LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Oil leak from bottom of engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 05:19 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
I saw the old tutorial on the LexLs page for doing the job on a 90-94. Any idea how close this procedure would be for a 98?
You should obtain the following parts from Lexus (DO NOT USE AFTERMARKET) when you replace valve cover gaskets;

1) Left and right valve cover gaskets.

2.) Spark plug tube seals quantity 8

3.) Valve cover bolts with rubber sealing washers quantity 18 on 1998-2000 LS400 (sealing washets can be ordered seperate fron bolts, but saves a lot of labor if payong someone.

4.) PCV Valve grommet

5.) PCV Valve

6..).Left and right bank PCV hoses.

7.) Hose clamps for right and left PCV hoses quantity 4.

8.) Spark plugs.

9.) Anti-seize compound for spark plug threads (NOT copper based as used on oxygen sensors!!)

10.) Dielectric grease for ignition coil or plug swire boots interface with spark plug.

11.) If 98+ LS400 be aware the ignition coil plugs connectors are very brittle and prone to breakage...
(Lexus did not use a rubber shroud around engine connectors as was done with 94 and earlier LS400 so heat cooks the plastic dry)

Solution is to carefully remove ignition coil from spark plug tube with disconnecting connector...otherwise Lexus offers replacement connector shells, but will require a tool to compress lances on connector contacts for extraction of wire/contact from original connector shell. (OR ithe wire harness connector shell is often so brittle it will crumble away with minimal clipping with small needle nose pliers or small side cutters and allow you to extract wire with contact intact. Take your time and be careful.to manage wire orientation and not damage contacts.

The existing contact will snap fit precisely into new connector shell.

12.) FIPG (form in place gasket) from Toyota or Lexus (type compatible with engine oil) (use OEM) to be used with valve cover gasket in areas(usually sharp transitions and corners) and the half-moon shaped plugs that are used to fill in at both front and rear of top of cylinder head where machine cut through the head lengthwise in preparation for the camshafts...use a gripping tool to remove. (see # 11183 on exploded parts diagram 1998-2000 VVTi head shown.
Completely cean old sealing compound from mating surfaces. See shop manual for further information.

13.) CRC BRAKE cleaner (red label) to remove all residue from valve cover.

14.) Plastic gasket scraping tool to avoid gouging soft sluminum parts.

15.) Old toothbrush for cleaning surfaces

16.) 10 mm socket -suggest 1/4" drive.

17.) 1/4" drive swivel

18.) Other tools depending upon year...

18.) 8" 1/4" drive extension.

19.) 1/4" ratchet or 3/8" to 1/4" drive adapter.
The following users liked this post:
RA40 (12-15-16)
Old 12-15-16, 05:20 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

I saw the old tutorial on the LexLs page for doing the job on a 90-94. Any idea how close this procedure would be for a 98?
You should obtain the following parts from Lexus (DO NOT USE AFTERMARKET) when you replace valve cover gaskets;

1) Left and right valve cover gaskets.

2.) Spark plug tube seals quantity 8

3.) Valve cover bolts with rubber sealing washers quantity 18 on 1998-2000 LS400 (sealing washets can be ordered seperate fron bolts, but saves a lot of labor if payong someone.

4.) PCV Valve grommet

5.) PCV Valve

6..).Left and right bank PCV hoses.

7.) Hose clamps for right and left PCV hoses quantity 4.

8.) Spark plugs.

9.) Anti-seize compound for spark plug threads (NOT copper based as used on oxygen sensors!!)

10.) Dielectric grease for ignition coil or plug wire boots interface with spark plug.

11.) If 98+ LS400 be aware the ignition coil plugs connectors are very brittle and prone to breakage...
(Lexus did not use a rubber shroud around engine connectors as was done with 94 and earlier LS400 so heat cooks the plastic dry)

Solution is to carefully remove ignition coil from spark plug tube without disconnecting connector...otherwise Lexus offers replacement connector shells in case of breakage , but will require a tool to compress lances on connector contacts for extraction of wire/contact from original connector shell. (OR ithe wire harness connector shell is often so brittle it will crumble away with minimal clipping with small needle nose pliers or small side cutters and allow you to extract wire with contact intact. Take your time and be careful.to manage wire orientation and not damage contacts.

The existing contact will snap fit precisely into new connector shell.

