LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tire Installation: Lexus Dealer vs. Big Box Retailers

Old 04-19-17, 10:15 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Tire Installation: Lexus Dealer vs. Big Box Retailers

Shopping for Michelin Premier A/S tires...

While visiting McGrath Lexus parts department in Chicago observed a tire promotion...:"Buy 4 tires save $100*"

I requested a quotation for 4 and 5 tires.

Pricing, including tax (and disposal charge)was about $20-$25 more than big box...so I inquired of my parts guy and he identified (without me even telling him who the competition) several retailers whose tire installations resulted in customets bringing their cars to the dealer to correct the handiwork...

Improper such as not prepping the Aluminum rim where it interfaces with the lip of the tire (leaks and blowouts), not replacing 20 year old valve stems (leaks), improper balancing or incorrect non-OEM wheel weights, failure to use a torque wrench ... (warped brake rotors and or hubs) and placing unidirectional tires on the wrong side of the vehicle to name a few more memorable.

This posting is not as much about price of tires or which type or brand to purchase (however it is a primary factor for some) but it is about experience of personnel, equipment and installation technique....which are major considerations for achieving professional, trouble-free results.

Lexus offers factory trained personnel (not minimum wage employees here odd days who alternate as store greeter even days of the week), State of the art mounting and balancing equipment a 2 year warranty and under certain circumstances a loaner vehicle.

I observe quantities of good looking women take their car to Lexus for repar so the waiting room visuals are another value proposition.

Seemed like the way to go.

Posted a few pictures of work in process.(only tire work..)

The Michilin tires are quiet and offer a fantastic ride. Tire mounting equipment with correct centering inserts and fixturing to prevent scratching and gouging of Aluminum Lexus rims.
Professional balancing equipment...The black drum shaped device on the right will detect tire out of roundness...
Balancing machine operator is guided where to place wheel weights by laser light.
Balancing in process

First a torque stick to prevent overtorquing...
Finally dealer torques all lug nuts with professional grade torque wrench.

Last edited by YODAONE; 04-19-17 at 10:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
UNCNOR (04-20-17)
Old 04-19-17, 10:36 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Hah! You don't see torque wrenches on lugs in any shop anymore.

For anyone else looking for tires this month, check out your local VW dealer. Buy 3 get 1 for $1 until the end of the month.
The following users liked this post:
USDM (04-20-17)
Old 04-19-17, 10:48 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

I purchase all my tires through Discount Tire. I'm usually in and out in about 45 min to an hour. Having worked there as a tire tech for 6 years, they really train the employees well and will warranty any work they do. Also, they'll do free rotations and flat repairs, you don't even need to buy the tires from them.

All the things you mentioned, they have. Balancers, machines, and torque wrenches. Plus, they'll beat any competitor, just tell them such and such has this price which is all you need to do.
Old 04-20-17, 12:12 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Tire Rack offers free loaner vehicles? Car washed and vacuumed? OEM wheel weights used? (Lexus rims use specific weights) Fluids checked?

Early in life worked at a service station changing tires for several years..

Not disputing there are good indy shops out there...but it has been my past experience of having to watch them...

What I mean by that is I now avoid them and do the work myself or support the deale service department on occasion..

Lexus dealer100% of time on parts.

I did more tires than I can count so that is one thing I choose not to do myself, so for me hanging out in a tire shop is ...well, depressing.
Old 04-20-17, 02:31 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice to see. My LS has been serviced at McGrath Lexus for most of it's life. Good to know they have a reputation for quality work.
Old 04-21-17, 06:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,800 Posts

For $20-25 I would use the dealer just for the loaner car.

However, I would not assume the dealer is going to do any better of a job than any other medium quality shop, and I would expect them to use less care than a high end independent shop. This is based on my experience having Lexus cars serviced at dealers and independent shops over the past 20 years. Lexus service is nothing special, and it is very expensive. For instance I have had cars damaged at Lexus dealers numerous times, never at an independent shop. Lexus dealers always beat the hell out of my rims just rotating tires, the shop I have tires installed at from TireRack has never left a mark on a wheel, not a smudge. They have a road force balancer also, almost all shops do today (that's what that balancer in your picture is).

Lexus does not use special wheel weights lol. All the wheel weights I've ever had installed at Lexus or other shops are exactly the same.

What makes the dealer nice is the perks such as loaners, etc. I have not had the experience that their quality of work is anything better than ordinary.
Old 04-21-17, 09:42 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I've had bad experiences at my dealer too, mainly sloppy work, but in my opinion theres way more accountability at the dealership than there is at a Big Box retailer. When Dunn tire gouged the hell out of my wheel with an impact gun, I had to spend an hour there proving the did it. I hadn't even left their parking lot after they parked it for me and there was a greasy fingerprint running down the scratch as if they were seeing if they could remove it. When my dealer did the same on another car, they refinished the wheel no questions asked and let me keep the loaner for an additional day.

For easier stuff like brakes, I do them myself, but for tires, oil changes, and other certain things, I find that my dealer not only charges pretty much the same as most independents, they wash my car and give me a brand new Lexus to use for the same price. One time I had an RC350 for 4 days when they replaced the starter in my GS (cost only $120 more than an indie) and a GS350 for 3 days when they had to wait for a part for my 12 year old ES330. There are some things that they overcharge for, but the "stealership" mentality runs a bit stronger than it should in my opinion.
Old 04-21-17, 10:36 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
...I observe quantities of good looking women take their car to Lexus for repar so the waiting room visuals are another value proposition....
LOL
And the free quality coffee is probably good too.

