LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HELP car is making a nonstop beeping noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-22, 01:49 PM
yukinon
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HELP car is making a nonstop beeping noise

1999 LS400
Okay I feel like i've made a bunch of posts about my car but I just got my ECU back for the second time from Relentless motorsports, it did this before and he told me he put the wrong caps in them and I sent it back. He got me a new ECU and went over that one and sent it out to me and it's still doing the same thing. I told him about it and he basically said I have other issues because it's a completely different ECU. Car won't start at all, none of the main lights illuminate on the cluster (they did work before I got my ECU rebuilt) only thing that happens when I try and start it is the climate control lights turn off and on. Has anyone ever experienced this before? My car started fine before and this has never happened, I'm just lost on what it could be. The car never made this noise before, so I'm not sure what's happening I'm gonna check the fuses, maybe that could be a possibility? It just sucks because I've been waiting for almost two months and I've made zero progress with figuring out what's wrong with my car. Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Old 12-31-22, 05:26 PM
fondu
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by yukinon
https://youtube.com/shorts/llL8_J7mzhg?feature=share
1999 LS400
Okay I feel like i've made a bunch of posts about my car but I just got my ECU back for the second time from Relentless motorsports, it did this before and he told me he put the wrong caps in them and I sent it back. He got me a new ECU and went over that one and sent it out to me and it's still doing the same thing. I told him about it and he basically said I have other issues because it's a completely different ECU. Car won't start at all, none of the main lights illuminate on the cluster (they did work before I got my ECU rebuilt) only thing that happens when I try and start it is the climate control lights turn off and on. Has anyone ever experienced this before? My car started fine before and this has never happened, I'm just lost on what it could be. The car never made this noise before, so I'm not sure what's happening I'm gonna check the fuses, maybe that could be a possibility? It just sucks because I've been waiting for almost two months and I've made zero progress with figuring out what's wrong with my car. Any help is appreciated, thank you!
That's unfortunate, your issues seem to be adding up. I would start with a different and known working ECU. It's hard to play the diagnosis game over the internet. Also, IIRC your model year isn't known for having ECU capacitor issues, what prompted you to send it off for repair??

If the car has been sitting for 2 months then the battery could be too low to start it. If you haven't already you should check every single fuse in the fusebox in the engine compartment. Simple stuff first.

Last edited by fondu; 12-31-22 at 05:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
yukinon (01-01-23)
Old 12-31-22, 07:13 PM
yukinon
Rookie

Originally Posted by fondu
That's unfortunate, your issues seem to be adding up. I would start with a different and known working ECU. It's hard to play the diagnosis game over the internet. Also, IIRC your model year isn't known for having ECU capacitor issues, what prompted you to send it off for repair??

If the car has been sitting for 2 months then the battery could be too low to start it. If you haven't already you should check every single fuse in the fusebox in the engine compartment. Simple stuff first.
I was in a panicked state and just assumed it was the ECU, the car was fine before I replaced the battery, after I replaced it the car just fell on its face and was having issues, which was weird to me because the car didn't have no issues at all before I replaced the battery. I took the battery out and had it sitting in my house, so the battery shouldn't be too old. I'm gonna check the fuses tomo morning hopefully.
Old 12-31-22, 08:34 PM
fondu
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I was in a panicked state and just assumed it was the ECU, the car was fine before I replaced the battery, after I replaced it the car just fell on its face and was having issues, which was weird to me because the car didn't have no issues at all before I replaced the battery. I took the battery out and had it sitting in my house, so the battery shouldn't be too old. I'm gonna check the fuses tomo morning hopefully.
Well if the problems only started after the battery replacement you should also have the battery tested at an auto parts store. It is possible to get a bad one off the shelf.
Old 01-01-23, 07:36 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by fondu
Well if the problems only started after the battery replacement you should also have the battery tested at an auto parts store. It is possible to get a bad one off the shelf.
I've seen bad (new) batteries a few times.
That beeping sounds like it might be related to the security system.
Just a thought here but if the second one he sent you was not your original ECU, doesn't it have to be reflashed or something to reset the immobilizer? (on the 98-00)

