LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New guy. I found a low mile LS400 but see the service records

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-16, 08:36 AM
Natas1979
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy. I found a low mile LS400 but see the service records

Hey Guys,

I found a low mile LS400 in the midwest. I pulled up the service records through Lexus, What do you guys think? Is it worth the 5 hour drive or run to the hills? I just posted a copy below. Sorry it might be hard to read as it did not copy well. Looks like whomever owned this car was having a surge between 30-40mph? Also water near the spark plug galleys? not sure if that is a sign of major water damage or just a bad/leaking water pump?. Even though its low miles and may be in good shape it seams like the owner declined most of the service?
54273 MILES
DATE: 03/26/2015

REPAIR# 0054660
REPORTED BY: Lexus of Orlando
SERVICE: AIR FILTER, R&R
DESCRIPTION: AIR FILTER, R&R ~ ~AIR FILTER, R&R ~ ~ ~ ~AIR FILTER, R&R
SERVICE: CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE

DESCRIPTION: CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE ~ ~POWER STEERING VACUUM SWITCH. REPLACE WITH P.S.PUMP FOR N/C LABOR ~ ~ ~ ~CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -RECOMMENDED, NOT DONE-CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONECUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE ~ ~V-BELT WITH T-BELT REPLACEMENT ~ ~ ~ ~CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -RECOMMENDED, NOT DONE-CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE
SERVICE: DIAGNOSTICS PERFORMED AS REQUESTED
DESCRIPTION: DIAGNOSTICS PERFORMED AS REQUESTED ~ ~DIAGNOSTIC CHARGE OF $79.95 THIS CHARGE WILL BE WAIVED IF CUSTOMER AGREES TO REPAIR. ~ ~ ~ ~DIAGNOSTICS PERFORMED AS REQUESTED

SERVICE: INSTALL EGR PLATE TO HELP WITH BUT NOT ELIMINATE SURGE
DESCRIPTION: INSTALL EGR PLATE TO HELP WITH BUT NOT ELIMINATE SURGE ~ ~'93 AND '94 LS400 HAVE A CONDITION OF TOO MUCH EGR CAUSING SURGE/MISFIRE SENSATION AT 30 TO 40 MPH. CAN HELP REDUCE SENSATION BUT CAN'T ELIMINATE. INSTALL EGR PLATE. ~ ~ ~ ~INSTALL EGR PLATE TO HELP WITH BUT NOT ELIMINATE SURGE
SERVICE: L
DESCRIPTION: L ~ ~"L"PASS - AUTOMATED VEHICLE RECOGNITION SYSTEM IDENTIFICATION LABEL HAS BEEN APPLIED TO VEHICLE. ~ ~ ~ ~L
SERVICE: MILES OUT:54273
DESCRIPTION: MILES OUT:54273 ~ ~TECHNICIAN MUST DOCUMENT MILES OUT WHEN SERVICE IS COMPLETED ~ ~ ~ ~MILES OUT:54273

SERVICE: NORMAL EGR SURGE FELT ON TEST DRIVE
DESCRIPTION: NORMAL EGR SURGE FELT ON TEST DRIVE ~ ~C/S THE VEHICLE HAS A SLIGHT MISS WHILE CRUISEING AT 30 TO 40 MPH , UNDER VERY LIGHT ACCELERATION , SPARK PLUG HAS BEEN REPLACED, HOWEVER HAS NOT CORRECT CONCERN. ~ ~ ~ ~NORMAL EGR SURGE FELT ON TEST DRIVE

SERVICE: PERFORM 90,000 MILE INTERVAL SERVICE W/ TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT
DESCRIPTION: PERFORM 90,000 MILE INTERVAL SERVICE W/ TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT ~ ~PERFORM 90,000 MILE INTERVAL SERVICE W/ TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT. NO HISTORY OF T-BELT REPLACEMENT. PAST DUE BY TIME. AIR FILTER VERY DIRTY/PLUGGED. COOLANT AND BRAKE FLUID DARK ~ ~ ~ ~PERFORM 90,000 MILE INTERVAL SERVICE W/ TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -RECOMMENDED, NOT DONE-PERFORM 90,000 MILE INTERVAL SERVICE W/ TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT

