LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Degraded Air Shock Cushions Causing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 09:10 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Degraded Air Shock Cushions Causing Noise

Front air shocks and I was told that the clunking I am hearing is not from the suspension but from the worn rubber cushion of the air shocks. The noise is really bothersome. Every time I hit a bump or go over a rough patch of road, I hear that clunk or chatter sound. The air shocks themselves are fine; just that the cushions are worn out. Obviously, replacing the shocks would be cost prohibitive. Is there any othe 'fix' that can be done? That dome shaped cap is not loose or anything. Can't see that there is anything to 'tighten'.
Old 10-04-13, 03:57 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is almost certainly not the air shocks. I would look very closely at the upper and lower ball joints and controll arm bushings. That is the most common clunk problem. Next would be the strut bar bushings.
Old 10-04-13, 04:20 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I just removed my air shocks and dont recall any rubber cushion on it. But hey, I could be wrong. I just pulled them out and threw them in the box. I would check the suspension again. Although the bushings look good, sometimes they're not. Inspest everything very close.
Old 10-04-13, 10:26 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

the bushings are the main culprits of suspension knock. check your strut rod bushing, a very common failure point. how does your car handle? any vibrations at speed?
Old 10-05-13, 04:58 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by deanshark
I just removed my air shocks and dont recall any rubber cushion on it. But hey, I could be wrong. I just pulled them out and threw them in the box. I would check the suspension again. Although the bushings look good, sometimes they're not. Inspest everything very close.
That's interesting that you didn't see any cushions. He said the noise is coming from the top, not the bottom. The theory was, if it were bushings in the front suspension making the noise, it would sound more muffled than it does. But to my mind the sound is kind of muffled. I still thought he might be right, because I noticed if I keep the suspension on 'normal' there is less clunking. But when I put the suspension on 'high' (when the air shocks would be more extended) I hear more clunking. MIght be my imagination, so I will test that out and listen more carefully over the next few days.

After reading these posts, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to call the manufacturer of the air shocks to ask. These are not the original air shocks. They will know whether there is any cushion.

Thanks to everyone for the info.
Old 10-05-13, 05:02 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
the bushings are the main culprits of suspension knock. check your strut rod bushing, a very common failure point. how does your car handle? any vibrations at speed?
No, no vibrations at any speed, though I have been told (several years ago) that the front suspension was 'worn'. It was going to be expensive to have then redo the whole front (around a grand, as I recall) so I passed. I was told it was not an emergency situation. The clunking has been there for several years (embarrassing to admit that), but I just have not been willing to deal with it, until now. Does a grand sound about right to redo all the front? I am not a DIY, so it will go to an indie shop for the work, most likely. Dealerships are out due to pricing.
Old 10-05-13, 05:03 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
Is it necessary to replace ALL the suspension parts at once. I have read that if you do just 'part' of the front suspension, that due to the interconectedness, that that may cause problems. What about just replacing the ball joints as a starting point?

Last edited by PlotPoint; 10-05-13 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-05-13, 05:07 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by j2b4o
It is almost certainly not the air shocks. I would look very closely at the upper and lower ball joints and controll arm bushings. That is the most common clunk problem. Next would be the strut bar bushings.
OK. I want to be certain what is causing the noise before I start replacing the suspension. I am going to talk to the air shock manufacturer and will have a better idea after that whether it's the suspension or the shocks. From what i am reading here, it's prob not the shocks. Great info and tx.
Old 10-05-13, 07:39 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PlotPoint

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to call the manufacturer of the air shocks to ask. These are not the original air shocks. They will know whether there is any cushion.

Thanks to everyone for the info.
You didn't say the shocks weren't original. If it's not the stock air suspension then I'm pretty sure you have a regular shock mount on the top, which the rubber inside will deteriorate.

Going by what you said I would guess you had stock air shocks at one point b/c you mention the "dome shaped cap". Take that cap off and see what kind of mount it has and if it's shot.
I just read that you're not a DIYer so finding any noises would be hard for you, not knowing exactly what to look for. A grand doesn't sound like much at all if they're going to do everything on the front end. Sorry to say it but you can spend that much in parts alone.
Old 10-06-13, 02:43 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

You didn't say the shocks weren't original. If it's not the stock air suspension then I'm pretty sure you have a regular shock mount on the top, which the rubber inside will deteriorate.

Going by what you said I would guess you had stock air shocks at one point b/c you mention the "dome shaped cap". Take that cap off and see what kind of mount it has and if it's shot.
I just read that you're not a DIYer so finding any noises would be hard for you, not knowing exactly what to look for. A grand doesn't sound like much at all if they're going to do everything on the front end. Sorry to say it but you can spend that much in parts alone.
It was a reman air shock (using original air shock cores), done by a very reputable shop. I see the domes,, so it looks the same to me as the originals. I'll know soon enough whether there's any cushion in there.

