LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My 1st LS400 (1991)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 07:20 AM
KWChuck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1st LS400 (1991)

1991 LS, 201,000 kilometers, no rust, two dents one small, one bigger on trunk, dark green, blonde interior. All electric works A/C included, drivers side speaker out (foam), power seats/heat/memory all good. Climate control blackened, but still works. Tools in trunk perfect condition, owners manual with extra keys, spare untouched full of air. Sunroof opens fine, slight pause on closing, re-engaging button closes all the way. CD changer works fine. Auto gas/trunk good. Clean under body.

Interior almost perfect, a few cracks on driver's seat leather.

Ride is solid and quiet with a slight dash squeak left front. Rear bushings squeak, could use a replacement. Front left slight knuckle metal noise on left turns and only on bumps, good on straightaways. On cold start, slight pop noise, but starts perfect and very fast after warmed up. Motor slight tick, makes me nervous, but supposedly normal. Tranny, bit of a whine at highway speeds, but no hard, or awkward shifts. Alignment perfect, excellent with brakes on too.

Passed etest and safety easily, no additional cost. $1,500 CDN. $155 for safety, $60 for appraisal for temp sticker. Under 2K, on the road, drives like a champ...I'm not complaining. Thank-you Japan!

Last edited by KWChuck; 09-05-16 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-05-16, 10:51 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by KWChuck
1991 LS, 201,000 kilometers, no rust, two dents one small, one bigger on trunk, dark green, blonde interior. All electric works A/C included, drivers side speaker out (foam), power seats/heat/memory all good. Climate control blackened, but still works. Tools in trunk perfect condition, owners manual with extra keys, spare untouched full of air. Sunroof opens fine, slight pause on closing, re-engaging button closes all the way. CD changer works fine. Auto gas/trunk good. Clean under body.

Ride is solid and quiet with a slight dash squeak left front. Rear bushings squeak, could use a replacement. Front left slight knuckle metal noise on left turns and only on bumps, good on straightaways. On cold start, slight pop noise, but starts perfect and very fast after warmed up. Motor slight tick, makes me nervous, but supposedly normal. Tranny, bit of a whine at highway speeds, but no hard, or awkward shifts. Alignment perfect, excellent with brakes on too.

Passed etest and safety easily, no additional cost. $1,500 CDN. $155 for safety, $60 for appraisal for temp sticker. Under 2K, on the road, drives like a champ...I'm not complaining. Thank-you Japan!
Check for broken transmission mount.
Old 09-05-16, 02:21 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Moon roof pause is normal stuff. Stops at about the last 8 to 6 inches then retouch the switch to close it. They all do it. I think I saw it or one like it forsale awhile back.
Looked in good shape.
Old 09-05-16, 09:07 PM
KWChuck
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jaaa, I will check the mount.Looks like it wouldn't take an indie garage long to do, judging by the youtube vids.

Good to know Dicer, was right about the 6-8 inch mark too, but closes fine with one more touch. A real tank of a car, reminds me of a 97 Mercedes S-500 I had, except I trust the Japanese reliability more. After the Benz died I noticed the LS400 on car sites. They blended the S500 with a Lincoln suspension and did a great job. For a 91 to be in it's current condition is just nuts! Even ones that were abused look better than anything else from 91.

I'll put up pics this week.
Old 09-06-16, 07:40 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks Jaaa, I will check the mount.Looks like it wouldn't take an indie garage long to do, judging by the youtube vids.

Good to know Dicer, was right about the 6-8 inch mark too, but closes fine with one more touch. A real tank of a car, reminds me of a 97 Mercedes S-500 I had, except I trust the Japanese reliability more. After the Benz died I noticed the LS400 on car sites. They blended the S500 with a Lincoln suspension and did a great job. For a 91 to be in it's current condition is just nuts! Even ones that were abused look better than anything else from 91.

I'll put up pics this week.
If you have a jack and jack stands, you could easily do this yourself. I took a picture of my bad transmission mount in my thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...w-owner-6.html

Last edited by jaaa; 09-06-16 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-06-16, 09:28 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Welcome and Congrats.

Looking forward to pics!