Thanks for the laugh and the photos of the procedure.

Lots of good comments in this thread. Sounds like most here have found their optimum choice.

Here's mine:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/nielsen-automotive-san-carlos
Neilsen Automotive in San Carlos, CA. The mounting and balancing is always done by Chris. Always with an appointment, which they always keep. Never any surprises. Good honest work, good price.

That is a good way to ensure consistency - the same exact guy does it every time. If there were ever a problem, I'd know exactly whom to ask. And he's a talented, conscientious, honest guy, so I doubt there will ever be problems.

I've been going to this place for about 15 years, and I bet it looks exactly the same as it did 50 years ago. It's basically a gas station with a few repairs and tire sales. The sort of business that is sadly fading away with the changing economy.

Last edited by oldskewel; 04-21-17 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-21-17, 11:33 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS

However, I would not assume the dealer is going to do any better of a job than any other medium quality shop, and I would expect them to use less care than a high end independent shop. This is based on my experience having Lexus cars serviced at dealers and independent shops over the past 20 years. Lexus service is nothing special, and it is very expensive. For instance I have had cars damaged at Lexus dealers numerous times, never at an independent shop. Lexus dealers always beat the hell out of my rims just rotating tires, the shop I have tires installed at from TireRack has never left a mark on a wheel, not a smudge. They have a road force balancer also, almost all shops do today (that's what that balancer in your picture is).

Lexus does not use special wheel weights lol. All the wheel weights I've ever had installed at Lexus or other shops are exactly the same.

What makes the dealer nice is the perks such as loaners, etc. I have not had the experience that their quality of work is anything better than ordinary.
Lexus offers special wheel weights for OEM rims... Lexus balance weight P.N. list for Aluminum AND Chrome wheels...

It is highly unlikely big box or indy goes to the time and expense to stock or ordee any of these Lexus specific items... In and out....Indy is not going to tie up their bay to perfect their work.

Old 04-21-17, 12:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have driven Lexus vehicles for 20 years, I have never noticed anything different about Lexus wheel weights lol. Wheel weights are wheel weights.

Like I said, I have found dealers very sloppy. In and out there too. My independent does better work, as have other shops I've used. Car wash? My dealer can't wash my car without scratching the hell out of it. Only benefit is the loaner.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-21-17 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 04:53 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Lexus offers special wheel weights for OEM rims... Lexus balance weight P.N. list for Aluminum AND Chrome wheels...

It is highly unlikely big box or indy goes to the time and expense to stock or ordee any of these Lexus specific items... In and out....Indy is not going to tie up their bay to perfect their work.

I'd rather not have wheel weights hammered on my chrome wheels. With the chrome being as old as it is, it'll likely chip causing peeling, corrosion and eventually a pressure leak.

Even though there is barely clearance for one set of tape weights on the inner plane of the wheel near the brake calipers, I would go that route. The surface just needs to be prepped and cleaned well enough for them to stick well and there's usually no issues with weights being thrown.
Old 04-21-17, 05:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I too would prefer stick on weights even on the older wheels. The wheels on my LS400 were beat up from removing and installing weights after a few years (yes, by the Lexus dealer)

That's a good point, none of the Lexus vehicles made after 2001 or so use clip on weights, so any "Lexus specific weights" are a non issue for those owners.
Old 04-21-17, 06:43 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

I too would prefer stick on weights even on the older wheels. The wheels on my LS400 were beat up from removing and installing weights after a few years (yes, by the Lexus dealer)

That's a good point, none of the Lexus vehicles made after 2001 or so use clip on weights, so any "Lexus specific weights" are a non issue for those owners.
I do understand where he's coming from though. I bought some super low mileage (5k or less) 06' Camry SE wheels and tires for my parent's 03' sienna to spiff up the looks and they had the original set of tires and weights on there, and I could tell the adhesive that the Toyota tape weights use is much stickier than you find at Discount Tire since they use an aftermarket weight. So they'll probably have a better chance of sticking if its colder out. I used to have to use a hair dryer or heat up the weights with my breath before sticking them when it was cold out to activate the glue in the tape weights to allow for better adhering to the wheel.

But yeah, if the wheel is a painted silver wheel or chrome like all LS400s are, by the 3rd or 4th rotation, it'll start flaking and look unsightly with all the marks around the outer lip.
Old 04-21-17, 07:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've never had a car loose a wheel weight, so I guess the ones that have been used are sticky enough.
Old 04-24-17, 01:06 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

A few comments on Lexus' value proposition;

"To reply to one guys comment, Discount Tire does NOT do Alignments. SO he has to ether go somewhere else or not get an alignment on his Lexus. With the program that my company has in place ( with way more than just Lexus of Chicago) Discount Tire will not beat us more than $100, if its less we will not match but meet them halfway. We check our competitors once a month. I have attached this months competitors shop. Hope this helps!"

Last edited by YODAONE; 04-24-17 at 01:11 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Installation: Lexus Dealer vs. Big Box Retailers