LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Going Rate for 2nd Gen LS400's???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-03, 02:56 PM
BrianV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going Rate for 2nd Gen LS400's???

I'm somewhat having sport-car withdrawl right now, and am contemplating possibly selling my LS400 (which I'm sure I'll regret). I was curious what you guys think I could get for my car:

95 LS400, 103K miles, Jade Black with grey interior (awesome combo).

I have all service records (from Lexus), hte car runs smooth and quiet, tranny is crisp, feels like it has 40K on it. It's surprisingly quick. All components work, AC works well, brakes have 50% left on pads, tires have 50% tread left.

The front sway bar bushings are all that is bad (I had a mechanic diagnose it). It's never noticable except when going over speedbumps or potholes too fast. It's an easy and relatively cheap fix, I plan on having it done next time I take it in. The timing belt was inspected and is in good condition, I don't have service records of it being done before, but the previous owner seemed to follow the Lexus guidelines and I think it has been done. Oil has been changed every 3k, filters and fluids are all good. It's due for some new spark plugs and wires soon, but that's about it.

The paint is in great shape for a 95, it has one dent on the passenger side rear door, but it's hardly noticable. It has chrome rims and the gold package. Pics can be seen on the link in my signature.

What do you think I could get for this car, what's the best way to sell it (ebay, local area, forums, etc.)?

Thanks!!

PS - Most likely I will end up keeping it because it's a great car that has cost me hardly anything to keep running and everyone I run into thinks the car is worth at least $40k. Everyone thinks it's a late model, and even my boss said damn you must've made a lot more money at your last job.

Anyways, I'd be willing to trade if someone is looking to get rid of a smaller, sportier car, for a nice larger car.
Old 05-16-03, 02:59 PM
BrianV
Driver

I forgot one thing, the hood struts are also going bad, but since I never pop the hood on this car I've lived without getting it fixed (I actually got the car this way), but I just got a decent hookup on Lexus parts so I'm sure it'll be getting fixed too. The driver side seatbelt died as well but I just replaced it with a new Lexus one.
Old 05-16-03, 03:57 PM
Lvangundy

If you're looking to find the estimated retail or private party value you can try ;

www.kbb.com

www.edmunds.com

Nice car..I'd like a second gen LS, but someday I'll go 3rd gen OR a nice GS400
Old 05-16-03, 04:21 PM
BrianV
Driver

I used to swear by edmunds or kbb but the last year or two I've found their prices to be considerably off so I don't even both looking at it. For instance you can't get a Supra for even $10k over what they list, and you can't sell a Mitsubishi Galant for anything near what they say you can.
Old 05-16-03, 04:26 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Engine: V8 4.0 Liter
Trans: 4-Spd Auto Overdrive
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
Mileage: 103,000

Equipment
Auto Climate Control
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Telescoping Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
CD Auto-Changer
Dual Front Air Bags
Anti-Lock Braking
Leather
Dual Power Seats
Moon Roof
Chrome Wheels

No Traction Control
No Heated Seats
No Nakamichie
No Integrated Phone
No Air Ride Suspension

Consumer Rated Condition: Good
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. The paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. In states where rust is a problem, this should be very minimal, and a deduction should be made to correct it. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A clean title history. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail; however major reconditioning should be deducted from the value. Most recent model cars owned by consumers fall into this category.

Private Party Value $10,625 for Zip Code 73301

Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.
Old 05-16-03, 06:40 PM
BrianV
Driver

Originally posted by SharpLS-96
Engine: V8 4.0 Liter
Trans: 4-Spd Auto Overdrive
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
Mileage: 103,000

Equipment
Auto Climate Control
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Telescoping Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
CD Auto-Changer
Dual Front Air Bags
Anti-Lock Braking
Leather
Dual Power Seats
Moon Roof
Chrome Wheels

No Traction Control
No Heated Seats
No Nakamichie
No Integrated Phone
No Air Ride Suspension

Consumer Rated Condition: Good
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. The paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. In states where rust is a problem, this should be very minimal, and a deduction should be made to correct it. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A clean title history. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail; however major reconditioning should be deducted from the value. Most recent model cars owned by consumers fall into this category.

