Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000)
Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread] >

Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread]

Notices
LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread]

Old 06-10-17, 06:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Liked 604 Times in 504 Posts

LOL, if you take your time to choose a great body shop, there are absolutely great body shops out there. I have a great mechanic and a great body shop that do good work and don't screw up my cars.

Just because you've had a bad experience doesn't mean there are no good shops out there

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-10-17 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-10-17, 08:19 AM
dicer
Lexus Champion

Liked 72 Times in 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS View Post
LOL, if you take your time to choose a great body shop, there are absolutely great body shops out there. I have a great mechanic and a great body shop that do good work and don't screw up my cars.

Just because you've had a bad experience doesn't mean there are no good shops out there
If there is I could not afford them, because to have good people they will have to pay them lots and they have to work at a dead slow pace, and pretty much no mechanics do that and that is why they mess things up.
Old 06-10-17, 08:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dicer View Post
If there is I could not afford them, because to have good people they will have to pay them lots and they have to work at a dead slow pace, and pretty much no mechanics do that and that is why they mess things up.
There are absolutely plenty of mechanics and body shop folks who can work quickly and do good work. When you are highly skilled at something you don't have to work at a dead slow pace.
Old 06-10-17, 10:55 PM
dicer
Lexus Champion

Not true. I have worked with lots of very highly skilled folks in my life. And the fast ones always messed up, and big bucks when they did. One deal cost over $40,000 to fix, If your close to Billy's age you would know better. By the way every job I have done since around 19 (age) has always been a type of job that a small goof up would cost huge dollars. And we are talking .0002 of an inch, that we had to consistently maintain on $10,000. parts, sorry guy you really don't what to speed through those holes, and I'm guessing no one on here even knows how to measure holes that close, and adjust for temperature changes as well. You change a tool for them when its dull, if you rush that guess what happens?
Old 06-11-17, 05:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, okay pal. Every shop is universally terrible, got it.

I guess I'll just keep on playing Russian roulette with my mechanic who actually has become a personal friend

What kind of work are you having done on a car where you are dealing with "holes" .0002 inches precise where $40,000 worth of damage is at stake on a 20 year old Lexus? Does yours have the plutonium package? Is it actually a spaceship or an aircraft carrier? EVERY job you've done has stakes this high?

BTW, Billy has his cars worked on by mechanic shops. So apparently even at his age he just doesn't have your level of wisdom.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-11-17 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-11-17, 05:30 PM
dicer
Lexus Champion

LOL, okay pal. Every shop is universally terrible, got it.

I guess I'll just keep on playing Russian roulette with my mechanic who actually has become a personal friend

What kind of work are you having done on a car where you are dealing with "holes" .0002 inches precise where $40,000 worth of damage is at stake on a 20 year old Lexus? Does yours have the plutonium package? Is it actually a spaceship or an aircraft carrier? EVERY job you've done has stakes this high?

BTW, Billy has his cars worked on by mechanic shops. So apparently even at his age he just doesn't have your level of wisdom.
There are some parts on cars that likely come close to that tolerance, it was on an industrial part, and the 40k was the machine itself had a part destroyed by the person rushing too much he was one of the top best guys in the place too. I also saw an expensive big truck engine ruined by a mechanic "going too fast" he forgot to tighten some bolts, 25 or so K loss. I have what at the time was an expensive $20 or so K vw engine that a "rushing real good mechanic" destroyed, their insurance covered it. It is basically scrap. In all cases slowing down, walking away, even going home would have cost those businesses way less money. Good tech or not going fast creates junk.
Old 06-12-17, 06:16 AM
deanshark
Lexus Champion

Liked 31 Times in 28 Posts

This is starting to get a bit funny, but annoying. Both of you have good points for your own preference, but come on, it's a bumper sticker that the owner and many, many other folks are proud of.
Old 06-12-17, 06:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by deanshark
This is starting to get a bit funny, but annoying. Both of you have good points for your own preference, but come on, it's a bumper sticker that the owner and many, many other folks are proud of.
I have no problem with the bumper sticker, I'd remove it if I bought the car but I don't think it ruins the car.
Old 06-12-17, 06:44 AM
deanshark
Lexus Champion

Liked 31 Times in 28 Posts

I have no problem with the bumper sticker, I'd remove it if I bought the car but I don't think it ruins the car.
No it doesn't. (our opinion) I'd leave it and be proud.
Old 06-12-17, 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats the thing, when buying one of these or any other car of this age you have top accept that its been the property of likely multiple people over a long period of time, and seeing that its not a classic car, and likely has been driven as somebody's "car", people make choices...they apply bumper stickers, they upgrade audio systems to more modern ones that have navigation and bluetooth, etc. You have to make compromises, and if a car is otherwise a really excellent car, like this is you overlook a bumper sticker. Anyways, how do you know if bumpers in the cars life have been repainted? At that age its more likely they have than they haven't.
Old 06-12-17, 02:06 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Liked 51 Times in 46 Posts

saw this celsior for sale. glad to see some creampuffs are still out there
Attached Thumbnails Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread]-0-2-8.jpg   Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread]-0-3-8.jpg   Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread]-0-1-8.jpg   Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread]-0-4-8.jpg   Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread]-0-5-8.jpg  

Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread]-0-17-8.jpg   Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread]-0-16-8.jpg   Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread]-0-22-7.jpg   Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread]-0-9-8.jpg   Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread]-0-13-8.jpg  

Old 06-12-17, 02:53 PM
dicer
Lexus Champion

Wow all that fancy stuff in the console box with the phone, they sure have the LS400 beat..
And where is that one at?
Old 06-12-17, 02:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That is a sharp one!

Yeah the Celsior always had the rear seat options and things we never got here until the LS430.
Old 06-13-17, 08:59 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Liked 51 Times in 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer View Post
Wow all that fancy stuff in the console box with the phone, they sure have the LS400 beat..
And where is that one at?
I agree and i believe the importer japaneseclassics is on the east coast. the price isnt too bad either

That is a sharp one!

Yeah the Celsior always had the rear seat options and things we never got here until the LS430.
ya, i saw that and was wondering about it too. didn't know there was a type C and that option was even available
Old 06-13-17, 01:30 PM
dicer
Lexus Champion

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/6174885052.html
Here is another wow! And what a price!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ls400 [Salvaged-Broken-Running Cars FS-Craigslist and others- The Mother thread]

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: