LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 08:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

60-70mph shimmy is tire/wheel related.

my front end shimmies around 55mph, front tires need a balance.
Old 08-31-08, 09:12 PM
Atl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
60-70mph shimmy is tire/wheel related.

my front end shimmies around 55mph, front tires need a balance.
I'll try that again but Nalley Lexus balanced the tires a week after getting new ones, thought maybe Costco did not do a good job balancing them at install. 4 new Bridgestones and the shimmy's still there. Maybe if I rotate the fronts to the back. It's right in the speed I most drive, have to take it up to 75-80 to make it go away. Annoying.
Old 10-11-08, 06:22 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2 GEN LS strut bar bushing, who can rebushing?

I just changed my strut bar bushing and I don't hear the constant thud anymore.I would like to send the old ones off to have them put new bushings in.Any company out there that does this kind of work so that I can have a spare?
Old 10-11-08, 07:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

the only bushings that can be had are polyurethane.

id be willing to buy the set with busted bushings off of you.....
pm me.
Old 10-12-08, 03:26 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default I know there are many out there.

For $35 each from the junk yard they may go out again and I will definitely need mine for a back up.Whether it is polyurethane or not there is someone out there pressing bushings or cut-out tires into these holes etc...
Just like the alternator,axle,engine and starter rebuilding companys, someone is out there, I just need a bigger flash light to find them.
Old 10-12-08, 12:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

oh, you just want someone to swap the bushings out?

my local NAPA autoparts does mine, just hunt around for a local shop that does it on the sheap, mine charges me ~$5-7/bushing.

poly bushings will effect the ride.
Old 10-12-08, 12:43 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Wait up!Let me get this straight!
Do you mean your local NAPA store will actually change out the bushings on your strut bar?Do they supply the bushings and if not where do I order this online?I am shocked they do that becasue every damn mamma and pappa shop wanna just replace them.
I looked all over until the end of the internet to find a shop that does that.I am about to call them right now.
Old 10-12-08, 12:54 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Update: I never knew stuff like this was going on underneath my nose.I called the NAPA main location in atlanta.The machine shop will be back from vacation tomorrow but they do stuff like that although it depends.
In case you guys want to get these strut bars.....
I got mine from S&W in atlanta.Make sure you ask for DP(phillip etc..)He gave those to me for 35 each and he said he had three cars out there.1800 706 8826
Old 10-12-08, 01:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

you have to supply your own bushings.

Carson toyota (L-tunedparts.com) has armstrong (aka ADUS) bushings for them, made out of polyurethane.
Old 10-12-08, 02:32 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

I am looking on there and I don't see it.Do you have part #s for them.
I have ordered from them a few times.
I found it.Thanks soo much!

Last edited by blkstealthpaid4; 10-12-08 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-12-09, 08:06 PM
margarita
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sixdown
I have the exact same problem, but it stops clunking when my suspension is "warmed up." If I go over bumps for the first half hour after starting the car, it makes the clunking noise, but if I go over a speed bump later on, it suddenly stops occurring...weird.
This describes what I am experiencing exactly. I noticed the soft clunk sound goes away after I've driven for awhile. What could cause the sound to go away after the car has been driven for a time?

Other threads say to look at the strut bar bushings, or maybe replace the strut bars altogether, and they also say to look at the ball joints. Another poster said his mechanic got rid of the clunking by tightening bolts on the sub frame (didn't cost a thing). Wherever the subframe is.

Other: I have self-diagnosed (based on info on this forum) that I probably need new transmission mounts as well. Would that cause any clunking? The motor mounts were checked about a year ago and were good.

The best way I can describe it is if you have a body joint that is missing the cushioning cartridge...that is what the clunk sounds like. It's not a metal tearing sound. But a soft/suppressed clunk.

I'm trying to gather as much info as I can to keep from being at the mercy of the shop.

Last edited by margarita; 03-12-09 at 08:09 PM. Reason: to clarify a statement
Old 03-12-09, 08:08 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

ball joints.
Old 03-14-09, 01:38 PM
bighairjer
Driver School Candidate

Default Strut Bars!!

Hello Lexus brothers!

I recently purchased an awesome grey/grey LS400 from a dealership in Sac. CA, and I have to say it is the best car I have ever driven or rode in. This car is phenomenal on all levels. It has 97K, but is immaculate. Anyway, before I purchased it I had the Lexus dealership do an inspection. I had them do a timing belt service and check out the clunk I heard when going over bumps. They recommend and replaced the lower ball joint, but guess what.. that didnt solve the problem!

After researching this phenomonal board it led me to the strut bars, and sure enough upon inspection they were thrashed. So I picked up a couple of bars from Lexus and installed them myself with instruction from this board. No more clunk!!

So, a big shout out to this board!

The job is pretty straight forward, and I would recommend to anybody doing it to have 6 pt. sockets and a long breaker bar.

Thanks again!!!
Old 03-14-09, 04:15 PM
bighairjer
Driver School Candidate

Changed the strut rods on my 96 LS. Lexus didnt say they were bad when I had them inspect the vehicle prior to my purchase. They replaced the lower ball joints but the clunk persisted. Inspected my strut bar bushings and they were shot. Replaced them myself, its an easy job. No more clunk!
Old 03-14-09, 08:51 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad your clunk is gone and congrats for doing it yourself. I am thinking of replacing mine since I have 236k miles now (even though no clunk).

Quick Reply: Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)