SERVICE: PERFORM WORLD CLASS INSPECTION ON VEHICLE
DESCRIPTION: PERFORM WORLD CLASS INSPECTION ON VEHICLE ~ ~PERFORM WORLD CLASS INSPECTION ON VEHICLE ~ ~ ~ ~PERFORM WORLD CLASS INSPECTION ON VEHICLE

SERVICE: PERFORMED 5,000 MILE INTERVAL SERVICE
DESCRIPTION: PERFORMED 5,000 MILE INTERVAL SERVICE ~ ~PERFORM 5K INTERVAL SERVICE ~ ~ ~ ~PERFORMED 5,000 MILE INTERVAL SERVICE

SERVICE: PERFORMED COMPLIMENTARY WASH AND VACUUM
DESCRIPTION: PERFORMED COMPLIMENTARY WASH AND VACUUM ~ ~PERFORM WASH & VACUUM AFTER SERVICE ~ ~ ~ ~PERFORMED COMPLIMENTARY WASH AND VACUUM
SERVICE: POWER STEERING PUMP, R&R

DESCRIPTION: POWER STEERING PUMP, R&R ~ ~POWER STEERING PUMP, R&R, LEAKING FLUID ON ALTERNATOR ~ ~ ~ ~POWER STEERING PUMP, R&R,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -RECOMMENDED, NOT DONE-POWER STEERING PUMP, R&R

SERVICE: PROVIDE RED CARPET TREATMENT
DESCRIPTION: PROVIDE RED CARPET TREATMENT ~ ~PROVIDE RED CARPET TREATMENT - NEW OR INACTIVE CUSTOMER - HERE FOR SSC ~ ~ ~ ~PROVIDE RED CARPET TREATMENT

SERVICE: REPLACE WATER PUMP & FRONT OIL SEALS
DESCRIPTION: REPLACE WATER PUMP & FRONT OIL SEALS ~ ~REPLACE WATER PUMP & FRONT OIL SEALS (WHEN DONE W/TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT) ~ ~ ~ ~REPLACE WATER PUMP & FRONT OIL SEALS,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -RECOMMENDED, NOT DONE-REPLACE WATER PUMP & FRONT OIL SEALS

SERVICE: REPLACED AIR CONDITIONING FILTER
DESCRIPTION: REPLACED AIR CONDITIONING FILTER ~ ~REPLACE AIR CONDITIONING FILTER ~ ~ ~ ~REPLACED AIR CONDITIONING FILTER,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -RECOMMENDED, NOT DONE-REPLACED AIR CONDITIONING FILTER

SERVICE: SPARK PLUG WIRES, R&R
DESCRIPTION: SPARK PLUG WIRES, R&R ~ ~SPARK PLUG WIRES, R&R, PLUG WIRES HAVE SIGNS OF WATER DAMAGE ~ ~ ~ ~SPARK PLUG WIRES, R&R,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -RECOMMENDED, NOT DONE-SPARK PLUG WIRES, R&R

Last edited by Natas1979; 12-31-16 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-31-16, 10:43 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Broadening the search area, I see....
That's not really a complete service history from what I can tell. Perhaps a link to the site where you found the car, so we can give a more thorough opinion?
Is it a 1990-93, or a 1994-2000? Big differences in the 2 generations. If that belt and water pump hasn't been done, that would have to be done before any amount of driving. Keep in mind, that repairs may have been done at an independent shop. As I stated in the other post, read as much as you can about these cars. Almost every problem has been discussed in detail here.
Read, read, read, Natas...
Old 12-31-16, 11:12 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

quote: DESCRIPTION: CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE ~ ~POWER STEERING VACUUM SWITCH. REPLACE WITH P.S.PUMP FOR N/C LABOR ~ ~ ~ ~CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -RECOMMENDED, NOT DONE-CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE ~ ~V-BELT WITH T-BELT REPLACEMENT ~ ~ ~ ~CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -RECOMMENDED, NOT DONE-CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT WORK DONE..