Private Party Value $10,625 for Zip Code 73301

Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.
Ouch considering I got the car in January it's a lot lower

It appears cars on autotrader are being listed for SUBSTANTIALLY more.
Old 05-16-03, 06:42 PM
BrianV
Driver

1995 Lexus LS 400 4 Dr STD Sedan
Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail
National Base Price $10,494 $11,905 $14,256
Optional Equipment $555 $632 $843
Power Moonroof $179 $204 $272
Compact Disc Changer $179 $204 $272
Chrome Wheels $197 $224 $299
Color Adjustment
Black $29 $33 $40
Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code 78728 $-179 $-203 $-243
Mileage Adjustment
103,000 miles $-309 $-309 $-309
Condition Adjustment
Clean $0 $0 $0
Total $10,590 $12,058 $14,587

That's what Edmunds says, $10590 for trade, $12,058 for private and 14587 for dealer. At that price I'd have to keep it. I'd be willing to sell it for like $13k which I feel is fair. The one's on autotrader are listed from 14-17k.
Old 05-16-03, 08:33 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Default NADA may be the better site

Hi Brian:

Here is what NADA listed your car for:

http://nadaguides.com/Values/ValueCa...=1995&ColorId=

If the link doesn't work, here is the scoop:

Retail
Low: $13,6
Ave: $15,8
High: $17,1

NADA deducted $600 for high mileage, otherwise considers you right around the $15K-ish range.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-03, 08:04 AM
BrianV
Driver

This just proves how off these estimates are. Nada, Edmunds, and KBB are all thousands of dollars apart from each other.
Old 05-17-03, 08:43 AM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by BrianV
This just proves how off these estimates are. Nada, Edmunds, and KBB are all thousands of dollars apart from each other.
I just use the lowest price ones when i'm shopping for a car and i quote the highest price ones when i'm selling a car hehe
Old 05-17-03, 12:59 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Low to mid 15k sounds about right for your car .. I was looking at a 96 LS400 94k miles on it gold package for 17,900 from a dealer.
Old 05-17-03, 08:37 PM
BrianV
Driver

I'd sell it for 14, and maybe buy a clean 90-91 LS or SC and then buy some sports car (300ZX TT) or something. That for me would be the best of both worlds.

Hey Malik, good to see you here.
Old 05-17-03, 11:22 PM
Sanjman
Driver School Candidate

Wow..... You're gonna feel like crap going from 2nd gen to 1st gen.... and then also be able to find a 300ZX (i hope you are looking for the turbo version) for the difference of the values: I doubt it.

trade it in for a GS300 or SC300 stick
then drop a turbo
Old 05-18-03, 08:35 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful with the sports car withdrawal.. I sold my '95 Cadillac ETC (see it at www.80sxchange.com/caddy.htm) and bought my Vette (see it at http://www.80sxchange.com/myvette/4sale.html) and I regret it. While I absolutely love the way it handles - and the ridiculous amount of power off the line, I miss the soft, plush, smooth ride of my Eldorado... There's nothing like luxury. I think you'll get tired of any car with a harsh ride REALLY quick.

It's interesting going 80mph up and down ramps once in awhile. But, the novelty wears off quickly. And how often do I get to really go fast? I've been to 130 once. There's nowhere to go fast. If I do, I risk losing the car to the police...

Just think twice before you get rid of your LS. Especially if you're not going to get all that much for it. Or, I'll trade ya for my Vette.

Last edited by Sal Collaziano; 05-18-03 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-18-03, 09:51 AM
BrianV
Driver

Vette looks sweet, but I'd need either a later C4 or a C5.

Quick Reply: Going Rate for 2nd Gen LS400's???