ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/)
-   -   Help! After cleaning throttle body Trac light turned on. (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/847456-help-after-cleaning-throttle-body-trac-light-turned-on.html)

AlaskanLS 02-17-17 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by deanshark (Post 9775018)
If you "sprayed" the MAF (which is actually AFM) then you ruined it. These AFMs are NOT to be cleaned. The MAF on 95 and up can be cleaned. That's why we need to know what year the car is, b/c they change every couple years. Try unplugging the AFM to see if the rough idle goes away. If so, test it with an Ohm meter. Not sure what the settings are supposed to be but if you search this forum you can find it. If the AFM is bad (which is a common problem) you will get terrible gas mileage. This could also be the cause of your black exhaust. (too much raw fuel being burned with no air) I was only getting 9 MPG in my 93 when the AFM was bad. Also, it doesn't always throw a code but you should check for codes anyway even if the light isn't on. Might be a code stored.

Even before cleaning the throttle body and AFM aka MAF the milage was terrible. I have parts ordered, which will be arriving on 21st hopefully those will solve my problem. I didn't go crazy on cleaning MAF. I slightly sprayed on it and put aside and then emptied 3 cans of throttle body cleaner in the throttle body but there was still a lot of carbon inside the throttle body. So I decided to order throttle body gasket, spark plugs and wire. I will be getting them on 21st. Then I will give you guys an update. I think the cause of the black smoke is flooding the throttle body with the carb cleaner. It wasn't easy to start. One more thing there is huge crack in the breather hose under the throttle body . I suspect the cause of this rough idle is also cracked hose.

Banshee365 02-17-17 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by AlaskanLS (Post 9774983)
dude this not blue it is black. I thought the same when I saw its pictures on craigslist.

Yes, I can tell your car is black. That's why I said 'for instance'. Like, as an example.

deanshark 02-17-17 08:20 PM

The AFM might have been bad even before you sprayed it, giving you that bad of gas mileage. That is the easiest test you can try about your rough idle even before your new parts come in. If the rough idle goes away you can save the plugs and wires for when you change the timing belt you mentioned. This is just some advise, which is what you asked for, from people who know these cars and have had these problems. Personally, I don't think the breather hose is your problem. But you can check that quick by wrapping the crack with duct tape temporarily to see if it idles different.

dicer 02-17-17 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by AlaskanLS (Post 9774983)
dude this not blue it is black. I thought the same when I saw its pictures on craigslist.

I know Banshee isn't color blind, and besides you had no picture at the beginning, so again more snarky stuff, you didn't even read what he said, he never said the color is, he said if. This is a great site to get help on, and to do the attitude with Banshee is really bad, he so far has been the best ever for posting pictures of and great tutorials of how to work on these cars.
Also you ignored my do not clean the air meter deal because a guy had to reiterate it at the last post.

AlaskanLS 02-17-17 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by dicer (Post 9775075)
I know Banshee isn't color blind, and besides you had no picture at the beginning, so again more snarky stuff, you didn't even read what he said, he never said the color is, he said if. This is a great site to get help on, and to do the attitude with Banshee is really bad, he so far has been the best ever for posting pictures of and great tutorials of how to work on these cars.
Also you ignored my do not clean the air meter deal because a guy had to reiterate it at the last post.

Big deal ha! I am not here for chat. I asked for an advice and if you can't help just move. Whoever creates account on this form is asked about his car model and year. You can look at the profile of the user and find out what car he or she owns.

Banshee365 02-17-17 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by AlaskanLS (Post 9775080)
Big deal ha! I am not here for chat. I asked for an advice and if you can't help just move. Whoever creates account on this form is asked about his car model and year. You can look at the profile of the user and find out what car he or she owns.

Good luck with it all.

RA40 02-18-17 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by AlaskanLS (Post 9775080)

We ask the members that post for advise specify which model year and miles so that we don't have to click through the profile before answering. We have a helpful knowledgeable community and we do our best to help fellow LS owners sort their car problems out. Let's play nicely. :)

dicer 02-18-17 01:26 PM

We play nicely but the top guys are budding out anytime this one comes here.

AlaskanLS 02-18-17 06:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)

If you "sprayed" the MAF (which is actually AFM) then you ruined it. These AFMs are NOT to be cleaned. The MAF on 95 and up can be cleaned. That's why we need to know what year the car is, b/c they change every couple years. Try unplugging the AFM to see if the rough idle goes away. If so, test it with an Ohm meter. Not sure what the settings are supposed to be but if you search this forum you can find it. If the AFM is bad (which is a common problem) you will get terrible gas mileage. This could also be the cause of your black exhaust. (too much raw fuel being burned with no air) I was only getting 9 MPG in my 93 when the AFM was bad. Also, it doesn't always throw a code but you should check for codes anyway even if the light isn't on. Might be a code stored.

I decided to remove the throttle body and it was nightmare inside. A lot of carbon was caked inside it. I also remove the spark plugs and found out that these spark plugs are used in lawnmower. I cleaned the throttle body close to like brand new but I am not gonna put it back togather till I get spark plugs, wires and other parts from Amazon.

deanshark 02-19-17 12:27 PM

That car should not have even been running with plugs that bad.
The throttle body looks nice and clean but those gouges on it aint good. Hope ya got a damn good gasket

AlaskanLS 02-22-17 10:04 PM

After replacing the spark plugs and wires and cleaning the throttle body. My car's engine is still stalling and running rich on fuel and making black smoke and the engine light and the trac light turned back on. I guess you are right I damaged the MAF sensor. I ordered used one from eBay. Fingers crossed, hopefully this solves my problem. I found a sticker on the timing belt cover. It shows the last time timing belt was changed in 1994 with 129000 miles on the clock.

AlaskanLS 02-27-17 02:52 PM

Success! Finally my check engine light and traction light turned off after replace AFM (MAF). Thanks to all the members that give me the advice on this issue. Special thanks to deanshark and dicer. I am sorry If I have made any one upset. I was stressed and wasn't thinking right. Thank you every one again!