ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/)
-   -   Power Steering failure - UCF20 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/838842-power-steering-failure-ucf20.html)

Drewry929 11-07-16 08:29 AM

Power Steering failure - UCF20

My wife and I have had our LS400 for about a month now, and decided to take it to our first ever autocross event. Well, half way through the second lap, the powering steering went out and I limped back to the paddock. At idle and low speeds, the car groans when turning the wheel. Even turning the wheel, while stopped, just a couple degrees and holding it causes a groan, as if the PS is trying to help.
This marks the third time the PS has gone out, the first two were when I drove it 8 hours home from picking it up. I let it sit for awhile the first two times (over night, and around 2 hours) and it started working again. This time, not so much luck.
Any thoughts on what happened and if the autocross could've caused it? Maybe some air in the system? I checked the fluid level and it looked ok. I plan on doing a flush ASAP, and hopefully that will fix it, but do you guys have any other experience or ideas?

m0ist 11-07-16 12:00 PM

Sounds like there is a leak in your system and you are out of fluid. Get under your car to see if you can spot where the leak is coming from.

billydpowe 11-07-16 12:02 PM

remember do NOT put power steering fluid in it.. dexron III toyota transmission fluid

dicer 11-07-16 03:45 PM

"The power steering went out" Isn't that like saying my car don't want to work no moe, can anyone tell me whats wrong with it?
So what part of the power steering went out? The rack? The pump? The hose over there or the one up there? You where just driving a poof it stopped working?
Maybe the pressure relief spring broke?

Banshee365 11-07-16 08:11 PM

dicer, where is my oil leak? It's leaking oil, I think.

j/k

dicer 11-08-16 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Banshee365 (Post 9673823)
dicer, where is my oil leak? It's leaking oil, I think.

j/k

I need help too my tires start turning when I drive down the street, someone told me that since I don't see them. Whats wrong with them?

Legender 11-08-16 02:05 PM

I would suspect Power steering fluid is being used instead of trans fluid. Had this happen in a 2000 tundra, when the power steering presumably went out... even thought the reservoir was full. Found a container of standard power steering fluid in the cab. Flushed out the fluid and replaced with trans fluid (dexron) and been working fine every since.

dicer 11-08-16 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Legender (Post 9674582)
I would suspect Power steering fluid is being used instead of trans fluid. Had this happen in a 2000 tundra, when the power steering presumably went out... even thought the reservoir was full. Found a container of standard power steering fluid in the cab. Flushed out the fluid and replaced with trans fluid (dexron) and been working fine every since.

Naaaa come on when I say that about using x brand of ATF in the LS transmissions I get a rash. The fluid can't be the problem. <<<<<<---------- yeah just being funny and giving out what I always get.

Kris9884 11-09-16 09:33 AM

Now I'm confused lol, we should be using ATF instead of PS fluid??

Legender 11-09-16 11:12 AM

Manual and cap for power steering fluid reservoir both state ATF... I don't think there is any question there.

My experience with the Tundra shows it does indeed make a difference. YMMV... as always.

bradland 11-09-16 12:43 PM

PS fluid has the wrong viscosity and thermal properties for LS400 steering systems. It may seem odd to us Americans but Toyota engineered these PS components to be happy with ATF.

Kris9884 11-09-16 01:17 PM

I don't own an LS400 yet so I was just wondering.. Crazy

billydpowe 11-09-16 02:24 PM

no,not crazy, brilliant ..

Kris9884 11-09-16 03:25 PM

Good to know!