LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Thinking about buying a ls400

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 05:35 PM
peepthebes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a ls400

So I was wondering because my dad thinks it's not the best buy and I just want your guys opinion. I'm an 18 year old guy about to enter college. I have a fast food job. I'm thinking about buying one, I have 2k saved up. I'm just wanting to see and I've seen a lot of reviews. I know its a great car but I feel like it's going to be a money pit honestly. I just want your guys opinion and I have heard the parts cost a lot since they are lexus and it's somewhat old and I just want your guys opinion on what I should do or any advice! Thanks !!!
Old 06-08-17, 06:42 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think it would be a bad decision honestly. I might recommend an ES model instead being that its slightly better on gas and its one of the cheapest, most reliable models. I am a little biased since I used to own one, but they are great cars as well! I actually just picked up an LS400 for exactly 2000 bucks. The engines in the early models 1990-1994 are extremely well built and very reliable. If your willing to sacrifice a little extra money for gas, I think it'd be a great choice! And if you don't care how the car looks, I'm sure you could find an LS model for under 2000 with cosmetic defects, but runs good. If its your first car, there might be better options as far as gas mileage and such, but personally I wish I would've had the LS as my first car! I'm not the most experienced user on here, so listen to what other more experienced users have to say too. Best of luck!
Old 06-08-17, 06:44 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Funny when I was that age I wanted a corvette or some nice 2 DOOR car, a 4 door was the very last thing I wanted, how times have changed. A good LS is what you may want, you need low miles and in tip top shape, and if you want it dependable you just drive it and fix what is needed. It is a huge mistake to try to do stupid modifications to the car, Lexus did all that for you. If you are the type that needs a project then get a good one to drive and another or some other brand junker to modify to your hearts content. Doing goofy mods makes it a money pit and every dime you spend on a mod you will never see it back. If you check you will see that top condition original cars sell for fairly high dollar amounts. And cars that have been modified and had huge dollars and time spent on them don't sell hardly at all. Because no one that knows even a small amount will buy a kids modified car, it is just not synonymous with the word dependability.
Old 06-08-17, 06:47 PM
peepthebes
Driver School Candidate

Default Hmm

I honestly don't mind spending a bit more gas and I honestly just want a car that will last right now and I'm trying to find a good one. There is one going for 1700 and has 210*** but the sunroof doesn't work and the inside seats on the front seats are bad due to being in the sun so much. And the front view mirror is somewhat cracked
Old 06-08-17, 06:53 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peepthebes
I honestly don't mind spending a bit more gas and I honestly just want a car that will last right now and I'm trying to find a good one. There is one going for 1700 and has 210*** but the sunroof doesn't work and the inside seats on the front seats are bad due to being in the sun so much. And the front view mirror is somewhat cracked
Keep looking. You can find better.
Old 06-08-17, 07:00 PM
peepthebes
Driver School Candidate

Default Can you check this

Here's one http://www.autochoice1.com/1998_Lexus_LS%20400_Charlotte_NC_8867996.veh
Old 06-08-17, 07:42 PM
Wheel_Man
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can find clean ones out there for cheap. I just bought this 95 LS400 3 weeks ago for only $1,500.00. Not ONE speck of rust anywhere. 2 owner with a clean Carfax and 130k miles. It was given to this kid and he didn't want it. I offered him $1,500 and he told me to come get it because he was sick of looking at it. True Story!!!
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about buying a ls400-20170527_174621.jpg   Thinking about buying a ls400-20170527_174416.jpg   Thinking about buying a ls400-20170527_174359.jpg  
Old 06-08-17, 07:57 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wheel_Man
You can find clean ones out there for cheap. I just bought this 95 LS400 3 weeks ago for only $1,500.00. Not ONE speck of rust anywhere. 2 owner with a clean Carfax and 130k miles. It was given to this kid and he didn't want it. I offered him $1,500 and he told me to come get it because he was sick of looking at it. True Story!!!
That's a steal! Even the inside looks minty fresh! Nice find
Old 06-08-17, 09:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Listen to your Dad, unless you're able to do work on it yourself it's going to cost you a ton in repairs.
Old 06-09-17, 12:38 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i would probably suggest an Accord or Civic...I started out with a 93 accord and it was very economical and cheap to maintain and repair. These LS400s are nice, but I wouldn't use it as a college car, especially since you'll most likely be driving around a city or town with tight congested roads right? these cars are made to drive on highways and open stretches.