Tx. for info on pricing on replacing all on hte front suspension (ball joints, control arms, bushings, the works). I misspoke. Several years ago I think I was quoted 2 grand. The latest shop said they could do it all for a little over $1K. Maybe they are passing on some of the wholesale parts pricing to me since I am a good customer. Still not cheap!. If I thought it would get rid of the clunks I just might go for it.
Old 10-07-13, 09:29 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

You should get a second opinion. I'm willing to bet the clunk is not ball joints or control arms. I don't believe air shocks have mounts like regular shocks do. It is probably strut rod (bar) bushings, which you can buy from Lexus and have them pressed in on both side for a few hundred dollars. By far, this is the most common problem with cluncks on rough road. I had this issue on my 99 ls400 and it was the rod bushings.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 10-07-13 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-12-13, 02:26 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
You should get a second opinion. I'm willing to bet the clunk is not ball joints or control arms. I don't believe air shocks have mounts like regular shocks do. It is probably strut rod (bar) bushings, which you can buy from Lexus and have them pressed in on both side for a few hundred dollars. By far, this is the most common problem with cluncks on rough road. I had this issue on my 99 ls400 and it was the rod bushings.
I called the shop who sold me the remanned air shocks. They said there is a 'mount' with rubber that could wear out, and also that air shocks can have breakage or whatever internally that can make rattling clunking noise. But they also said I could in fact replace just the mount portion, but when I called Lexus parts they said no, they don't sell that part separately.

The mechanic who said he thought the noise was coming from a degraded rubber cushion on the air shock was going by an 'ear test' and made his decision based on the location of the noise. I'll post back once I have more info or a better diagnosis. Nothing having to do with air shocks is inexpensive, that much I know....

Appreciate your suggestion re starting with sway bar bushings for not too much. And separate from the air shock question, If anyone knows...how crititcal is it to replace 'worn' front suspension? I was a given a great quote --around a grand to replace everything. I was told the front suspension was 'worn'. I mean, what would that effect other than the feel of the ride? If I keep the car for another five years, I could see putting that kind of money in to a repair. If it's necessary, I will do it. Since I am not a DIY, saving money that way is out...

Last edited by PlotPoint; 10-12-13 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 02:59 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PlotPoint
I called the shop who sold me the remanned air shocks. They said there is a 'mount' with rubber that could wear out, and also that air shocks can have breakage or whatever internally that can make rattling clunking noise. But they also said I could in fact replace just the mount portion, but when I called Lexus parts they said no, they don't sell that part separately.

The mechanic who said he thought the noise was coming from a degraded rubber cushion on the air shock was going by an 'ear test' and made his decision based on the location of the noise. I'll post back once I have more info or a better diagnosis. Nothing having to do with air shocks is inexpensive, that much I know....

Appreciate your suggestion re starting with sway bar bushings for not too much. And separate from the air shock question, If anyone knows...how crititcal is it to replace 'worn' front suspension? I was a given a great quote --around a grand to replace everything. I was told the front suspension was 'worn'. I mean, what would that effect other than the feel of the ride? If I keep the car for another five years, I could see putting that kind of money in to a repair. If it's necessary, I will do it. Since I am not a DIY, saving money that way is out...
There is deffinately NO shock mount on the stock air shocks, which is what you have if it's a remanufactured shock. Today I had my old ones in my hands and NO (rubber) shock mount on them. (Front or back) As for you front suspension, there are alot of parts to change. I doubt a grand would even come close for changing EVERYTHING. You better get it in writing for what he's gonna change and exactly what it's gonna cost. Heck, UCAs are about 300 a piece, plus lower ball joints, inner and outer tierods, stut bar bushings, ect. And then, you got the labar charge. Oh my God, the labor charge. "Get a written quote."
Old 10-19-13, 12:58 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

There is deffinately NO shock mount on the stock air shocks, which is what you have if it's a remanufactured shock. Today I had my old ones in my hands and NO (rubber) shock mount on them. (Front or back) As for you front suspension, there are alot of parts to change. I doubt a grand would even come close for changing EVERYTHING. You better get it in writing for what he's gonna change and exactly what it's gonna cost. Heck, UCAs are about 300 a piece, plus lower ball joints, inner and outer tierods, stut bar bushings, ect. And then, you got the labar charge. Oh my God, the labor charge. "Get a written quote."

Thanks. Since you were holding them in your hand...I will take your word for it. I have a graphic of the part (air shock) but dont't seem to be able to get it to post here. I remember the mechanic pointing to the dome cap and said there was a rubber cushion underneath that he guessed had degraded. I think that is the 'cushion' he was referring to, but I am not positive. So that would be more external than something internal to the shock itself (?).

And the more I listen for the noise, yes, it does seem to be coming from that area closer to the hood on one side only. It's louder when I have the suspension set on 'high'. Much more muted if the suspension is set on 'normal'.

The separate issue ... the front suspension replacement...yes, I will definitely need to drill down as to what exactly they propose to replace as well as get a breakdown of parts costs and labor costs. I think he said he would replace only the lower control arms, whatever ones he said take a greater beating and wear out first. So replacement of 'most' of the front suspension might be more accurate.

Once I get any of this decided, more accurately diagnosed, I will report back here.
Old 10-19-13, 04:19 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

More info: Quoted $858 for a new air shock. AND, I got a different answer this time when I asked if there were any rubber part that could have degraded, and/or be replaced, etc.. Yes, there is a 'support cushion' that is directly underneath the dome caps that you see when you look under the hood. I don't know if that is considered part of the air shock itself, but the dome cap would have to be removed to replace it. And yes, I can buy just that part for $30. What they could not tell me is whether that piece is rubber or metal. The guy said he thought it was metal since it did not specify anything else. The only way to know would be to order it (it's returnable).

I am not doing anything until further diagnosis and I know for sure that that is the part that is making the clunking noise. At least I now know I can actually buy it, if need be.

Quick Reply: Degraded Air Shock Cushions Causing Noise