LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newbie Here- 97 purchase thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 04:19 AM
WVUGuy29
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newbie Here- 97 purchase thoughts?

Hi people. Newbie here. Just joined like 5 minutes ago. I was hoping some of you could help me out though. I'm coming into some inheritance money (not a lot but enough) and was wondering if you could give me some advice on a 97 model LS400. I had the chance to purchase a 92 LS400 about 3 years ago now and didn't because someone told me it would've cost more than it was worth (the problem was the timing belt; I'm not very car-savvy but I know some things and a timing belt isn't one of them) so I decided not to purchase it. That being said, I recently came across a 97 model on Craigslist (I know, I know: beware. I texted the guy or girl and they seem nice but I know to still be wary). I'll provide a link in a moment to that. My question, finally, is this: is this model worth the price? Could I talk the seller down by a bit? This will be my first car purchase in over 10 years so any and all advice you have for me would be super appreciated. You'll see all specs and interior/exterior shots in the link. I hope it's worth it. I so want it as I'm planning on taking some of my inheritance money and buying this car (I hope) to drive to Florida since that's where I'm gonna move to shortly. Again, any advice is helpful as I've never been a Lexus owner (I hope this isn't like some Eyes Wide shut sheet where if I don't own a Lexus I can't even be here... )

https://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/6031325306.html

Last edited by RA40; 03-17-17 at 12:22 PM. Reason: title adjustment
The following users liked this post:
armadill0 (03-18-17)
Old 03-17-17, 01:07 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Looks pretty damn good to me if all that work was actually done. But still, ya gotta look at it real good to make sure. He says firm on price but I'm sure he'd take a little less if ya got cash. I'm a 93-94 guy so others will have to tell you the known problems of the 97. But good luck. And congrats for moving out of the cold weather.
armadill0 (03-18-17)
Old 03-17-17, 04:26 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

He sounds like a guy I personally would not want to buy a car from, the padded ad. I would rather not buy a car from a wanta be car salesman and a self professed LS know it all.
armadill0 (03-18-17)
Old 03-17-17, 04:41 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome aboard WVU;
The driver's seat and arm rest reflect the mileage. The TB was changed in Sept. of 2011, but how many miles ago was that? 6 1/2 years could be 70,000 to 90,000 miles, so it could very well be ready for another timing belt soon. That's going to be 800-1200 dollars right there.
If it had 30,000 less miles, I would feel better about it.
armadill0 (03-18-17)
Old 03-17-17, 05:39 PM
WVUGuy29
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Welcome aboard WVU;
The driver's seat and arm rest reflect the mileage. The TB was changed in Sept. of 2011, but how many miles ago was that? 6 1/2 years could be 70,000 to 90,000 miles, so it could very well be ready for another timing belt soon. That's going to be 800-1200 dollars right there.
If it had 30,000 less miles, I would feel better about it.
I see but this is noteworthy as well

"** Timing belt and water pump replacement documented at 140,112 ** (Next change due at 230K)"

There's no way it wasn't changed again since 2011. Less than 9k miles per year, times 3 is almost 30k and while the odom reads slightly above the 30k mark, the mileage adds up. I'm not sure how long one is supposed to go before changing a TB but then again I'm not very car savvy, as I stated in my first post. I just sent him a text so I'll get back to you on the exact date (or round-about date) as to when the TB was last changed. But thank you for the input! I just really want this car lol.
armadill0 (03-18-17)
Old 03-17-17, 08:07 PM
Fro98686
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, not much front suspension work done on the maintenance list.
armadill0 (03-18-17)
Old 03-17-17, 08:27 PM
phohunned
Driver School Candidate

Welcome buddy,
The check engine light is on, and as mentioned before the ripped seat (doesn't look good and will cost you )

If you really want this car get it inspected.

This guy could be flipping this car for a quick buck.

And last but not least.... his price is NOT firm!!!!! Talk him down. Show up with what you think is reasonable, and sincerely offer it to him, if he says no then don't take the car, we are just being honest with what we think it's worth.

Peace and Goodluck
armadill0 (03-18-17)
Old 03-17-17, 08:31 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Might just want to wait until you move to Florida. Much better specimens there. Don't be in a hurry.
Good luck.
armadill0 (03-18-17)
Old 03-17-17, 09:43 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Black is the worse color for a car in hot climates. Black is the color that soaks up all the rays from the sun. And just do a search in physics forums or on youtube I'm sure that someone has posted about it. And its a pretty high price for high miles, and the torn interior. And x2 big time on the suspension, and likely the guy was a hot rodder of sorts to be putting 1UZFE in neon lights, so suspect power train problems down the road and transmission and engine mounts go with a heavy foot.
The following 2 users liked this post by dicer:
2KHarrier (03-18-17), armadill0 (03-18-17)
Old 03-18-17, 12:10 AM
WVUGuy29
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by phohunned
Welcome buddy,
The check engine light is on, and as mentioned before the ripped seat (doesn't look good and will cost you )

If you really want this car get it inspected.

