LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Uneven tire wear on front right tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 02:58 PM
DerekD1010
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Uneven tire wear on front right tire

I have a '95 LS400 and I noticed some uneven tire wear on the outside of my front right tire today. It's also starting to happen on the front left side of my tire. My suspicion is the rack and pinion because it looks like it's starting to go bad. The boots are very wet on both sides but more so on the right side. I just had new tires installed with an alignment 2 years ago as well as new struts on the front and rear end. Could the rack and pinion be the cause of this uneven wear? Just visually looking at other suspension components I don't see any torn boots or anything like that but then again I don't know how to check for wear and tear on my suspension. Here's some pictures if any one has any knowledge to share please do so.
Passenger Side
Drivers Side

Old 03-22-17, 05:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

A possibility if the rack is loose. My thought is the leaking and tire wear are two separate issues. How many miles on car? Have any of the suspension parts been replaced? Any noises going over bumps or such?

Last edited by RA40; 03-22-17 at 11:38 PM. Reason: dooh
Old 03-22-17, 10:27 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Aligned two years ago? Yeah probably want to get it aligned again...
Old 03-23-17, 01:00 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Your steering rack looks like its pretty much needing replacement due to the amount of seepage coming out of the rack bellows. How many miles are on your car? Being a 95, its most likely due for replacement by now, being 22 years old. I had a 93 Accord with the original rack but had to get it replaced in 2010 due to fluid gushing out the seals. Napa makes good remanufactured ones, 7 years and still no leak to this day.

You should also be rotating the tires every 5000-7500 miles. If you've got 60k miles on the tires in the two years (30k a year) then i would say its not the rack's fault or the alignment's fault that it's worn out. That tire to me looks like its almost at the wear bars and needing replacement, regardless of the outer edge wear.

Try to do alignments every year, at least once a year even if you drive mostly highway and are very cautious about bumps and potholes in the road. Over time, suspension components can wear and its best to get things checked. Even if you don't feel like you need an alignment, most alignment shops advertise free alignment checks. Try to go to ones which have real-time alignment displays inside the waiting room, so you can see the specs change as the techs do the adjustments, if any are needed. I know that a Brakes Plus nearby me has a display that links to the customer waiting room so you can see what's being done live.

Also, if you have a Discount Tire Co. or America's Tire Co. (California) they do free tire rotations, you don't even need to buy tires from them, as well as check your air. I used to work there so that's a nice free service they offer the public as an incentive to come back to them when you do need tires.

Last edited by Losiracer2; 03-23-17 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-23-17, 01:50 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

About every LS I have seen has that tire wear pattern. Tells me not many outfits can properly align the LS, and that is one reason I do that operation my self.
Old 03-24-17, 09:40 AM
DerekD1010
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Your steering rack looks like its pretty much needing replacement due to the amount of seepage coming out of the rack bellows. How many miles are on your car? Being a 95, its most likely due for replacement by now, being 22 years old. I had a 93 Accord with the original rack but had to get it replaced in 2010 due to fluid gushing out the seals. Napa makes good remanufactured ones, 7 years and still no leak to this day.

You should also be rotating the tires every 5000-7500 miles. If you've got 60k miles on the tires in the two years (30k a year) then i would say its not the rack's fault or the alignment's fault that it's worn out. That tire to me looks like its almost at the wear bars and needing replacement, regardless of the outer edge wear.

Try to do alignments every year, at least once a year even if you drive mostly highway and are very cautious about bumps and potholes in the road. Over time, suspension components can wear and its best to get things checked. Even if you don't feel like you need an alignment, most alignment shops advertise free alignment checks. Try to go to ones which have real-time alignment displays inside the waiting room, so you can see the specs change as the techs do the adjustments, if any are needed. I know that a Brakes Plus nearby me has a display that links to the customer waiting room so you can see what's being done live.

Also, if you have a Discount Tire Co. or America's Tire Co. (California) they do free tire rotations, you don't even need to buy tires from them, as well as check your air. I used to work there so that's a nice free service they offer the public as an incentive to come back to them when you do need tires.
I'm pushing 170k miles right now. I just ordered a rack and pinion and plan on replacing that tomorrow. I'll definitely have to get an alignment after I do the job.
Old 03-25-17, 03:24 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekD1010
I'm pushing 170k miles right now. I just ordered a rack and pinion and plan on replacing that tomorrow. I'll definitely have to get an alignment after I do the job.
huh, that's rather low mileage for a rack to go out. Even on my 93 accord I think it went out at 230k or around there. Luckily I'm still good on my 97' w/ 278k. Though I think my high pressure PS hose is starting to leak at the crimps.
Old 03-27-17, 07:34 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekD1010
I have a '95 LS400 and I noticed some uneven tire wear on the outside of my front right tire today. It's also starting to happen on the front left side of my tire. My suspicion is the rack and pinion because it looks like it's starting to go bad. The boots are very wet on both sides but more so on the right side. I just had new tires installed with an alignment 2 years ago as well as new struts on the front and rear end. Could the rack and pinion be the cause of this uneven wear? Just visually looking at other suspension components I don't see any torn boots or anything like that but then again I don't know how to check for wear and tear on my suspension. Here's some pictures if any one has any knowledge to share please do so.
Passenger Side
Drivers Side
That tire wear looks to be nothing more than chronic hard cornering, low or high speed.

If it were excessive positive camber, you would see incremental wear across the tire treads.

If it were chronic low inflation, you would see some evidence of premature wear on the inside shoulder as well.

If it were a loose steering linkage/rack, you'd have a clattery steering wheel over bumps and both inner shoulders would "snow plow" under braking and you would have inside wear.

Lexus does like to ladle in the positive caster (you see the wheels "fall over" at full lock like a chopper or early Mercedes) and that can cause outer wear. Rotating the tires religiously can help.
Colin

Last edited by Amskeptic; 03-27-17 at 07:35 PM. Reason: got rid of duplicated photos
Old 03-28-17, 08:07 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If its like that on both tires it can also be an excessive toe in issue.