber is not something I find attractive. I will never drift a car, roll fenders...but I understand the passion just like I understand the appeal of a Foose custom verses a rat rod. I'm 62 years old and have a beautiful cruiser to take a trip a few times a year or a weekend drive to lift the spirits. Better sound might be the next item.
My first real job out of High school in 73' was at a Rolls,Jag, Ferrari ,Maserati,Lambo, Aston Martin, and Jensen dealer in Palm Beach, Florida. Pretty cool for a teen mechanic out of auto Tech school. Got to drive everything. Those Rolls and Bentley's forever shaped my idea of a touring car. While a Daytona and Espada were my fave fast cars, the Silver Shadow's were stunning cars to sit in and nice to drive compared to the giant Silver Clouds and Phantom 5 limos.
I wanted nothing less than a 55 profile and a +1 wheel. Budget was around $1200 for everything out the door. I'll post a photo tomorrow . Again, Thanx for the help, please take no offense if I chose something I liked. Not loved....just liked.
Old 07-07-17, 11:34 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I love the grey leather in these cars. Better than black and waaaayyyy better than tan. Post up some pictures!

But you you should have gone with The LS430 17s or even 18s
Old 07-09-17, 05:30 PM
creilly
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
I love the grey leather in these cars. Better than black and waaaayyyy better than tan. Post up some pictures!

But you you should have gone with The LS430 17s or even 18s
Haha that's an opinion I've not seen before. I can't stand the grey leather on these cars, though it seems like a lot of people really don't like the brown interior mine has.

Also, yeah pictures!
Old 07-10-17, 05:09 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by creilly
Haha that's an opinion I've not seen before. I can't stand the grey leather on these cars, though it seems like a lot of people really don't like the brown interior mine has.

Also, yeah pictures!
I greatly prefer the grey color scheme to the others. To me, the colors are perfect just about.
Old 07-19-17, 12:34 PM
jmpp4
Driver School Candidate

Here is my new car. Silver jade with a green/gray interior. Wasn't looking for radical camber,springs or anything less than 55 series tires. Wheels are Enkei. If money was no object, I'd choose differently. But money is a primary concern along with getting rid of the stock wheels. This tire/wheel combo was$1200. That gives me a $6500 car in very nice shape with 150K miles. Thanx for your advice everyone.
Old 07-19-17, 05:53 PM
creilly
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jmpp4

Here is my new car. Silver jade with a green/gray interior. Wasn't looking for radical camber,springs or anything less than 55 series tires. Wheels are Enkei. If money was no object, I'd choose differently. But money is a primary concern along with getting rid of the stock wheels. This tire/wheel combo was$1200. That gives me a $6500 car in very nice shape with 150K miles. Thanx for your advice everyone.
Looks pretty good! Often people putting more reasonably sized aftermarket wheels end up with too little sidewall but this looks good I think. Very reasonable fitment.