LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

26 yr old OEM part vs brand new non-oem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 10:41 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 26 yr old OEM part vs brand new non-oem

A few months ago my brake lights stopped working and I replaced the brake switch with a cheap one I got at O'Reilly's. The OEM switch was 26 yrs old (I drive a 1990 LS400). However, the cause was not the switch but a short within one of the lights.
I fixed the short and thought - "no big deal, at least the OEM switch was really old, good preventative maintenance." I mean, the OEM switch is so old that it has light rust on it.
But I kept it, "just in case". I left it in the little ashtray in the front console, and its been there ever since (my wife wanted to throw it out, but I didn't let her).
And yesterday I was about to go home after a hard day at work, it was late but busy (stop and go traffic everywhere), and guess what? The brake light switch stopped working (which locked up my shifter). I press the brake pedal and - nothing. I tried a few times, turned on the heating to see if that helps, but nothing. After 20 minutes of wasted time I gave in and replaced the switch with the old, OEM one right there, on the street.
And guess what? The 26 year old OEM brake switch works. The new one does not.
That was the LAST time I bought anything that is not OEM for Lexus (except for consumables).
Old 12-08-16, 10:47 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by peterls
A few months ago my brake lights stopped working and I replaced the brake switch with a cheap one I got at O'Reilly's. The OEM switch was 26 yrs old (I drive a 1990 LS400). However, the cause was not the switch but a short within one of the lights.
I fixed the short and thought - "no big deal, at least the OEM switch was really old, good preventative maintenance." I mean, the OEM switch is so old that it has light rust on it.
But I kept it, "just in case". I left it in the little ashtray in the front console, and its been there ever since (my wife wanted to throw it out, but I didn't let her).
And yesterday I was about to go home after a hard day at work, it was late but busy (stop and go traffic everywhere), and guess what? The brake light switch stopped working (which locked up my shifter). I press the brake pedal and - nothing. I tried a few times, turned on the heating to see if that helps, but nothing. After 20 minutes of wasted time I gave in and replaced the switch with the old, OEM one right there, on the street.
And guess what? The 26 year old OEM brake switch works. The new one does not.
That was the LAST time I bought anything that is not OEM for Lexus (except for consumables).
A least the new brake switch matched up with the plug. Mine was totally different. Hard to get good help from these aftermarket stores, let alone the subject of quality.
Old 12-08-16, 05:09 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It is not a good idea to toss any old lexus part. No matter what it is can be fixed, except shattered glass of course.