ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/)
-   -   car died (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/839862-car-died.html)

scrapinls 11-19-16 11:15 PM

car died

I was driving home from work backing into my parking spot and the car died no lights no power nothing stuck there in the middle of the parking lot . popped the hood disconnected the negative and put it back on then I got lights and power again..the car was running real rough and it was idling really low like 300 on the tach.. This just happened its dark out so I just went inside hopped on Google and joined this forum. I need help PLEASE

dicer 11-20-16 12:24 PM

When is the funeral?
So then you left out all the other details. With out them how do we help?
Details.......................
After the battery was reconnected and you got power did you turn the key to try to start it?
And if you did what did it do or not do?
When did it start idling real slow, was it all day long or just before it died?
Is your power steering leaking?
Maybe the alternator is dead and battery is real low on juice.

scrapinls 11-20-16 06:21 PM

after I reconnected the battery is when it started idling really low it wouldn't stay on by itself so I had to give it gas till like 2500 rpm after a while it ran by itself at like 300 and it
​​​was making a squealing noise and running rough with no check engine light, it was raining out and real dark so I said **** this ill deal with it in the morning come out there today started it up it still wouldn't run on this on its own gave it some RPMs like 3 Grand for a minute or two let go of the gas and now it seems the problem has gone away it's running normal again, still no check engine light
​​​​​​​.. no the power steering is not leaking, no the battery is not low on juice has a fairly new red top Optima, and the alternator is good too unless it just took a **** out of nowhere.

brybo86 11-20-16 06:49 PM

Is the air filter dirty?
last tune up? plugs and wires?

RA40 11-20-16 08:10 PM

Year of car? Last maintenance?

scrapinls 11-20-16 11:39 PM

New plugs and wires within the past month.. Don't know bout the air filter

scrapinls 11-21-16 12:05 AM

1996. Within the past month

PureDrifter 11-21-16 03:32 AM

Sorry but we're knowledgeable, not psychics. We will need a lot more information than what you have provided. Please try to be more descriptive about what happened, when it happened, and what you noticed before/during/after.

Breaking up your text into paragraphs using at least somewhat complete sentences will greatly increase the likelihood of someone being willing/able to help you.

Legender 11-21-16 07:37 AM

Squealing, rough idle, raining...
Not it's running OK you say... sounds like maybe something got wet and now that it's dried out, it's running OK.
I see you're in CA... when was the last time it rained?
Alternator is pretty low in the front of the car. Do you have the lower cover on the car?
Any chance you hit some big puddles?

Is it still squealing? That could be the key for this particular issue...

scrapinls 11-21-16 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Legender (Post 9686325)
Squealing, rough idle, raining...
Not it's running OK you say... sounds like maybe something got wet and now that it's dried out, it's running OK.
I see you're in CA... when was the last time it rained?
Alternator is pretty low in the front of the car. Do you have the lower cover on the car?
Any chance you hit some big puddles?

Is it still squealing? That could be the key for this particular issue...

finally somebody that understands me, yes it is squealing real quietly though. I haven't had it die on me since the other day..

I don't know if I have the bottom cover ive only had it for about a week and a half?

will the alternator cause the car to have no power whatsoever?
​​​​​

Banshee365 11-21-16 08:52 PM

If there were a charging problem you would generally have the red battery light on the dash while the engine is running.

dicer 11-22-16 01:50 AM

True unless the light is not working. Bad battery connections can act the same and never show a light.

Legender 11-22-16 06:27 AM

Bad / low battery, in my experience, recently caused the trac light to come on first... then I saw the a very weak battery light.

It seems your problem has only occurred when it's wet outside? If that is the case then the two events could be tied together and give you a path to start working on to resolve your problem.
Only having the car for less than 2 weeks means you're pretty unfamiliar with how it behaves.
I did have an idler pulley seize up on me and cause a low squeal.. that in combination with the water could have caused the belt to slip and not work as expected.
Did you have little or less power steering at the same time? The single belt drives the alternator and power steering pump?
Being a new to you car, have you had it checked out completely to know what maintenance it may need and what other problems it may have?