LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission O/D issues with O/D light FLICKERING and blinking

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-17, 06:30 AM
GB90LS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission O/D issues with O/D light FLICKERING and blinking

Hi guys, I am new here. Obviously my lexus is having transmission issues. I will try to explain what is happening so hopefully at least one of you can pin point something out. There are few different issues but all are related.

When the overdrive light blinks steady like flashes every seconds rhythmically, the transmission will select gears very early even the OD gear so early making the car sluggish to get to speed. When I am doing speeds like 60kmh or 80kmh whatever, while the O/D is blinking, I push OD button to turn OD off, the OD light stops blinking and stays on (indicating that OD is selected off BUT the trans refuses to leave OD gear. Even when I push the gas pedal harder like trying to overtake, it won't downshift to third but will downshift to second when I floor it. On the very same day but separate time, no blinking at all and OD will engage or disengage at the button like it should. And transmission will shift gears at good timing, not so early like it does when blinking. Again on very same day but separate time, I noticed the OD light flickering when driving on open road.. Flickering as like loose wiring connection, very quick flashing but not rhythmically.. While it does that. The OD will still engage or disengage at button or under heavy acceleration as it should....

so guys what do you think? I am not sure but I think loose or dirty connection on trans somewhere? OD sensor or something? OD does work.. Or maybe soilend for third is the problem? But strangely it does third gear when doesn't blink. But OD won't disengage when blinking. Just stays in fourth and downshift to second when flooring it. No third. Hope I make sense. Can you tell me where the sensors is and connections so I can check them.

Thanks
​​
Old 05-06-17, 07:28 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Year.....

Make......

Model......
Old 05-06-17, 12:47 PM
GB90LS400
Driver School Candidate

Sorry. It is a 1990 LS400 with the 1UZ-FE V8 engine.
Old 05-08-17, 05:51 AM
GB90LS400
Driver School Candidate

Anyone can advise?
Old 05-08-17, 02:56 PM
VolumeToo
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What is the state of your transmission fluid? Maybe put up a picture so we can see? Sounds like a sticking valve or something, so maybe a fluid flush would fix it - with genuine T-IV for peace of mind. Don't be tempted to use additives at this point!
What is the mileage on your car? Pretty high I would guess, and in that climate as well...
Old 05-08-17, 04:02 PM
GB90LS400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply. The climate here isn't hot atm, ranging from 17 to 23 degrees when this happened. The car only done 140000kms. Lastnight when first started the drive, first 5 minutes the tranny does the job as it should then bit later it started the problems again. Seems like it starts when warmed up? Sensor is old and sensitive to heat from the motor? Or fluid is old gets too hot? I realized- when it plays up, it would shift from first straight to third then fourth. I I could feel it shift to second very quick. The selector is changed, 1 means first gear, second means third gear and drive means fourth gear. Sounds like electric related issues. When the tranny cold in morning, it shifts beautifully in all gears.
Old 05-09-17, 06:05 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

shift solenoid and or speed sensor
Old 05-10-17, 07:18 AM
Mocean
Driver School Candidate

Default Installed transnission now the igntion wont turn..

Please excuse me for piggybacking on your post but I'm a total newb to forums.. I have a 96 LS 400. I replaced the transmission and now the ignition will not turn. I've got the whole dash board removed and am about to custom convert the ignition to a toggle switch out of frustation. Is there anything that may be transmission related? Also the car sat for a month with no battery and i removed the ignition cylinder when i parked it a month ago. Any help would be appreciated. I would rather have had the dealership deal with it but financially that isnt possible and to keep any kind of financial anything i need to get this car back to work.. Im at my wits end...