LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bought a slightly crashed LS400 to resell - fell in love

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 04:13 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the strut in the front of the engine bay that holds the lights and radiator called? I need a new one.

Has anyone had luck taking a bad radiator to be repaired? I'm on a budget. However I can work on the car myself but I still need these parts as cheap (but not if they suck) as possible.

My wife's car broke down. Now we have two cars not running. I need advice on any of the few questions I posted. Thanks guys.
Old 05-12-17, 05:57 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rokas
What is the strut in the front of the engine bay that holds the lights and radiator called? I need a new one.
I know I'm a newbie but I'm trying to learn. I hope this forums doesn't look down on that...

I looked around. Is the metal part called the Radiator Assembly Bracket?

If so, I can't even find one for sale anywhere except Autozone/Discount Auto Parts, and it's EXPENSIVE for a small piece of metal.

What are my options? Can I take only that part to a body shop to see if they can bang it out instead?

Or can I use something aftermarket? The link below says this one fits my car but I'm not so sure the holes will be right. The amount of bolts seems right.

Please guys - if you have even the smallest suggestion for any of these problems, tell me. Me and my wife are supposed to move within a month and her car just broke down. We need this to run as soon as possible with what we have. We're in a very bad situation.

Last edited by Rokas; 05-12-17 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-12-17, 06:44 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Should I say junk yard again or....
Old 05-12-17, 11:32 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

i wouldn't start the car for a second, as the car can overheat from a damaged radiator
Old 05-13-17, 03:09 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Should I say junk yard again or....
Banshee, the junk yard is #1 for me always. However, I cant find even ONE junkyard in Orlando that has an LS400. I should have mentioned that.

Anyway, my friend came yesterday. I dont know why the coolant leaked out immediately after the crash, but I only had to top it off with about 1.5L of water and its not leaking. We did a stress test... car wasn't overheating at all. I mean the radiator hose coming from the engine barely got warm.

Thanks to my mechanic friend, the only problem left is the PS pump. The smoke is the PS fluid that's everywhere (except the alternator... lol).
Old 05-13-17, 06:30 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Banshee, the junk yard is #1 for me always. However, I cant find even ONE junkyard in Orlando that has an LS400. I should have mentioned that.

Anyway, my friend came yesterday. I dont know why the coolant leaked out immediately after the crash, but I only had to top it off with about 1.5L of water and its not leaking. We did a stress test... car wasn't overheating at all. I mean the radiator hose coming from the engine barely got warm.

Thanks to my mechanic friend, the only problem left is the PS pump. The smoke is the PS fluid that's everywhere (except the alternator... lol).
You're in my neck of woods here. You need to take a little ride up to the Daytona LKQ. There are two UCF20 LS400's in the yard. One from March and one as recent as May 5th. The one from May is also a color appearing to match black. You're photos are so bad that I can't quite tell what color your car is. Is it straight black or does it have some pearl or metallic to it?
Old 05-13-17, 06:33 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Originally Posted by lextout
i wouldn't start the car for a second, as the car can overheat from a damaged radiator
FWIW that's incorrect. No engine will overheat in a second. Even with zero coolant in the motor the engine will run just fine for a minute or two. That's plenty of time to check the running condition of the engine even if it has no coolant in it.
Old 05-15-17, 06:42 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Banshee365
You're in my neck of woods here. You need to take a little ride up to the Daytona LKQ. There are two UCF20 LS400's in the yard. One from March and one as recent as May 5th. The one from May is also a color appearing to match black. You're photos are so bad that I can't quite tell what color your car is. Is it straight black or does it have some pearl or metallic to it?
Sorry about the pics. Using an old android phone. But it is indeed black.

Is this power steering pump ok? http://m.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/power-steering-pump/atlantic-automotive-power-steering-pump/414008_837521_2558?location=
Old 05-15-17, 07:18 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I wouldn't buy anything from autozone... look to rock auto or some other place.
Old 05-21-17, 06:46 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

I got some updates if anyone cares at this point.

First of all, I figured it out the proper way. A mechanic diagnosed a radiator leak I hadn't noticed before. For free too - they were gonna run a compression test but policy says they couldn't because my radiator is obviously out of place so liabity issues, etc. But the mechanic pointed it out anyway.

So, monday these items should be in the mail:
-Radiator
-Radiator Support
-Power Steering Pump

Doing the radiator myself and I got a good deal from a shop to put the pump in. Gonna see if I can get the Engine Coolant Sensor in there too and I should have a nice LS400 for a total of about $800. That doesn't include bodywork (minor - new hood for $200 or so).

I don't HAVE to replace the condenser, do I? I'm on a budget so if it's just for AC, I think I will say forget it for now.

Thanks for any help...
Old 05-21-17, 12:25 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Has anyone had luck taking a bad radiator to be repaired? I'm on a budget. However I can work on the car myself but I still need these parts as cheap (but not if they suck) as possible.

My wife's car broke down. Now we have two cars not running. I need advice on any of the few questions I posted. Thanks guys.
That part is part of the unibody, and is welded in, doesn't bolt in. Try to straighten it in place first.
Old 05-22-17, 01:02 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

It's called the Radiator Core Support.