LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

NEED Recommendations for LS400 Salvage Yards

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 04:41 AM
jhpcat
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEED Recommendations for LS400 Salvage Yards

I just bought the most pristine one owner garage kept 96 LS400. Two weeks later (still not even done the title work) when my truck rolled backward ever so slowly and smashed in the pass door. Whad'ar'ya'gunna'do....So now, need to locate a door with same paint code (4N1, Crystal Quartz Metallic) in nice shape. It is frustrating to me that the salvage industry is so backwards. They could sell a lot more if they used the internet and kept better track of inventory. Anyway, I live in Georgia and the only reason I mention it is because of shipping for a door that size and weight. I need names of yards that have a reasonable stock ot Lexus cars to see it I can dig one up. I just can look at the pass side of the car anymore. Gotta fix it!
Old 10-22-19, 07:01 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jhpcat
I just bought the most pristine one owner garage kept 96 LS400. Two weeks later (still not even done the title work) when my truck rolled backward ever so slowly and smashed in the pass door. Whad'ar'ya'gunna'do....So now, need to locate a door with same paint code (4N1, Crystal Quartz Metallic) in nice shape. It is frustrating to me that the salvage industry is so backwards. They could sell a lot more if they used the internet and kept better track of inventory. Anyway, I live in Georgia and the only reason I mention it is because of shipping for a door that size and weight. I need names of yards that have a reasonable stock ot Lexus cars to see it I can dig one up. I just can look at the pass side of the car anymore. Gotta fix it!
try looking at these: there are two on this list listing as other in the color comment.
https://www.pullapart.com/inventory/...e&LocationID=3
Obviously you will have to be looking at a 95,96,97 model year
Old 10-22-19, 07:48 AM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Just to warn you that finding the door with exact same color code is not enough - you need to actually compare it to your car color because each car's paint ages differently (some were garaged, some sat in the sun all day long...). If you can drive over to the yard and park your car next to the door you intend to buy, that should give you a better idea but even then it will be hard to tell until you actually put the new door in. I've heard some guys know how to adjust the color with an overspray of clear coat, but I know nothing about the process.
Old 10-22-19, 01:35 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

http://www.car-part.com/
Old 10-23-19, 07:13 AM
jhpcat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
This is the absolute best tip I think I've ever been given. Maybe I'm the last guy to know, but still... I couldnt appreciate it any more than I do! Thanks, bradland!! Once call, and they have a perfect door for 125.00 in the correct color. I love it!!
Old 10-23-19, 07:38 AM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jhpcat

my personal advice is buy a different colored door, one in good shape, take it home, have it painted factory match, saves u lots of time
Old 10-23-19, 05:45 PM
jhpcat
Driver School Candidate

Not sure I agree. I dont like stacking paint jobs, plus 13 year old paint will seldom if ever match new. Then you get into blending which makes the paint job unnecessarily larger. I like stock original if I can find it. The factory paint job on a Lexus is always superior to that of just about any shop. So, I can wait if I have to. Its not like the thing doesnt run or the door is busted. Its only got a dent that cant be pulled cleanly without filler and a re-paint. But thanks for the guidance. Im pretty stubborn about stock when I can get it.
Old 10-23-19, 08:03 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

If the dent can be pulled cleanly, why not get a PDR quote first then? Save yourself the trouble of mismatched vins, installing a new door, and paint differences.

I would always rather get dents pulled than replace panels, unless the cost significantly exceeds replacement.
Old 10-24-19, 02:52 AM
jhpcat
Driver School Candidate

Boy how I wish that were the case, however, "it cant be pulled cleanly".