LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What is 2000 LS400 Platinum with 847 miles worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-16, 08:04 PM
PaulF2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is 2000 LS400 Platinum with 847 miles worth?

New member here looking for guidance from the experts.
My wife's elderly uncle recently passed away and left his 2000 LS 400 Platinum edition to the estate. The car has an incredibly low 847 miles on it. I would love to say it is perfect condition, unfortunately he lived in a house with a very small garage in Brooklyn NY. The passenger side has multiple scrapes and dents from hitting the garage door frame when pulling the car out. I can only assume his inability to successfully navigate the garage opening kept the miles so low (he did have a second basic car parked on the street for everyday use). A body shop estimated $2K to repair all the damage. The remainder of the car is immaculate inside and out. I don't think anyone ever even sat in the passenger or rear seats. The car runs and drives fantastic, but I do recognize all the fluids should be changed and the tires probably are dry rotted.

The plan is to sell the car, but I am having a tough time coming up with a reasonable price. I have basically researched all the auto pricing sites I could think of (KBB, Edmunds, NADA) and the prices vary widely and seemed low. I also checked Autotrader, Cars.com, ebay, Hemmings, cargurus and craigslist) but I can't find any LS400 with low miles to compare.

What do you think the car might be worth to someone in the current condition and if I had the body work and maintenance items addressed?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old 07-30-16, 08:33 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Sounds like a for sale ad but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Post some pics of the damage as well as the rest of the WHOLE car.
Old 07-30-16, 09:42 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulF2000
New member here looking for guidance from the experts.
My wife's elderly uncle recently passed away and left his 2000 LS 400 Platinum edition to the estate. The car has an incredibly low 847 miles on it. I would love to say it is perfect condition, unfortunately he lived in a house with a very small garage in Brooklyn NY. The passenger side has multiple scrapes and dents from hitting the garage door frame when pulling the car out. I can only assume his inability to successfully navigate the garage opening kept the miles so low (he did have a second basic car parked on the street for everyday use). A body shop estimated $2K to repair all the damage. The remainder of the car is immaculate inside and out. I don't think anyone ever even sat in the passenger or rear seats. The car runs and drives fantastic, but I do recognize all the fluids should be changed and the tires probably are dry rotted.

The plan is to sell the car, but I am having a tough time coming up with a reasonable price. I have basically researched all the auto pricing sites I could think of (KBB, Edmunds, NADA) and the prices vary widely and seemed low. I also checked Autotrader, Cars.com, ebay, Hemmings, cargurus and craigslist) but I can't find any LS400 with low miles to compare.

What do you think the car might be worth to someone in the current condition and if I had the body work and maintenance items addressed?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
For one..I would have it repaired under the radar... The understanding with the repairman is it doesn't go into the database ..cash transaction.

If he won't, find someone who understands.

Second; There are a lot of rubber components; timing belt!!, seals, hoses, O-rings, form in place gaskets, lubricants and various other components that degrade with time...especially if not used. Anything with oil, coolant, lubricant, grease or brake fluid will require attention.

If engine oil was not changed regularly, then the bearings may be etched

Check out my restoration postings and if questions, PM me.
Old 07-30-16, 10:18 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes post some pictures.
I would not go for the repaint just yet. Unless they can just touch up the bad stuff and not a paint and blend the unaffected panels. I personally would rather have a small spot blend than see a whole panel or multiple panels painted. Because in time when the new paint fades at a different rate the car doesn't look like a patch work quilt.
I just looked at a car with a repainted trunk lid and its totally faded with zero gloss to it. Likely a very cheapy repaint.
And personally I would pay less for something that had panels repainted to blend than I would having the original scratches.
Old 07-30-16, 10:40 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Put it on eBay, i wouldn't be surprised if you get bids over 15k, try it out, it wont hurt. Also get the body work professionally repaired, take before and after pics of the damages for your reference and also to show potential buyers to verify that there was no serious accident involved, as far as mechanical work goes, i would just change the engine oil, Leave the rest up to the new buyer and let them decide (tbelt/water pump/seals etcc..)
Old 07-31-16, 02:56 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^. If you want to test the market then eBay is a good way. I would guess $10,000 as it sits but probably closer to $15K with all the maintenance and bodywork done....as long as the bodywork is done to Lexus standards.
Old 07-31-16, 05:36 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Here is a craigs list one, but one can ask anything there:
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5698039887.html
Old 07-31-16, 11:41 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

If it is fixed make sure its just the messed up panels that are touched no new paint any place else.
Old 08-01-16, 06:00 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

wurfer..

seriously, that's an awesome car! keep it for yourself! drive it youll fall in love with it!
Old 08-01-16, 12:40 PM
Stereotype
Driver School Candidate

Sort of hard to put a price with those kind of miles having nothing to go off of. I would definitely repair the damage and do the up to date maintenance, it will draw a larger crowd. What has already been said, the 10k-15k mark shouldn't be an issue at all. I would post it up and see what interest you get at a higher price, I.E. 18kish. It'll take an LS enthusiast to pick it up. Definitely a gem... Keep it for yourself, you might be surprised how much you will like it.
Old 08-01-16, 03:56 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

No real enthusiast wants to spend top buck on a car that's been repainted. But maybe the low low miles will over shadow it.
Old 08-01-16, 06:09 PM
Catbyrd1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 Ls

I have 99 LS400 with 64k love the car
Old 08-02-16, 02:48 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

the worst thing you can do to a car is not drive it... with the RH side messed up, I would not want it.. reread YADAONE again... it needs MUCH work and with possible engine trouble down the road..
Old 08-03-16, 02:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I would be contacting Lexus/Toyota Corporate to see if they want it for their museums and local dealerships (Lexus) if they want a display piece.

Worth an easy 10-15k depending on condition.
Old 08-03-16, 02:40 PM
PaulF2000
Driver School Candidate

Thank you to everyone that has replied to my original post. I'm a car guy since childhood; just not intimately knowledgeable about these cars. I knew I would get good advice from enthusiasts! I have attached a few photos for those that were curious. Based on your general advice, I plan on getting the bodywork professionally repaired and then decide what to do next. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: What is 2000 LS400 Platinum with 847 miles worth?