I feel your pain about waiting so long and having no progress.
The following users liked this post:
yukinon (01-01-23)
Old 01-01-23, 08:26 AM
yukinon
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
I've seen bad (new) batteries a few times.
That beeping sounds like it might be related to the security system.
Just a thought here but if the second one he sent you was not your original ECU, doesn't it have to be reflashed or something to reset the immobilizer? (on the 98-00)

I feel your pain about waiting so long and having no progress.
yeah that’s what i was thinking maybe, the original ecu i had him rebuild, i think he removed the immobilizer, but i guess he put the wrong caps in apparently. so he told me to resend it back and then almost two weeks later he tells me he got me a new one because my old one got overloaded or something because he put the wrong stuff in it.

im not sure if he removed the immobilizer on this one, he isn’t very good talking to over text unfortunately. is there a way to reflash or reset my immobilizer?

yeah it just sucks, i’ve heard good things about him but i’ve just had the worst of luck with him. he’s never seen this issue before so even he doesn’t know what’s wrong, which is weird because my car never did this before i sent out my ecu to get “fixed”. i thought he could’ve helped possibly figure out what’s happening but he just said i have other issues because it’s a totally different ecu.
Old 01-02-23, 06:35 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

yeah that’s what i was thinking maybe, the original ecu i had him rebuild, i think he removed the immobilizer, but i guess he put the wrong caps in apparently. so he told me to resend it back and then almost two weeks later he tells me he got me a new one because my old one got overloaded or something because he put the wrong stuff in it.

im not sure if he removed the immobilizer on this one, he isn’t very good talking to over text unfortunately. is there a way to reflash or reset my immobilizer?

yeah it just sucks, i’ve heard good things about him but i’ve just had the worst of luck with him. he’s never seen this issue before so even he doesn’t know what’s wrong, which is weird because my car never did this before i sent out my ecu to get “fixed”. i thought he could’ve helped possibly figure out what’s happening but he just said i have other issues because it’s a totally different ecu.
I think the dealer needs to reflash the ECU for the immobilizer, or something with the chip in the key. (I have a 93 so I never had to deal with an immobilizer)
Anyone can have the best reviews and never had any mix-ups but there's gonna be that one time where something goes wrong. That's life. (sorry)
You may have other issues with your car but that wouldn't effect this now cuz your car was OK before you sent him the first ECU.
I think you should call the dealer and maybe tell the service manager the story (if he has the time) and see what he says about the immobilizer.

Did the guy send you back your original first ECU? (Even though it's no good now.)

Old 01-02-23, 10:19 AM
yukinon
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
I think the dealer needs to reflash the ECU for the immobilizer, or something with the chip in the key. (I have a 93 so I never had to deal with an immobilizer)
Anyone can have the best reviews and never had any mix-ups but there's gonna be that one time where something goes wrong. That's life. (sorry)
You may have other issues with your car but that wouldn't effect this now cuz your car was OK before you sent him the first ECU.
I think you should call the dealer and maybe tell the service manager the story (if he has the time) and see what he says about the immobilizer.

Did the guy send you back your original first ECU? (Even though it's no good now.)
yeah it sucks i was the person to have a bad experience lol, but it happens!
ahhh okay i'll give them a call soon, we are having a snow storm soon so i'll probably have to wait until it clears up.
and no he never sent the original back to me, I thought he was just gonna send both of them. good thing I got a new car over this whole situation, it's rough having to ask for rides to my job everyday...
Old 01-25-23, 04:04 PM
yukinon
Rookie

Default Update

still no luck yet, i checked all the fuses and none of them were blown. not sure how to properly check the fuses with the clear box on top 40a, 50a, etc. i saw a video on how to and none of them showed signs of being blown. i think my best bet is just take it to toyota and see if they can mate the ecu to my car

immobilizer was removed from the new ecu i got from him, so hopefully that won’t cause any issues once i get the car towed to them. luckily i did get a new car in this painful journey of figuring out what’s wrong with the car, so i’m not in a huge rush anymore. this will be the project car now