I think his mindset was "I'll just sell this sucker"
orlando fla, could have been underwater ?? I think "run for the hills"
Attached Thumbnails New guy. I found a low mile LS400 but see the service records-th.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 01-01-17 at 06:37 AM. Reason: just my thoughts...
Old 01-01-17, 09:04 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm thinking the surging problems might be due to the age of the spark plug wires and them not making proper connectivity with the plugs, one of the insulators might be cracked. That would be a plausible reason behind an engine missing.

Also the EGR pipe, if this is a 95-00 model, would make sense due to the age of the vehicle and not so much the mileage. It is a pretty common problem. I know mine was completely broken in two. I had mine welded for and fixed for $20 instead of replacement for $120 and its working fine.

A lot of those problems listed are due to the vehicle being the age that it is. I would be weary though, if they opted not to change the air filter, who knows how long they might have put off basic maintenance. I mean, c'mon, an air filter? that's the cheapest thing a dealer can throw at you and he still declined?

This guy may not have taken the best of care of the car, but the low miles are tempting to take a look at, meaning the interior and exterior might be in pretty good shape if it was garage kept, I'd just be worried about the powertrain and seals due to not being driven as much. When a car sits, that can also be a nightmare on parts that want to be lubricated every so often. Hell I'm still on my original valve cover gaskets at 276k miles and they're just barely wet, but not leaking which I attest to this car being driven regularly.
Old 01-01-17, 10:10 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

You should at least run a Carfax on this one. How many owners? You say you found it in midwest but that diagnostic says Orlando.(Florida???) He could have just got the diagnosis (9 months ago) and did all the work himself but there's no way of knowing.
I agree with billydpowe, run away. It could be a flood vehicle.
Old 01-01-17, 10:58 PM
Natas1979
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
You should at least run a Carfax on this one. How many owners? You say you found it in midwest but that diagnostic says Orlando.(Florida???) He could have just got the diagnosis (9 months ago) and did all the work himself but there's no way of knowing.
I agree with billydpowe, run away. It could be a flood vehicle.
So, the plot thickens. I gave the guy a call. He sounds super old which makes me want to believe him and all of his Grandpa ways.

I guess he bought the car car from the original owners. They where friends. Both have summer houses in Florida in the same area. He said someone decided to wash the engine bay and so water was sitting on the engine near the plugs? Makes sense and I want to believe him. Plugs got changed out and he says the original ones are still in the trunk along with the original Lexus tool kit. Car has never seen a Midwest winter. All the receipts for the service work are in the glove box. I told him I was driving from a good distance so I just wanted him to be upfront with me. He knew quite a lot about the history of the car before I even brought up the Lexus online service records. So, we will wait and see!
Old 01-02-17, 06:05 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Seriously?

I can't believe you've had all these posts, and no one has demanded that you should state the year model first!
Old 01-02-17, 06:28 AM
Natas1979
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fixmiester
I can't believe you've had all these posts, and no one has demanded that you should state the year model first!
its a 1994
Old 01-02-17, 10:38 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fixmiester
That's b/c in the service record it says:
~'93 AND '94 LS400 HAVE A CONDITION OF TOO MUCH EGR CAUSING SURGE/MISFIRE SENSATION AT 30 TO 40 MPH.

Nobody asked how much he's asking for the car either. Just b/c it has very low miles doesn't mean it's worth alot. It's good it hasn't seen the midwest winters but remember all that heat. But then again, if the original owner had a "summer home" there, where was he from? Carfax.
Old 01-02-17, 11:30 AM
Natas1979
Driver School Candidate

That's b/c in the service record it says:
~'93 AND '94 LS400 HAVE A CONDITION OF TOO MUCH EGR CAUSING SURGE/MISFIRE SENSATION AT 30 TO 40 MPH.

Nobody asked how much he's asking for the car either. Just b/c it has very low miles doesn't mean it's worth alot. It's good it hasn't seen the midwest winters but remember all that heat. But then again, if the original owner had a "summer home" there, where was he from? Carfax.
He is asking $6700.