This guy could be flipping this car for a quick buck.

And last but not least.... his price is NOT firm!!!!! Talk him down. Show up with what you think is reasonable, and sincerely offer it to him, if he says no then don't take the car, we are just being honest with what we think it's worth.

Peace and Goodluck
I plan on getting it inspected. And I also planned on talking him down too. I figured 3300 cash. Nobody hardly says no to cash, even on Pawn Stars haha. Problem is is I really don't know anyone in Johnson City or surrounding areas who could look at it. I suppose I could take someone with me to check it out. He did tell me (assuming it's a him) that a couple had came by to look at it and test drive it and said they would be back later but they hadn't been back yet. I said I understood and that money talks and plus I'm all the way in West Virginia so I'm a good oh 3-4 hours from JC so I would understand if someone bought it before my inheritance money came through. Thanks for your input however! It's greatly appreciated!
Old 03-18-17, 12:15 AM
WVUGuy29
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Legender
Might just want to wait until you move to Florida. Much better specimens there. Don't be in a hurry.
Good luck.
Yeah I thought about that, too, but it's going to be me, my friend and her daughter and allllll of our ***** in one vehicle and offhand I'm not for sure what kind of vehicle she has. I need one for Florida anyway and I stumbled across this LS400 and said, "Hey I remember that Lexus website with the people talking about it and whatnot. I'll ask them their opinions." Here we are haha. I truly appreciate all input as this is my first big car purchase in over 10 years so I'm wanting to make sure I get the best bang for my buck. I could go dealer but they want too much and I know private isn't always the best option but when you're ballin' on a budget, sometimes you gotta pick the lesser of two evils. Thanks again for your input and if I don't get this one, I'll definitely let y'all know what I DO get!
Old 03-18-17, 12:17 AM
WVUGuy29
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
Black is the worse color for a car in hot climates. Black is the color that soaks up all the rays from the sun. And just do a search in physics forums or on youtube I'm sure that someone has posted about it. And its a pretty high price for high miles, and the torn interior. And x2 big time on the suspension, and likely the guy was a hot rodder of sorts to be putting 1UZFE in neon lights, so suspect power train problems down the road and transmission and engine mounts go with a heavy foot.
Ok I got like four things out of this: color, miles, suspension and something about neon lights. Lay terms, anyone? Bueller?
Old 03-18-17, 04:32 AM
armadill0
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My recent buying experience of a 97 LS400 has proved:

+1 deanshark- "look at it real good"
+1 phohunned- " If you really want this car get it inspected."
+1 Legender- " Might just want to wait until you move to Florida." & "Don't be in a hurry"
+1 dicer- Black=HOT
Also consider that if the car stays outside much in salty air from the ocean, you will be having rust at some point.
Look at the engine bay in this one: https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/ctd/6016310371.html
I know that winter in WV means lots of road salt. Definitely need to see under the car if you're looking at one in WV.

Maybe Legender can give input on these examples in FL
https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/6046936311.html
https://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/6040006233.html
https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/6007367490.html

P.S.
I have family living in WV!!! Mom is a WVU grad!
Dad's family lives in FL.. how interesting....
Old 03-18-17, 10:06 AM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it was me, I would pass unless the seller will negotiate and you're willing to pay for the work that will need to be done.

There are a couple of red flags; the salesperson tone, the check engine light with no mention of why it is on in the ad, and the last timing belt change was not done on time (every 90k miles or sooner if the age is increasing more than the mileage) so this car likely went an extended period of time without scheduled maintenance being done.

To me, the most concerning red flag is the salesperson tone because if your car is in great shape, you don't need to convince potential buyers on why they should purchase it.

I also consider it a red flag that there's a picture of the stereo but it's not shown to be working but this might not be a big deal if you don't mind installing a new stereo (if it doesn't work). If I was selling, I would make sure to take a picture of the stereo on and fully functioning because this is usually important to someone who wants an LS 400.

I know you need a car to get to Florida in but don't get the wrong car just because you are in a pinch. Trust me, you will be paying for it later lol. Wait for the right one. As others have said, good specimens in Florida aren't hard to come across. I was looking for an LS 400 for quite some time before I bought mine recently and I've seen plenty of good ones in Florida.

Last edited by lexslexus; 03-18-17 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-18-17, 10:50 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

And it may not be a big deal, but I have a problem when the car is not shown at the person's home. I see cars on Craig's list that are pictured in some public setting (or a gas station..) and that always throws up a flag for me, as well as the other items mentioned thus far.

Quick Reply: Newbie Here- 97 purchase thoughts?