LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1994 LS400 discontinued part search

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 05:18 PM
olsoncam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 LS400 discontinued part search

Can't find a Cam Position Sensor anywhere.
Lexus discontinued it. Lexuspartsnow.com doesn't have it either.
Any advice?
Part # 90919-05010 (Cali Specs)

Last edited by olsoncam; 03-31-17 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Add
Old 03-31-17, 05:22 PM
DerekD1010
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a few different brands that number interchanges to. Do some googling and match it up with a picture to verify.
AC Delco 213-2011
Airtex 5S1331
Borg Warner CSS595
Standard Motor Products PC267
Beck Arnley 180-0311
Old 03-31-17, 09:35 PM
olsoncam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DerekD1010
Here's a few different brands that number interchanges to. Do some googling and match it up with a picture to verify.
AC Delco 213-2011
Airtex 5S1331
Borg Warner CSS595
Standard Motor Products PC267
Beck Arnley 180-0311
Great! Thank you for the info!
Old 04-01-17, 11:27 AM
olsoncam
Driver School Candidate

What is the best brand to use for these sensors?, since the they discontinued making them and I have to use aftermarket
Old 04-01-17, 11:59 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Have you properly diagnosed this cam sensor as being a bad part?
Old 04-01-17, 12:06 PM
DerekD1010
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by olsoncam
What is the best brand to use for these sensors?, since the they discontinued making them and I have to use aftermarket
I'd recommend Beck Arnley
Old 04-01-17, 12:53 PM
olsoncam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Banshee365
The ECM coded them both as bad. The auto shop opened it up to the sensors and verified each one being bad.
Old 04-01-17, 03:39 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

I have a hard time believing both sensors failed only after the shop worked on it. At least that's how I recall your issues going.
The following users liked this post:
Yamae (04-01-17)
Old 04-01-17, 04:07 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

And for all the "use only dealer OEM parts" people, see this is what I've been talking about for a long time. Soon there will be no OEM for these cars. So some oem attitudes will need adjustment. And if codes for both sensors, I'd be checking the wiring and connectors first. Then looking for a signal from the sensors, and that is hard to do with out the fun stuff like Oscilloscopes.
Old 04-01-17, 04:13 PM
olsoncam
Driver School Candidate

I have a hard time believing both sensors failed only after the shop worked on it. At least that's how I recall your issues going.
I know. I feel the same way. But I trust the ECM. I think I made a good purchase on the rebuilt ECM I got. Just very weird how problem existed prior to ECM, plugs, wires, caps, roters, and fuel filter...And was much worse after the carbon clean out and replacement of all those above mentioned parts...With this code for the Cam sensors popping up and the shop testing both sensors directly after they dove into it directly.

Is there something else they should be considering as a possible culprit for the acceleration stuttering/bucking and CPS codes? I'm at a loss.
Old 04-01-17, 04:19 PM
olsoncam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
And for all the "use only dealer OEM parts" people, see this is what I've been talking about for a long time. Soon there will be no OEM for these cars. So some oem attitudes will need adjustment. And if codes for both sensors, I'd be checking the wiring and connectors first. Then looking for a signal from the sensors, and that is hard to do with out the fun stuff like Oscilloscopes.
Thank you dicer!!!
Can you give me a quick "chain of command" so to speak?? Meaning, if it is wires leading up to the CPS's what are they called specifically to that location and where do they draw their power from. Leg bone connected to the hip bone. Hip bone connected to the....
Old 04-01-17, 04:20 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by olsoncam
Can't find a Cam Position Sensor anywhere.
Lexus discontinued it. Lexuspartsnow.com doesn't have it either.
Any advice?
Part # 90919-05010 (Cali Specs)
amayama.com shows inventory in Japan.Price listed as $70.99 plus shipping.Good luck.
Old 04-01-17, 06:53 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Banshee365, you are always sharp. I can see how you are talented both in mechanical and electrical issues. I admire you reading your useful posts. It is strange for me too to have two sensors go bad simultaneously and need to be replaced. Unlike sensors that have semiconductor circuits inside, LS400/Celsior cam sensors are just made of a core and a coil and seldom fail except the connection issues. The core inside is very well thought of the Curie point and other reliability issues. I have never had any bad experience with those sensors used for Toyota's engines although there were many failed sensors that had semiconductors inside and were made by Mitsubishi used for Nissan, Suzuki, Subaru and some others. I have had many SOS calls from my locals shop owners to examine half dead Mitsubishi's sensors.

I worry about the rebuilt ECU not working well enough. Does it have correct capacitors and has a good capability to remove the ripple for the Vcc? Incorrect capacitors tend to have poor performance of the ripple rejection and the ECU malfunctions. The ripple modulates signals from analogue sensors such as cam position sensors and the processor judges that sensors are not working right. You'd better to check the ripple level first as is shown in the FAQ page.
Old 04-01-17, 08:32 PM
olsoncam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
Banshee365, you are always sharp. I can see how you are talented both in mechanical and electrical issues. I admire you reading your useful posts. It is strange for me too to have two sensors go bad simultaneously and need to be replaced. Unlike sensors that have semiconductor circuits inside, LS400/Celsior cam sensors are just made of a core and a coil and seldom fail except the connection issues. The core inside is very well thought of the Curie point and other reliability issues. I have never had any bad experience with those sensors used for Toyota's engines although there were many failed sensors that had semiconductors inside and were made by Mitsubishi used for Nissan, Suzuki, Subaru and some others. I have had many SOS calls from my locals shop owners to examine half dead Mitsubishi's sensors.

I worry about the rebuilt ECU not working well enough. Does it have correct capacitors and has a good capability to remove the ripple for the Vcc? Incorrect capacitors tend to have poor performance of the ripple rejection and the ECU malfunctions. The ripple modulates signals from analogue sensors such as cam position sensors and the processor judges that sensors are not working right. You'd better to check the ripple level first as is shown in the FAQ page.
Thank you both for the great information. I've taken notes and will direct these questions to the auto shop Monday morning.
Old 04-01-17, 08:49 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Surely the shop has checked the mechanical timing, no? What code is it showing?

Last edited by Banshee365; 04-01-17 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 1994 LS400 discontinued part search