LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 12:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonm
Actually...I think it's coming back to me. I think if I unbolt the ball joint on the UCA it will drop it down low enough to back those bolts out right???
....no....?
Old 01-25-10, 12:04 PM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone point me the way to my subframe bolts on my 2000 LS? I just replaced the lower ball joints, which did noticeably tighten up my front end, but I still have the "thunk" over speed bumps.
Old 01-25-10, 04:30 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by McSwine
Can someone point me the way to my subframe bolts on my 2000 LS? I just replaced the lower ball joints, which did noticeably tighten up my front end, but I still have the "thunk" over speed bumps.
To tell you the truth, you have gotten a lot of answers here along the lines of "It is definitely the (insert favorite part here)."

But the fact of the matter is, we don't really know what parts on your car may be worn. I was reading this thread back to March 2008 or something, and two people mentioned that the car clunks when cold then goes away, and some replies were along the lines of "spray your bushings with silicone".
Well, strangely enough, there are shock absorbers that bleed down at night, and you hear the internal valving clunking against the pistons until they charge back up from motion. Could be anything, the important thing is to get in there and check your car since it is your car that is making the noise.

So the lower ball joints were not the magic cure-all? Well, at least you have reset your "wear clock" to 0 on them. I had upper control arm bushings clunk on sharp bumps on my old '90 LS400. You could test by prying the arm forward and backwards. It clunked at the forward bushing.
Colin
Old 01-25-10, 06:19 PM
McSwine
Driver

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
To tell you the truth, you have gotten a lot of answers here along the lines of "It is definitely the (insert favorite part here)."

But the fact of the matter is, we don't really know what parts on your car may be worn. I was reading this thread back to March 2008 or something, and two people mentioned that the car clunks when cold then goes away, and some replies were along the lines of "spray your bushings with silicone".
Well, strangely enough, there are shock absorbers that bleed down at night, and you hear the internal valving clunking against the pistons until they charge back up from motion. Could be anything, the important thing is to get in there and check your car since it is your car that is making the noise.

So the lower ball joints were not the magic cure-all? Well, at least you have reset your "wear clock" to 0 on them. I had upper control arm bushings clunk on sharp bumps on my old '90 LS400. You could test by prying the arm forward and backwards. It clunked at the forward bushing.
Colin
Good suggestion, but I would still like to know where the subframe bolts are because a dude with a '99 fixed his problem by tightening these bolts.
Old 01-25-10, 09:33 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by McSwine
a dude with a '99 fixed his problem by tightening these bolts.
Look under the car where the control arms and strut bars attach. Subframe is black steel assembly holding engine and suspension parts. Now look at the frame of the car, it will be the same color as the car was originally. Along the frame look for holes in the subframe and there will be bolts sticking up from the black to the painted parts. I could not find any reference to subframe removal in my manual, so I am vague once again.
Old 01-25-10, 09:49 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My front driver side is making this type of noise , does not look like the shock is leaking , its only the driver side front. It is quite annoying because the rest of the car id so quiet. Its hard to pin point where the noise is coming from. 2004 LS430 sport suspension 87,000 mi.
Old 01-25-10, 11:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by snakehead
My front driver side is making this type of noise , does not look like the shock is leaking , its only the driver side front. It is quite annoying because the rest of the car id so quiet. Its hard to pin point where the noise is coming from. 2004 LS430 sport suspension 87,000 mi.
the LS430 forum is probably where you'd want to look first...
Old 01-26-10, 05:58 AM
McSwine
Driver

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
Look under the car where the control arms and strut bars attach. Subframe is black steel assembly holding engine and suspension parts. Now look at the frame of the car, it will be the same color as the car was originally. Along the frame look for holes in the subframe and there will be bolts sticking up from the black to the painted parts. I could not find any reference to subframe removal in my manual, so I am vague once again.
Thanks. Now I've got to find a gorilla and a 10' cheater bar.
Old 01-26-10, 08:47 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine had similar noise. It was the lower ball joints. Picked some up on ebay. Genuine lexus parts for 50 a piece. It was easy to tell if it is the ball joints. Just jack up the car and use a pry bar to see if the ball joint is loose.
Old 01-28-10, 05:52 PM
justincook
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth I put the poly bushings on my 96 and now I have lots of groaning and popping sounds. Maybe I did something wrong to cause the noise... but if I did it over again I would buy the factory strut rods.
Old 02-12-10, 11:27 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Steering shaft 1999 LS400

Originally Posted by vfr
I've had the same issue with clunking at low speeds on rough surfaces on my 2000 LS400 (138,000 km). The dealer tells me it's the intermediate steering shaft. Too expensive to have fixed since it's not a safety issue. Anyone think it might be the shock mounts?
I had clunking noise on my 1999 LS400 couple years ago, bought new strut rods, replaced them and it fixed the problem for a while. Other suspension parts were getting worn as well and I feel some play in the steering wheel(looks like the same problem vfr described). I went on and changed Lower Ball Joints and Outer Tie Rods, steering got a little tighter, but that play in the steering is still there. It is especially felt when going over rough surface like gravel or potholes.
Today, i tried tracing where the problem might be. In the picture you see the shaft with U-joint. This pictured u-joint is fine(no play), but when I grab this u-joint and twist it, there is quite a bit of play. Now, is this the intermediate shaft (like vfr said). If that`s it, the part is around $180 plus shipping. Has anyone changed it? Where do I start?
Any advice is appreciated, as always. This forum has been a great help, I am very glad I joined it a few years ago and learned a lot about my car.
Val
Attached Thumbnails Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)-cimg0200.jpg  
Old 02-12-10, 11:33 PM
valex
Advanced

Just wondering if it normal for the strut rod bushings to be stretched like this when the car is on stands? They are kind of twisted as you see, not parallel to the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)-cimg0198.jpg   Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)-cimg0199.jpg  
Old 02-12-10, 11:45 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

sliding yoke sub assembly

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/dwg_zoom.asp?id=2370

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/***...l=209&year=160

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...l.asp?id=18931
Old 02-12-10, 11:46 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

looks worn to me but not sure

When you try and twist it with your hand how does it feel?
Old 02-13-10, 12:12 AM
valex
Advanced

When I put the car on the ground, those bushings weren`t stretched that bad, maybe they do that when you jack the car up.

Val

Quick Reply: Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)