I just did a tank of all city driving in my 97 LS and I averaged only 17.5mpg. My accord on the other hand gets 24-25 city, even with a swapped Prelude VTEC engine so, from a fueling perspective, it'll be a lot less expensive and you won't need premium.

Just an FYI, you'll probably spend double on maintenance based off my experience. Parts are more expensive and are not shared with any other platform so that makes it also more difficult to find them second hand.

Also, you'd think it being a big car, it would have tons of space, which it does for passengers in the back, but one thing is the fuel tank is right behind the seats, so that rules out folding them down to accomodate long items. For instance going to IKEA is a breeze in my Accord, fold the back seat down and it can take long planks of wood, skis, a bicycle, snow board, etc. the Lexus is good for luggage and smaller boxy items, just nothing long and awkward.

I'm just going off a perspective of a sorta recent college student, a luxury car wouldn't really fit well for the types of things you'd be hauling and the driving that you'd encounter.
Old 06-09-17, 07:39 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Around here accords and Honda's in general are always the targets of car thieves, so they must be an easy thing to steal. Find what Wheel_man found that is what you want. Don't settle for uncared for junk.
You can always offer and get the advertised price down.
https://columbia.craigslist.org/ctd/6166510840.html
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/6155289906.html

Last edited by dicer; 06-09-17 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-09-17, 07:54 AM
Saurael
Driver School Candidate

These are great cars with basic care. I purchased a 99 LS 400 for 2,700 with 170k with every documented maintenance record ever done. One owner a couple of dings but the car is solid. With your budget you will be getting more car for your money. For example leather seats, sunroof, power everything, nice system, bragging rights about having a buttery smooth V8, and very good reliability. I have had many civics (88,91,blue 2000 si*,01) and accords (05,10). None of those touch this car. But to each is own. IF you need a car that is good on gas get a civic. If you want a big body fully loaded car you know my answer. I'm contemplating buying my second one lol already!
Old 06-09-17, 08:38 AM
westopill
Intermediate

I second what Losiracer2 has to say. Buying a Civic or Accord for your college car is a great choice, and cheaper to maintain. I'm currently in college and I have a Prius and an LS400. The Prius is my daily winter beater and the LS is my fun summer car. Speaking from personal experience, a Prius wouldn't be the worst choice either. I would weigh your options and stay on top of your search, making sure to check on whats out there everyday so you don't miss any good deals.
Old 06-10-17, 07:52 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

For around 2k If it was me, I'd be looking at an older model Toyota Avalon. Those cars are tanks and built to last. They are the top of the line Toyota sedan and can have plenty of bells and whistles... I'm thinking 97-99 model years. The older body style Plenty or room on the inside and ride smoothly. Most used specimens, similar to LS400, were drive by older folks who took good care of their cars. They run regular gas and the parts, if needed, are cheaper and easier to come by. I've had seriously bad luck with Hondas I've owned from replaced transmissions to blown head gaskets. I think after the 1997 model year all Hondas are subject to one of those failures. My history with Toyota and Lexus vehicles has been much better, with a greater number of cars. A Camry would not be a poor choice either. I believe the newer models don't have a timing belt, so there's a bucket load of cash you could save on normal maintenance. Good luck. Just be aware, that any car, with >100k miles on it will need some repair/maintenance over time.
Old 06-11-17, 01:32 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I love my LS400 and only had issues when I fist got her since she was around 20K past her maintenance but other than a power steering leak she has been fine. The reason I picked up my LS400 was all the reviews I have read about it. However, even tho repairs are rare due to how reliable they are if a repair is needed it can become expensive. I always got some cash saved up in case something happens and me being a college student I find ways to fit it in my budget #LexusLove. Gas I get around 18 MPG and with gas prices going up you can expect around $50 each time you go to fill her up.

If you are looking to go skiing or do sports stuff that's when me and my car have a conflict. I am around 2 hrs away from a ski resort and don't have much room to put skis in my car. There is no ski rack for the LS400 and if it fits it does some sort of damage. Magnet racks I fear my skis will fly off and break (or worse hit another car), and I don't want to park my car to only come back and find someones skis/snowboard bashed a new dent. I am thinking of getting a Subaru Outback, 4Runner, or Honda CRV for skiing/road trips. But I use my LS400 as a daily driver and she feels and runs like new. Just make sure all the maintenance is done and get it checked out by a mechanic before buying.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a ls400