LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 Ls400 seat recline fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 05:05 AM
deansst
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1993 Ls400 seat recline fix

Hello I know this has been discussed in other posts but I would like to add to this discussion that if your recline locks up and does not go up or down, there is hope, which happened with mine. I removed the 14mm bolts that holds the seat to the floor front and back, then the seat back cover which are held together with 2 phillips head screws. they are tucked up under the cover and are verticle. next pull the cover off it removes by lifting up and then down and out. next remove any hog rings or metal clips that hold seat back material you will then be able to see the seat back recline motor located on the back hinge of the seat, far left on the drivers side, far right on the passengers side. Next remove the 2 12mm bolts located on the arms of the seat back,2 on the left side 2 or the right side if you look on the inside of the seat back they screw into a welded nut, disconnect the head rest motor and any other leads to the other motors because you are now going to lift the seat back out of the way. Now look to the left on the drivers side and locate the recline motor 2 screws hold this black motor on release the 2 phillips head screws and gently lift the motor straight up and out of the gear. open the round silver gear box look inside and inspect the plastic gear make sure its in good condition replace the gear if necessary , now test your motor by plugging it back in and hitting the recline switch. if it spins really fast the motor is good, now look straight down and disconnect the assembly rod which connects the left side gear motor to the right side of the seat just pull the hinge to the left or right and it will come out of its spline inspect the splines located inside the tube , the tube has the black plastic cover over a aluminum tube.. now left of were the gear motor goes you will see the metal gears for the seat back move them all the way forward with a screw driver until it stops. go to the right side of the seat and turn the right gear by hand all the way forward also. this lines your seat up so it does not twist when operating. now put your gear motor back on just push in until the worm gear splines seat into the plastic gear. replace the silver gear cover put back all screws . attached the connecting rod. plug your motor in and test with the switch. the arm hinges should now move put your cushion back on connect all your motors back all tie wraps you removed and wires and clips back in place. ( A good word of advice Take a picture of the seat back after you remove the cover so you can see were you everything goes.)put your seat back on Line up your 12mm bolts do not strip these bolts going back in take your time with these. .Replace your cover then your 14mm floor bolts and your done. If you have to replace the motor, passenger side motors and driver side motors are the same just turn them around when installing. buy them used, dealers want $400 dollars for a $40.00 part.
The following users liked this post:
Jedediah (07-31-20)
Old 03-16-18, 09:47 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

what post has this been discussed before? perhaps it should be merged there instead.
this is terribly hard to read...but I admire the contribution.
Old 03-16-18, 04:30 PM
deansst
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
what post has this been discussed before? perhaps it should be merged there instead.
this is terribly hard to read...but I admire the contribution.
Hard to read, Maybe you should go back to school Jerk!
Jedediah (07-31-20)
Old 03-16-18, 08:43 PM
stoney1997
Rookie

Meanwhile, only half of my seat reclines.

FeelsBadMan
Old 03-17-18, 12:43 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Hello I know this has been discussed in other posts but I would like to add to this discussion that if your recline locks up and does not go up or down, there is hope, which happened with mine.

I removed the 14mm bolts that holds the seat to the floor front and back, then the seat back cover which are held together with 2 phillips head screws. They are tucked up under the cover and are vertical.

Next pull the cover off, it removes by lifting up and then down and out.

Next remove any hog rings or metal clips that hold seat back material you will then be able to see the seat back recline motor located on the back hinge of the seat, far left on the drivers side, far right on the passengers side.

Next remove the 2 12mm bolts located on the arms of the seat back,2 on the left side 2 or the right side. If you look on the inside of the seat back they screw into a welded nut.Disconnect the head rest motor and any other leads to the other motors because you are now going to lift the seat back out of the way.

Now look to the left on the drivers side and locate the recline motor, 2 screws hold this black motor on.Release the 2 phillips head screws and gently lift the motor straight up and out of the gear.Open the round silver gear box look inside and inspect the plastic gear make sure its in good condition ,replace the gear if necessary ,

Now test your motor by plugging it back in and hitting the recline switch. If it spins really fast the motor is good.Now look straight down and disconnect the assembly rod which connects the left side gear motor to the right side of the seat.Just pull the hinge to the left or right and it will come out of its spline.Inspect the splines located inside the tube , the tube has the black plastic cover over an aluminum tube.. Now left of where the gear motor goes you will see the metal gears for the seat back.Move them all the way forward with a screw driver until it stops.

Go to the right side of the seat and turn the right gear by hand all the way forward also. This lines your seat up so it does not twist when operating. Now put your gear motor back on, just push in until the worm gear splines seat into the plastic gear. Replace the silver gear cover put back all screws . Attach the connecting rod. Plug your motor in and test with the switch. The arm hinges should now move.

Put your cushion back on, connect all your motors back, all tie wraps you removed, and wires and clips back in place. ( A good word of advice. Take a picture of the seat back after you remove the cover so you can see where everything goes.) Put your seat back on. Line up your 12mm bolts, do not strip these bolts going back in, take your time with these..

Replace your cover then your 14mm floor bolts and your done. If you have to replace the motor, passenger side motors and driver side motors are the same just turn them around when installing. Buy them used, dealers want $400 dollars for a $40.00 part.
=======================
Edited by Spuds for clarity.Youre welcome.Leave the attitude at the door Dean,this is a good post by you and good advice by Timmy to do some editing for clarity/readability.

Last edited by spuds; 03-17-18 at 12:57 AM.
sha4000 (03-17-18)