Mike
Old 09-06-16, 03:33 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If you use jack stands do not use the jack points unless they have a flat or small slot designed for the pinch weld. If you use something like harbor freight stands you will ruin the lower floor and rocker panel. When I use jack stands I have the red rubber pads on them and put them up close to the front cross member and the lower control arm, it works just great. And is a strong point that won't fold the jack point pinch weld over. When I use the pinch welds I have a small piece of hard wood with a slot in it that matches the pinch weld, and then use larger blocks to make up the difference. If you use a floor jack the manual says the front crossmember and the rear differential are the lift points. I always have a pad on the floor jack never metal to metal especially on that aluminum front cross member.

Last edited by dicer; 09-06-16 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-25-16, 04:51 PM
KWChuck
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dicer, those details are always helpful. Would sure hate to bend or twist anything if it can be prevented.
Old 09-25-16, 04:59 PM
KWChuck
Driver School Candidate

Little late with these photos, but here is the beast! So far terrific car and that's coming from an S500 fan.
Old 09-25-16, 05:54 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Welcome, fellow 1991 owner! Mine is painted Black Jade Pearl, too.

Looks like you've found yourself a very nice example! The interior and exterior are in great shape, especially for $2k.

Just a few tips from my experience that may help you:
  • Make sure you keep the leather (seats, steering wheel, shifter, etc) lubricated and clean, especially since it's tan, as well as vinyl parts (dash). Treating them once a year is fine
  • When driving up or down steep ramps, direct the car at an angle, so the front and rear bumpers don't touch the ground
  • The next time you have to rotate your tires, make sure the left directional rims on the left side of the car, and the right rims on the right side. This will improve your brake cooling
  • Use a car UV shield for the rear to preserve the subwoofer, so it doesn't dry out (unless it's no longer working), and one for the front (optional) if parked in the sun
  • Check under the trunk carpet occasionally to make sure water isn't collecting and corroding the spare wheel and frame
Old 09-26-16, 01:32 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

your making it seem like all is normal with your car, engine ticking is not normal for a lexus also popping noise,also tranny whine not a good sign, there are major issues!!
Old 09-26-16, 07:33 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

If the engine ticking sounds like this following video, it's fine. Mine has been similar to that one ever since I got it. A valve adjustment would help reduce wear and noise for my engine, but it is minimal wear and the oil is always changed on time.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 09-26-16 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-26-16, 11:08 AM
KWChuck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lextout
your making it seem like all is normal with your car, engine ticking is not normal for a lexus also popping noise,also tranny whine not a good sign, there are major issues!!

Mechanic I took it to, knows these cars and said that engine tick is normal for that year. Also the tranny needs a fresh mount, part has been ordered already.

CELSI0R : yes, mine sounds similar to your vid. thanks. I checked the spare and area around it - nice and dry. I'll watch the bumpers, found out I also need to back away from curbs at plazas when parking, got lucky, just grazed one. Didn't know the rims needed that, nice. I did the leather treatment. Every bit of knowledge helps, much appreciated. I think driving it easy as it's older helps too, no need to floor it very often. I have tried and it does have some nice kick, but I'll use it sparingly. It's suddenly fun to drive to work again
Old 09-26-16, 03:53 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

CELSI0R : yes, mine sounds similar to your vid. thanks. I checked the spare and area around it - nice and dry. I'll watch the bumpers, found out I also need to back away from curbs at plazas when parking, got lucky, just grazed one. Didn't know the rims needed that, nice. I did the leather treatment. Every bit of knowledge helps, much appreciated. I think driving it easy as it's older helps too, no need to floor it very often. I have tried and it does have some nice kick, but I'll use it sparingly. It's suddenly fun to drive to work again
Happy to share some tips with another owner.

With curbs, I've hit the tow brackets under the front bumper once or twice too. No major damage occurred, they were just a little scuffed, so I cleaned and sprayed black over them.

I also tend to take it easy with my car. I'll mainly give it a little push if I need to merge onto the highway from a standstill (in PWR mode, but not pushing to full throttle) or to safely make it through a light that suddenly turns yellow. These cars still feel pretty modern, and are great for cruising and commuting. Enjoy it!