I am gonna Carfax the car tonight. Car was down in Orlando area. Which kinda concerns me with all the hurricane weather.
Old 01-02-17, 01:17 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

it sounds like he has you hooked for good.. hope you enjoy it... my first lexus ls400 was a 1994, that a company owned that had several drivers.. I bought it in 1996 (for a song) with 235k miles on it and had a broken timing belt.. I fixed it and drove it for about a year and fell in love with the LS400's .. from then on I bought 2 at a time for me and my wife. 95's, 96's & 97's. bought her a 99, and loved it even more, I have had 5 additional 99's... got into my 80's and went back to one car, a 99 she was driving.. during this time I had sold my auto repair shop and retired..
SO, I said that to say this..... I get the feeling that this is a car that will require a LOT ($$) of upkeep... and with the low mileage, it might be worth it (depends on your $$)..
if the money is no problem, go for it and you can tell a story like mine someday.... it will be a good read...
my blessings on you...
Attached Thumbnails New guy. I found a low mile LS400 but see the service records-003.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Natas1979 (01-02-17)
Old 01-02-17, 05:30 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Wow that's alot for a 94. If you go look at it check ALL the bushings in the front and rear suspension, heat is murder on rubber. Also motor and tranny mounts. My first LS had stock air shocks which I loved, til one shock went bad. $1300 for one shock, if you stay with stock. I changed all 4 with the conversion shocks, no more trouble. Keep in mind that parts are expensive so read up a bit on known problems for the 94 so you can see what's been changed, and more important, what hasn't.
Old 01-02-17, 06:57 PM
Natas1979
Driver School Candidate

Wow that's alot for a 94. If you go look at it check ALL the bushings in the front and rear suspension, heat is murder on rubber. Also motor and tranny mounts. My first LS had stock air shocks which I loved, til one shock went bad. $1300 for one shock, if you stay with stock. I changed all 4 with the conversion shocks, no more trouble. Keep in mind that parts are expensive so read up a bit on known problems for the 94 so you can see what's been changed, and more important, what hasn't.
The guy had it originally for $8,500.

I also test drove a 99 LS400 today with 120,000 miles. They wanted 7k for it and it already had an engine replaced which I didn't know about until their mechanic opened his mouth. The car was clean on the inside but definitely had some wear and tear on the exterior plus it was a black car. Oh, and it needed brakes and an alignment. So for what this guy is asking for his low mile 1994 I think is reasonable....if its in mint condition.
Old 01-02-17, 07:41 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Natas1979
The guy had it originally for $8,500.

I also test drove a 99 LS400 today with 120,000 miles. They wanted 7k for it and it already had an engine replaced which I didn't know about until their mechanic opened his mouth. The car was clean on the inside but definitely had some wear and tear on the exterior plus it was a black car. Oh, and it needed brakes and an alignment. So for what this guy is asking for his low mile 1994 I think is reasonable....if its in mint condition.
Engine replace at 120k ? That is a bad sign. Mint condition? What color and what options? No options no big price.
Old 01-02-17, 07:56 PM
Natas1979
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
Engine replace at 120k ? That is a bad sign. Mint condition? What color and what options? No options no big price.
Yes, just to clarify, this was a different car that the one I originally posted about. It was 5 minutes from my house so I just wanted to take a look. Define mint condition? This one from today had some dings and scrapes. Nothing out of the norm for a car from 1999. But if I am paying a premium I want that car to be close to brand new. KBB is listing this cars at 4k in excellant shape. I am just not seeing them in my area with low miles. Everything that is 4k has almost 200k on the odometer. The guy was trying to make a deal once he found out I had the cash but I just wasn't into it once I learned about the motor replacement. Their mechenic was trying to play it off like it was a good thing since the new (used)motor only has 70k miles on it. I am glad people have big mouths sometimes. Heres is the link from the one today. http://www.primemotorsport.com/web/u...n-IL/34123985/

I am heading out on Wednesday to take a look at the low mileage one. Its a half day drive

Last edited by Natas1979; 01-02-17 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: New guy. I found a low mile LS400 but see the service records