LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

how to install new headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 08:50 PM
CClexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face how to install new headlights

Hey! I've purchased some HID's for my Lexus LS400 '92 but i have no idea how to install the lights in... i was reading on how to clean the lexus ls400 lights. Do i have to put my head lights in the oven or can i just unplug something? Thanks
Old 06-04-03, 09:50 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Headlights are super easy, just unplug the old ones and put in the new ones. Your owner's manual will tell you how to do this. Putting the headlight assembly in the oven softens the bond and allows you to open up the headlight. You don't need to do that to change a bulb.
Old 06-05-03, 04:12 AM
dbullen
Pole Position

If it's a 90-94 LS400 you need to take the battery out to get at the drivers side head light and the air duct needs to be removed on the passengers side.
Old 06-05-03, 10:48 AM
CClexus
Driver School Candidate

is it possible to change the HIDs without removing those things? is there enough room... cuz i'm afraid that i will mess something up.. hehe... and taking out the battery will mess up the nakamichi sound system? the securtiy settings will kick in right?
Old 06-05-03, 01:24 PM
dbullen
Pole Position

You need to take those things out to get at the lights. I recently changed both of mine without any problems on my 92 LS400. It will not mess up any security settings when you disconnect the battery.
Old 06-05-03, 05:46 PM
CClexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks ^_^ it looks like it's hell to take out the front part.... but i guess i can handle it
Old 06-06-03, 12:10 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, just follow what the manual says to do and you'll be fine. Your 92 is very similar to my 91, I'm sure it has headlight replacement instructions in there. If you have to take the battery out along with the air intakes who cares, that's super easy....the dealer who charge you and arm and a leg to do this simple repair. Anyway, I stand by my words before, check your manual for instructions.
Old 06-06-03, 03:10 AM
95SC4
Rookie

so you bought HID headlights? or imitation HID bulbs??

an HID system usually comes with ballasts, bulbs, and starter- did you purchase this? if so please let us know what type and maybe pictures of the wiring diagram to help you out

if its just a headlight bulb, there should be a harness on the back of the headlight assembly, disconnect the harness (push on the ribbed area of the harness and pull it off), twist the bulb out of the locked position, and pull the bulb out and replace it with the new one, lock it and connect the harness back on
Old 06-06-03, 12:27 PM
CClexus
Driver School Candidate

It's just some bulbs i got off a friend of mine. I check they are 9004 45/65 watts so i think all ineed to do is unplug the old ones and put da semi-new ones in.
Old 06-06-03, 01:45 PM
95SC4
Rookie

Originally posted by CClexus
It's just some bulbs i got off a friend of mine. I check they are 9004 45/65 watts so i think all ineed to do is unplug the old ones and put da semi-new ones in.
ahhh good deal make sure they're cleaned first!!! I had one headlight explode inside my housing
Old 06-06-03, 02:04 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cleaned as in taking a clean towel, soaking it with Vodka or rubing alcohol (Vodka is better, it has no oils) and cleaning your bulbs with it. Make sure you don't touch the glass after cleaning.
Old 06-06-03, 08:46 PM
CClexus
Driver School Candidate

aight, i'll do that... do i need those microfiber cloths? i'll use da vodka I gots lots of vodka and i like u're site a lot retrodrive ^_^ the cleaning part helped a lot

Last edited by CClexus; 06-06-03 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-06-03, 08:56 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no, just regular clean towel...or your t-shirt.

Btw, thx, I'll have to expand on polishing the pastic corners on the headlights, otherwise it is a good writeup to follow
Old 06-06-03, 11:36 PM
CClexus
Driver School Candidate

okay... >_< i TRIED taking out the parking lights but they won't even budge... i took out that puny screw holding it and i was trying to take it out for 30 minutes... i even tried taking out the airfilter on top but i found out that it doesn't work... ummm... is there a lock or something i'm missing from the parking lights? cuz that thing went out about 1 mm and wouldn't budge
Old 06-06-03, 11:56 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Taking out the parking lights is tough if it's the 1st time. You have to use quite a bit of force to get them out and will most likely break the little plastic clip that is holding it so tightly in place if you're not careful. My suggestion is to grab it at the front of the light and take quick firm tugs at it till it pops off.

Quick Reply: how to install new headlights