LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Aisin aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 06:24 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Aisin aftermarket parts

As many ClubLexus members know, Aisin is an OEM supplier or waterpumps, oil pumps, Fan Bracket Pulleys, Transmissions, fluids and other components to Toyota/Lexus. In fact, on information Toyota is a stakeholder and owner in Aisin.

It was my intention to provide a comparison report between Aisin waterpumps and Fan Pulley Brackets vs. other aftermarket alternatives, however Aisin appeared unwilling, incapable or time constrained to more fully assist.

Here is what I encountered as a consumer;

I ordered 1993 and 1999 LS400 Aisin Fan Pulley Brackets from Rock Auto....

Amazon was out because another ClubLexus member reported they had received a timing belt kit where the parts were removed from the individual factory boxes and dumped into a plastic bag, (plausibly to save on freight) causing damage to the composite waterpump impeller...

i provided this information to Aisin who said they would look into it.

I ordered instead from RockAuto...

Attached are images of the overbox(in perfect condition) from Rock Auto containing the two fan pulley brackets.

One of the Aisin boxes was badly compressed (crunched) to the point where the studs had penetrated the Aisin packaging, yet patched with tape before it was placed in the Rock Auto shipping box.

Two things..it is the authors opinion that Aisin does not use adequste packaging with cardboard inserts to properly secure and protect rotating components and..apparently the supply chain partners still have not been fully trained on shipping damaged or undesigned packaging with Aisin products.

This is on Aisin.

Last, I comment the 4 studs in the fan bracket bearing are too long as they noticeably protrude behind the hub. (See attached image).

Not only does it look unfinished, but at speed the stud ends whip through the air with potential for creating turbulence and thus streaming noise.(perhaps more relevant on non-fan clutch models using electric fans (Lexus motto is Pursuit of Perfection...those who read my postings realize Toyota left room for pursuing Aisin product as packaged and received from Rock Auto
As packaged by Rock Auto
Fan Pulley Bracket in box. (part removed and replaced before photo taken)

Side view depicting studs on fan pulley bracket protruding too far from back of hub. AISIN manufacturers some fairly sophisticated assemled product for this to occur...
improvement)

It certainly does not cost Aisin anything to implement this change
Old 12-27-16, 07:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

The studs being that way is going to have literally no discernible difference. I don't think it's something to be concerned with. You're talking about 4 1/16-1/8" studs protruding behind a fan pushing hundreds of CFM. Not going to be an issue.

Most manufacturers seem to struggle with packaging automotive parts for consumer shipping. The denso alternator i just received with a belt pulley from being dropped during shipping is another example
Old 12-27-16, 09:17 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
The studs being that way is going to have literally no discernible difference. I don't think it's something to be concerned with. You're talking about 4 1/16-1/8" studs protruding behind a fan pushing hundreds of CFM. Not going to be an issue.

Most manufacturers seem to struggle with packaging automotive parts for consumer shipping. The denso alternator i just received with a belt pulley from being dropped during shipping is another example

If it helps, I was a manufacturer's representative for Papst Motoren, now EBM-Papst.a manufacturer of ultra-quiet precision axial cooling fans. Every half dB (A) was critical to the OEM.I tell you this.... side-by -side there is a discernible difference with the studs protruding....you look for ten places to reduce noise and viola...discernible results.

While on topic... the radiator fan used in the LS400, electric radiator fans used in the LS430 did not represent what was possible in sound attenuation.... (all metal blades do not creep, warp, flutter or wobble.like plastic) even glass-fillled composite would represent an improvement... OEM nylon??

Neither were the fan clutch fins optimized for noise reduction...and noise reduction best occurs at the source.

...never mind the rumbling A.C./heater blower motor; (noisy plastic squirrel cage) blow-molded ducts (inadequate mass) improperly profiled, cheap foam(non-optimized damping) for sealing transitions) etc.

Please excuse my trained ear, but LS is marketed as a high-end luxury car

Meanwhile ....still.room for pursuit of perfection...

Last edited by YODAONE; 12-27-16 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-28-16, 09:49 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kitabel
2 possibles come to mind:
1. Rock Auto makes money by specifically purchasing DIS parts from Aisin (that a Lexus dealer might reject) at a reduced cost
2. these are an exception, since RA would never buy bulk items shipped in small boxes, it's more likely to be a container load of pallets
Lexus and Toyota parts are packed in Toyota brand-labeled packaging...not emblazoned with Aisin labeling.

Toyota packaging is superior.

This is the first I am hearing that Toyota rejects are redirected by Aisin to the open market...

This would imply that Aisin had enough rejects to supply an entire aftermarket...

Anything to corroborate this activity??

The take away here is Aisin is not minding parts packaging nor adequately monitoring their supply chain partners
The following users liked this post:
UNCNOR (12-29-16)