12.) FIPG (form in place gasket) from Toyota or Lexus (type compatible with engine oil) (use OEM) to be used with valve cover gasket in areas(usually sharp transitions and corners) and the half-moon shaped plugs that are used to fill in at both front and rear of top of cylinder head where machine cut through the head lengthwise in preparation for the camshafts...use a gripping tool to remove. (see # 11183 on exploded parts diagram 1998-2000 VVTi head shown.
Completely cean old sealing compound from mating surfaces. See shop manual for further information.

13.) CRC BRAKE cleaner (red label) to remove all residue from valve cover.

14.) Plastic gasket scraping tool to avoid gouging soft sluminum parts.

15.) Old toothbrush for cleaning surfaces

16.) 10 mm socket -suggest 1/4" drive.

17.) 1/4" drive swivel

18.) Other tools depending upon year...

18.) 8" 1/4" drive extension.

19.) 1/4" ratchet or 3/8" to 1/4" drive adapter.

Last edited by YODAONE; 12-15-16 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-16-16, 05:59 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the detailed reply. Guess that's about as close as we'll get to a tutorial?
Old 12-19-16, 08:01 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Thumbs up 98-00 VCG Tutorial

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...t-replacement/

Not sure if richardkwon is a member here but if anyone knows of him - thank him for me!
Old 12-19-16, 10:32 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
The itemized amount for the valve cover gaskets on mine was $632. Oil leaking from here isn't a critical running issue, just messy. They will leak more and more as those hard parts allow more oil to get past.
Yeah, I just got another quote today for $615 - including plugs and wires. The tutorial I found ^^^ is pretty comprehensive but......idk...$600 vs a lot of time and frustration - considering I've never done anything on this scale before.
Old 12-19-16, 11:35 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

My motivation to wrench has dropped significantly considering that these guys can do the job about 3X faster than what I would do it at. I've done valve cover gaskets on other cars and it the task isn't complicated in itself. I tire from all the stuff that has to be removed to gain access. This job is about 2 - 3 hours book time, the $600 is well worth it to me because I know I'll make a near full day - 6 hours as a DIY.

One way to learn and completing the task is rewarding. If you have the tools and time...
Old 12-19-16, 06:16 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...t-replacement/

Not sure if richardkwon is a member here but if anyone knows of him - thank him for me!
My post disappeared but i used that same tutorial to change mines. It was the Best one I found at the time.
Old 12-20-16, 10:19 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

My motivation to wrench has dropped significantly considering that these guys can do the job about 3X faster than what I would do it at. I've done valve cover gaskets on other cars and it the task isn't complicated in itself. I tire from all the stuff that has to be removed to gain access. This job is about 2 - 3 hours book time, the $600 is well worth it to me because I know I'll make a near full day - 6 hours as a DIY.

One way to learn and completing the task is rewarding. If you have the tools and time...
6 hours? You da man. I was thinking more like 6 days, a case of beer, broken knuckles and a trip to Toyota for parts I will inevitably destroy in the repair process. Lol
Old 12-22-16, 11:51 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

My motivation to wrench has dropped significantly considering that these guys can do the job about 3X faster than what I would do it at.
Thats what happens when we start getting older. I just had a shop do an easy ball joint on my sons car b/c I didn't want to press it out. But, it was only $150.

Anyway, if you have the shop do your valve covers maybe think about throwing a little more $$ and have the valves adjusted while its open. I wish I adjusted mine when I did my valve cover gaskets (Done in 3 1/2 hours with service manual in hand) cuz that ticking is getting annoying.
Old 12-23-16, 10:22 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

'Adjusting' the valves on a 98+ will be alot more than 'a little more $$' because they are not adjustable. lifter buckets require removal of all 4 cams and ordering of new buckets with the correct shimming after very careful measuring (and fingers crossed it's correct). Nothing like the old days where you loosen a collar and turn a set screw. It's basically a timing belt job x2. That said I'm perfectly happy with my minor tick lol.

Last edited by djamps; 12-23-16 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-23-16, 01:44 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
'Adjusting' the valves on a 98+ will be alot more than 'a little more $$' because they are not adjustable. lifter buckets require removal of all 4 cams and ordering of new buckets with the correct shimming after very careful measuring (and fingers crossed it's correct). Nothing like the old days where you loosen a collar and turn a set screw. It's basically a timing belt job x2. That said I'm perfectly happy with my minor tick lol.

My mistake, I was thinking earlier. Sry.
Old 12-23-16, 02:59 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Before I spent that kind of money, I would at least try to tighten down all the bolts. Mine was leaking and when I went to tighten some were not even finger tight. They loosen as the gasket compresses. You may just be able to stop the leak.....