ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/)
-   -   Please help identify this part (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/842365-please-help-identify-this-part.html)

saleenssc 12-20-16 02:41 PM

Please help identify this part

1 Attachment(s)
1998 LS400
170k miles

I noticed a leak next to the front drivers side wheel. I have attached a pic. Any idea what it is and why its soaked in what looks like oil?

thanks

billydpowe 12-20-16 07:33 PM

looks like it could be vehicle skid control buzzer, ABS/VSC

bradland 12-21-16 12:23 AM

That's the Progressive Power Steering (PPS) valve. It slides out in the exact same direction as the bolt that holds the bracket in place. Try tightening that same retaining bolt as it closes the seal once tight. If that doesn't stop the leak you may have to pull it out to see what's going on. Put a pan under as you'll lose plenty of fluid. It's the newer style valve with 3 fairly fragile o rings so be careful.

Here's a pic of the gen before your car. I couldn't find a pic of the 98-2000 valve.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...0c53b93f8c.jpg

bradland 12-21-16 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From the service manual...

saleenssc 12-21-16 04:23 AM

thanks so much for the info. I will try to tighten it soon. Is the PPS valve sold seperately ? or do you need to buy an entire steering rack? I called my local lexus dealer to get an idea of what it would cost and they told me it was not sold individually and i would need to buy the whole steering rack ( $700). Ive checked rockauto.com and didnt see it.

oldskewel 12-21-16 09:20 AM

I can't tell for sure, and am not familiar with a new car like yours, but that looks very similar to the solenoid valve on the Gen 1's that contains the small filter that is the root cause of all Gen 1 PS problems.

If it is, then before buying anything, I would remove the valve and see if you can access a little mesh screen filter in there. Then clean it carefully and reassemble. It is likely to have lots of solid gunk clogging it up.

On the Gen 1's, this little filter would gradually clog over time, creating a partial blockage in the system. So the pressure upstream of it would become higher than it should be, leading to leaks and other PS part failures upstream. The pressure downstream of it would be reduced, reducing the effectiveness of the power steering. Since the PS system is so good to begin with, that degradation just made it like a normal car. But when you get the clog removed it becomes the best PS on the planet once again.

I think this solenoid rack valve filter is covered in one of the stickies on this site. If not, a quick search gave me this: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/12024-help/

billydpowe 12-21-16 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
sure glad I was wrong, .. I thought about going out in the garage, getting down on the floor and looking at my 99 to see what it was, but being 82 and in bad physical condition,(I had a stroke) I was able to fight that impulse off pretty quick, but glad some others came to your rescue ...

saleenssc 12-21-16 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by billydpowe (Post 9713440)
sure glad I was wrong, .. I thought about going out in the garage, getting down on the floor and looking at my 99 to see what it was, but being 82 and in bad physical condition,(I had a stroke) I was able to fight that impulse off pretty quick, but glad some others came to your rescue ...

:) No worries. Take care of yourself

bradland 12-21-16 12:56 PM

The newer valve does NOT have a screen that is exposed and serviceable. There may be one inside the valve but if so you can't see it. I learned this 8 years ago when I pulled mine for that very reason, to clean the screen, and discovered it was different. Don't be afraid to remove it but like I said you will lose fluid and have to subsequently bleed the system. If you choose to just be careful and pull it straight out without too much wiggle as the 3 o rings are not the kind you find at a local parts store! I've asked my local Lexus parts counter staff for part numbers of the 3 rings and they all shook their heads...????

I would clean it up then tighten the bolt and check it in a week or so. If it's still leaking then dig a little deeper...

saleenssc 12-21-16 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by bradland (Post 9713560)
The newer valve does NOT have a screen that is exposed and serviceable. There may be one inside the valve but if so you can't see it. I learned this 8 years ago when I pulled mine for that very reason, to clean the screen, and discovered it was different. Don't be afraid to remove it but like I said you will lose fluid and have to subsequently bleed the system. If you choose to just be careful and pull it straight out without too much wiggle as the 3 o rings are not the kind you find at a local parts store! I've asked my local Lexus parts counter staff for part numbers of the 3 rings and they all shook their heads...????

I would clean it up then tighten the bolt and check it in a week or so. If it's still leaking then dig a little deeper...

its the one bolt right underneath that needs to be tightened? Do i need to tighten to a certain torque setting?

thanks

bradland 12-21-16 02:41 PM

Yes that's the one. I may have to dig a little to find the exact torque spec...
I kinda doubt it has come loose but anything is possible. If I remember correctly I had to use a 3/8 drive (approx 12" long) breaker bar to get it loose initially. I'm pretty sure it's a 12mm bolt. If you can move it at all before breaking it loose that would speak volumes....

saleenssc 12-21-16 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by bradland (Post 9713677)
Yes that's the one. I may have to dig a little to find the exact torque spec...
I kinda doubt it has come loose but anything is possible. If I remember correctly I had to use a 3/8 drive (approx 12" long) breaker bar to get it loose initially. I'm pretty sure it's a 12mm bolt. If you can move it at all before breaking it loose that would speak volumes....

thanks. Ill give that a try.

saleenssc 12-24-16 09:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
After tightening the bolt and cleaning up the area. I noticed the leak from a tiny opening at the bottom. What is it for? Please see pics? Any thoughts on why its leaking from here? Can i just jb weld that opening shut ?

dicer 12-24-16 11:52 AM

If there is a little hole at the bottom, the usual reason for it is a weep hole, to show if there is internal leakage, so I guess it is doing its job. As far as orings a cheapy harbor freight oring kit may have something that comes close, and close is better than no oring.

bradland 12-24-16 12:01 PM

That's interesting...
I definitely don't remember a hole there. Are you anywhere near a Pick A Part or a salvage yard to grab another one? I'm fairly positive it's not available to purchase new without buying the entire rack.

I suppose JB Weld is worth a try...?