LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Low idle 99 LS, but no CEL

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 02:56 PM
lexus_ls
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low idle 99 LS, but no CEL

I have a 99 LS400, with 140k on the clock, lately it has been having a low idle and then back to normal idle. Engine runs fine, when low idle engine does not shake, very smooth, no CEL or anything. Only noticeable when in drive and at a stop. Throttle body has been cleaned and made no difference. All maintenance is up to date. I checked my ECU last year with everyone’s post about the caps going bad and mine looked fine. Does anyone know Whats wrong?
Attached Thumbnails Low idle 99 LS, but no CEL-ls.jpg   Low idle 99 LS, but no CEL-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 11-13-17, 01:29 PM
lexus_ls
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexus_ls
I have a 99 LS400, with 140k on the clock, lately it has been having a low idle and then back to normal idle. Engine runs fine, when low idle engine does not shake, very smooth, no CEL or anything. Only noticeable when in drive and at a stop. Throttle body has been cleaned and made no difference. All maintenance is up to date. I checked my ECU last year with everyone’s post about the caps going bad and mine looked fine. Does anyone know Whats wrong?

Anybody got ideas?
Old 11-13-17, 01:43 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Anybody got ideas?
Coolant sensor original? Thermostat original? Spark plugs original? PCV valve, PCV valve grommet and PCV valve hoses(right and left bank) origina?l Condition of Negative grounds? Checked RPM with meter vs instrument cluster? Original.Oxygen sensors (pre-catalytic)?
Old 11-13-17, 02:59 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Anybody got ideas?
IF you have a low idle during first start/warm-up, you will want to look at the water temperature switch as noted by YODAONE.

The operating idle speed is maintained by a stepper motor in the ISC valve. It needs to be clean and not stuck.

The operating idle speed can be messed up by some intermittent problems in other actors, like the EGR valve, and, if you have an intermittent fast idle at operating temp, the power steering idle up valve. The air-conditioner circuit also kicks up the idle. Does your engine speed up when you engage the compressor?
Colin
Old 11-13-17, 03:22 PM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I had low idle, to almost stalling at times and it turned out to be my AFM. It would only occur when the car had warmed up tho.
Does this model have a power steering idle valve?

Last edited by Moarpower; 11-13-17 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-13-17, 04:12 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Moarpower
I had low idle, to almost stalling at times and it turned out to be my AFM. It would only occur when the car had warmed up tho.
Well, I am an idiot re: anything newer than 1994, so . . .
Colin
Old 11-13-17, 09:16 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

CRC offers Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner.

Cannot use on 1990-1994 LS400's MAF sensor you will destroy a $900 part...

Not sure about 1995-1997 LS400's, but you can definitely use to clean 1998-2000 LS400 MAF sensors.

It make a slight difference.in idle quality...especially if you use K & N reusable oil.impregnated air filters....sometimes excess filter oil collects on MAF sensors.
Old 12-04-17, 02:53 PM
lexus_ls
Rookie

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
IF you have a low idle during first start/warm-up, you will want to look at the water temperature switch as noted by YODAONE.

The operating idle speed is maintained by a stepper motor in the ISC valve. It needs to be clean and not stuck.

The operating idle speed can be messed up by some intermittent problems in other actors, like the EGR valve, and, if you have an intermittent fast idle at operating temp, the power steering idle up valve. The air-conditioner circuit also kicks up the idle. Does your engine speed up when you engage the compressor?
Colin
It only does it if I have been driving in stop and go traffic or at stop light. I replaced the idle air control motor and about to replace the throttle position sensor. Not sure what else I need to replace. Car has 144k miles all tuned up, new sparks, temp sensor and coolant temp, new power steering pump with that idle up valve. I cleaned the throttle body completly as well. When I have the A/c on it jumps very slightly back to normal.
Old 12-04-17, 02:54 PM
lexus_ls
Rookie

Yes, it does and I replaced mine and with new hoses. Still did not do anything for the low idle.
Old 12-05-17, 06:13 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Had the same problem as yours and solved it by cleaning he throttle body as I see you've already done. Then I'm out of ideas.
Old 12-05-17, 08:44 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Yes, it does and I replaced mine and with new hoses. Still did not do anything for the low idle.
Have someone with a professional scan tool.assess readings.

Meanwhile, inspect and test all grounds, battery terminals, battery cables, Alternator and battery.

Check out forum postings on those topics.
Old 12-07-17, 12:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

What gear is the car in when you took the picture?

The factory idle specs are for a car at operating temperature, AC off, in Park or Neutral. There is NO SPEC for idle with the car in-gear.
Old 12-15-17, 10:09 AM
lexus_ls
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
What gear is the car in when you took the picture?

The factory idle specs are for a car at operating temperature, AC off, in Park or Neutral. There is NO SPEC for idle with the car in-gear.
It was in drive.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-17, 10:33 AM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

clean air-mix path
Old 12-17-17, 05:24 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Most likely the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is going out or being set to low. If you have a scanner then take a look at the TPS parameter. At idle, in park & AC off, it s/b set around 12.5% & the RPM s/b at around 650. You can play w/ the TPS by losing up the 2 screws then slightly turn it left or right. If yours is running fine & doesn't bog down when it's sitting at 400 RPM, I wouldn't mess w/ it unless you know what you're doing.

Quick Reply: Low idle 99 LS, but no CEL