LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Question about bad fan clutch bracket

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 10:06 PM
SGHarlem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about bad fan clutch bracket

So I know the bracket is bad itself, but I was wondering to replace it do I need to remove the serpentine belt or anything. This is my first Lexus so I just figured id ask before I screw it up
Old 05-01-17, 10:40 PM
Elless400
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What year?

This is a glorious link to click/tap if you have a 95-97 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-belt-diy.html

I think it's almost, if not, identical a procedure on a 90-94, too, but I'm not sure.

​​​Excellent info with torque specs in this DiY. Well written.

If you hit any snags, I just did this job, replacing other items while I was in there, so if you have questions, I may have answers.

Last edited by Elless400; 05-01-17 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-01-17, 10:53 PM
SGHarlem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elless400
This is a glorious link to click/tap if you have a 95-97 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-belt-diy.html

I think it's almost, if not, identical a procedure on a 90-94, too, but I'm not sure.

​​​Excellent info with torque specs in this DiY. Well written.

If you hit any snags, I just did this job, replacing other items while I was in there, so if you have questions, I may have answers.
I have a 1992. I'm just trying to do the bracket, not the whole timing though. Any tips?
Old 05-01-17, 11:56 PM
Elless400
Driver

Originally Posted by SGHarlem
I have a 1992. I'm just trying to do the bracket, not the whole timing though. Any tips?
Yes. Go here for another reference. Focus on the fan bracket and the timing covers, don't bother with any of the actual timing belt related stuff. The lower left timing belt cover comes off, but the lower right only needs to be loosened.

Also, the two front engine-facing ac compressor bolts need to be removed/loosened as they tread into the fan bracket. That part is reportedly a pain but I found it to be much easier than I was lead to believe. To be fair, I have a decent tool collection.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

Watch this video repeatedly if necessary to get feel of the layout around the fan bracket. Then go back to the other link and focus on the fan bracket stuff only.

Last edited by Elless400; 05-02-17 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-01-17, 11:56 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html
That is a good tutorial for the 90-94 T-belt. Just follow that until you get to the fan bracket.
Old 05-02-17, 12:06 AM
Elless400
Driver

The problem with following the DiYs strictly, word for word, is that you'll do unnecessary work.

For example, the rotors, caps, housing..none of that needs to be touched. Nor does the alternator.

So, while these write-ups are incredibly helpful, use your own judgement as well, and skip what you can.
Old 05-02-17, 09:23 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

The problem with following the DiYs strictly, word for word, is that you'll do unnecessary work.

For example, the rotors, caps, housing..none of that needs to be touched. Nor does the alternator.

So, while these write-ups are incredibly helpful, use your own judgement as well, and skip what you can.
Yes, good advice. If you can find steps to skip, hold off on doing them until you're sure you have to do it.

Unfortunately, having done this myself (replacing fan bracket but not T-belt or anything else) during an unplanned emergency repair, I'll say that there are not many steps that can be skipped in this case. If it looks like you can definitely skip it, you probably can. If it looks like you might be able to skip it, you almost certainly cannot. That fan bracket is buried deep.

Also, I did mine on short notice and had to go and get the part from a local store, O'Reilly's. It was a Dorman part, and it was not an exact match, so I had cut off some of the casting to make it fit. So match up old with new before trying to get the new one to fit, otherwise you might be like I was and end up having to take it off to see why it's not fitting on there.

Of course, if you've got the time and budget to plan, this would be a good time to replace many of the other components you'll be exposing. But if you are new to this sort of stuff, it may not be a good idea to do the full timing belt replacement right now.
Old 05-02-17, 03:38 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Yes, good advice. If you can find steps to skip, hold off on doing them until you're sure you have to do it.

Unfortunately, having done this myself (replacing fan bracket but not T-belt or anything else) during an unplanned emergency repair, I'll say that there are not many steps that can be skipped in this case. If it looks like you can definitely skip it, you probably can. If it looks like you might be able to skip it, you almost certainly cannot. That fan bracket is buried deep.

Also, I did mine on short notice and had to go and get the part from a local store, O'Reilly's. It was a Dorman part, and it was not an exact match, so I had cut off some of the casting to make it fit. So match up old with new before trying to get the new one to fit, otherwise you might be like I was and end up having to take it off to see why it's not fitting on there.

Of course, if you've got the time and budget to plan, this would be a good time to replace many of the other components you'll be exposing. But if you are new to this sort of stuff, it may not be a good idea to do the full timing belt replacement right now.
Makes you wonder what else about the part is not right....such as bearings...

When you arrive at your destination, replace with an OEM Aisin brand fan bracket bearing...obtain from Toyota/Lexus or Rock Auto.

There is no excuse for a new part that does not fit...remove it and return it to O'Reillys....
Old 05-03-17, 08:46 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Makes you wonder what else about the part is not right....such as bearings...

When you arrive at your destination, replace with an OEM Aisin brand fan bracket bearing...obtain from Toyota/Lexus or Rock Auto.

There is no excuse for a new part that does not fit...remove it and return it to O'Reillys....
I agree regarding the "what else could be wrong." The bearing felt good. The price I paid was not especially low, so I don't think Dorman was trying to make an ultra cheap product. And other than the bearing, and having it fit, there really is not much to the fan bracket. But really, it was kind of amazing that all they had to do was copy the casting and they tried and failed at that.

The good guys at O'Reilly's were sympathetic and offered to take it back. But I kept it since I needed to leave on a trip, and I think they gave me some sort of discount or something.

At this point, it has been 6 years and 20k miles without any problems, and it is not coming off until it fails. If I'm in there doing a T-belt one day, I'll probably give it a thorough inspection.
Old 05-03-17, 09:54 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I agree regarding the "what else could be wrong." The bearing felt good. The price I paid was not especially low, so I don't think Dorman was trying to make an ultra cheap product. And other than the bearing, and having it fit, there really is not much to the fan bracket. But really, it was kind of amazing that all they had to do was copy the casting and they tried and failed at that.

The good guys at O'Reilly's were sympathetic and offered to take it back. But I kept it since I needed to leave on a trip, and I think they gave me some sort of discount or something.

At this point, it has been 6 years and 20k miles without any problems, and it is not coming off until it fails. If I'm in there doing a T-belt one day, I'll probably give it a thorough inspection.
Did you say Dorman?

That's really all you need to know. hehehehe
Old 05-04-17, 01:00 AM
Elless400
Driver

For everyone's reference, the Aisin FBT-001 for $116 on Amazon is the exact same thing that I pulled off my engine. They were a perfect, identical match, so no need to skimp on brand. The Aisin (OEM) is almost free on Amazon.
Old 05-04-17, 11:44 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

For everyone's reference, the Aisin FBT-001 for $116 on Amazon is the exact same thing that I pulled off my engine. They were a perfect, identical match, so no need to skimp on brand. The Aisin (OEM) is almost free on Amazon.
And that's less than I paid for my mis-fitting Dorman. So it pays to plan ahead and get things done when you can.