LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'00 LS Center Console Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-17, 08:24 PM
tbasmwmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 LS Center Console Removal

Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you for everything, Club Lexus is a great resource for help on all things Lexus. I've lurked her plenty and found many useful tips.
However, I've got one here that I can't find an answer to. How do I remove the center console surround? I'm trying to track down the source of some noise coming from here and I think I might have a marble or small bearing in the center console duct, it rolls and taps the sides when I drive the car and the sound of it is making me nuts. I decided to just go ahead and start taking it apart until I find the damn thing and get rid of it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how this console surround pulls out. I've taken out all the visible screws and disconnected any plugs that were mounted to it, but it just comes out maybe a quarter of an inch and just won't go any further. Help!

It's the light tan leather thing that is holding all the stuff in place here.

Thanks!

Old 04-12-17, 08:39 PM
bornking
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

From what I have been told the interior is held in by clips mostly.
Old 04-12-17, 11:08 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Banshee maybe know the ins and outs for this.
Old 04-12-17, 11:41 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

You've pretty well got everything out required for center console removal. You may have to unclip the female connectors at the rear for the phone and such. I can't recall if they're clipped to the center console but I think they are. The rear of the console comes up a little then it slides rearward. The console is tan, the darker part stays with the dash. There are tabs on the front of the console that interface with slots on the dash. It really comes out rather easy.

To remove the air ducts there are just a few phillips head screws. It will come apart in two pieces. You may need to run the shifter rearward a little for clearance. You can depress the button under that little plate at the top left of the shifter to keep from having to turn the ignition on. Be careful removing the cover plate because they like to go flying once they let go. There will also be velcro stapled to the carpet that attaches to velcro on the air ducts so be sure to line all that up as best you can exam when reassembling.
Old 04-13-17, 07:19 AM
tbasmwmc
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like I'm not pulling hard enough then. I'll give it a shot later today and report!
Old 04-13-17, 07:25 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

It shouldn't take much force. There are no clips holding it. Try pulling it rearward and check those connectors at the back.
Old 04-13-17, 09:34 AM
tbasmwmc
Driver School Candidate

Oh boy.

So I pulled a bit harder but there is a hard stop in there that prevents me from pulling it out. I dug around inside and found that the console surround is held in place in the front by (at least on the left side) a tab facing the front of the car that engages a slot in the console surround - I highlighted the tab in red and the slot in blue here. On the glove box side I can't see anything as it is. I can't push the console surround forward and push the slots in so they miss the tabs when I pull back because the tabs on the console surround for the retaining screws prevent further forward movement.

Am I missing something or do I have to start removing parts of the lower dash?
Thanks again!
Old 04-13-17, 11:59 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Is that photo up by the dash?
Old 04-13-17, 01:52 PM
tbasmwmc
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it was up by the dash. There were tabs on both sides that were engaging slots in the console surround, I had to remove the lower dash panel on the left side and the lower glove box on the right. Maybe 'remove'
is the wrong word since I left all the wiring connected...just took the screws and bolts out and pulled them aside. I was able to disassemble the entire console at that point.

I never found what was making the noise. However, I put it all together and it isn't doing it any more, so all's well that ends well.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 04-13-17, 02:04 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by tbasmwmc

I never found what was making the noise. However, I put it all together and it isn't doing it any more, so all's well that ends well.

Thanks for all your help!
Maybe it was a dog treat and HE found it. Glad ya got it done cuz those little noises can get annoying sometimes.
Old 04-13-17, 02:48 PM
tbasmwmc
Driver School Candidate

LOL maybe!
Old 04-13-17, 03:33 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
Maybe it was a dog treat and HE found it. Glad ya got it done cuz those little noises can get annoying sometimes.
Lets hope, for your sake, that he didn't eat the marble
Old 04-13-17, 03:50 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Ugh I didn't notice that you hadn't removed the knee under cover and the glovebox. That will definitely hold the front from sliding out of the slots. Sorry about that, I should have noticed that right away.
Old 04-13-17, 06:27 PM
tbasmwmc
Driver School Candidate

No worries, Banshee, your advice got me looking in the right place anyway.

I just went for another drive and the rolling/tapping is back. Since I've eliminated the console as a possible source, I'm thinking it's a ball bearing or marble or something got up in the transmission tunnel...?
Old 04-13-17, 07:24 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

So you removed the center console air ducting and it was empty? There isn't anywhere in the driveshaft tunnel for something to roll around on. If you're hearing it it's probably inside. If you felt like removing the center console again I would probably take it all the way out of the car including the air ducting and drive it without it and see if the sound is different. I bet it's a bit late for that idea...

Quick Reply: '00 LS Center Console Removal