LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

water accumulating in passenger footwell

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 07:23 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default water accumulating in passenger footwell

Hey guys, I hope i can get some assistance. Yes I searched.

A few months ago I reported that the 00 LS400 had a few electronics just up and quit (door locks, mirrors, windows.)

Well I dismantled the interior to find the leak. I removed the front portion of the headliner. I removed the a pillar trim and the seats. Drain tubes are fine.

Since the car is a spare and I have a two year old, I finally got to putting the car back together today. What do I find???? DAMP CARPET IN THE PASSANGER FOOTWELL!

What am missing? I poured a gallon of water down the sunroof drain tubes and no leak inside. Water drains fine outside of the car.

Please help guys!

Does the Service Manual have a trouble shooting guide? Anybody have access to one? PLEASE

Last edited by omarg; 05-28-16 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-28-16, 07:51 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

I would have to think your heater core is leaking if your car has been setting up and not being driven, or have you had a lot of rain...... your info is a little incomplete.
Old 05-28-16, 10:50 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

My own experience on a Honda Accord, driver side. The door panel had been removed and the plastic barrier had not been correctly secured. I was looking all over the windshield area for the leak, but a sprinkler on the driver door caused the water to pour in from the door into the foot well. It was a used car so I didn't know the door panel had been off and not secured properly. Calked the plastic back in place and did not have a problem after that.
Old 05-28-16, 12:27 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Maybe that happens on a Honda, but that barrier is not sealed all that great to begin with and if water made it past on an LS the fiberglass door panel would not route it into the car.
I would more blame something like the cowl vent into the cabin filter since the newer than Gen 1's have those, if its the moon roof drains the head liner is the first to feel that leak. Door seals can leak but they are pretty redundant on an LS. Also could be AC evaporator drain is backed up or leaking, that is if its not engine coolant, though you would smell that.
Old 05-28-16, 05:37 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Have experienced this in 99 LS400. Recent heavy rainfall?
You report the water coming down behind the front window pillar interior trim... The moonroof drains become overwhelmed and spill over onto headliner and down the window pillars. This can be especially problematic if you park on an uneven surface.... side-to-side, and, or, front to back. Also check the roofline weather strip running atop the front amd tear doors. Also apply quality weather strip conditioner to moonroof.
Old 12-14-20, 09:02 AM
DGMD
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Have this same problem. Did you ever figure out where the leak was from? Anyone else deal with this problem recently?
Old 12-14-20, 09:14 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DGMD
Have this same problem. Did you ever figure out where the leak was from? Anyone else deal with this problem recently?
Haven't dealt with it recently, but have solved it previously.

From an earlier post:
"Have experienced this in 99 LS400. Recent heavy rainfall?
You report the water coming down behind the front window pillar interior trim... The moonroof drains become overwhelmed and spill over onto headliner and down the window pillars. This can be especially problematic if you park on an uneven surface.... side-to-side, and, or, front to back. Also check the roofline weather strip running atop the front and doors. Also apply quality weather strip conditioner to moonroof."

There are numerous connectors in the passenger footwell (rightside) that become doused and your electronics go haywire.

Possibly you have debris in the drains?

Do clean and condition the rubber moonroof seal with Shin Etsu rubber grease.

Last edited by YODAONE; 12-14-20 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-14-20, 07:53 PM
DGMD
Driver

Headliner is dry and moon roof drains appear to be clear. Doesn't look like the weatherstripping either. Any other possibilities?

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Haven't dealt with it recently, but have solved it previously.

From an earlier post:
"Have experienced this in 99 LS400. Recent heavy rainfall?
You report the water coming down behind the front window pillar interior trim... The moonroof drains become overwhelmed and spill over onto headliner and down the window pillars. This can be especially problematic if you park on an uneven surface.... side-to-side, and, or, front to back. Also check the roofline weather strip running atop the front and doors. Also apply quality weather strip conditioner to moonroof."

There are numerous connectors in the passenger footwell (rightside) that become doused and your electronics go haywire.

Possibly you have debris in the drains?

Do clean and condition the rubber moonroof seal with Shin Etsu rubber grease.
Old 12-14-20, 08:34 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DGMD
Headliner is dry and moon roof drains appear to be clear. Doesn't look like the weatherstripping either. Any other possibilities?
An overflowing moonroof drain valley does not spillover onto the headliner, but drains down the right front pillar and onto the connector bulkhead before it creates a puddle on your passenger footwell.

A visual.inspection of drains will not cut it.

Condition the moonroof seal with Shin Etsu grease

Orherwise consider taking it to the dealer
Old 12-15-20, 03:42 AM
DGMD
Driver

I'll tell shop to take another look at moon roof drains. Appreciate all the info you put on here yodaone. Looking to try your ls430 motor swap eventually! My 2000 has 236k on it. I'll prolly try it at 300k or if a cam/ vvti sprocket oil leak develops sooner.

Originally Posted by YODAONE
An overflowing moonroof drain valley does not spillover onto the headliner, but drains down the right front pillar and onto the connector bulkhead before it creates a puddle on your passenger footwell.

A visual.inspection of drains will not cut it.

Condition the moonroof seal with Shin Etsu grease

Orherwise consider taking it to the dealer
Old 01-16-22, 12:46 PM
DGMD
Driver

I finally got around to having to fix this problem. Car had an intermittent parasitic electrical drain that only happened periodically, when there was really bad rain. The front passenger carpet was also wet when this happened, but not always. This is what the yellowed shrivelled tubes connecting to the front moonroof drains look like. An audio shop helped me take down the headliner. Tubes are not available at Lexus dealers but apparently look available on amayama. Instead of waiting 2 weeks to be shipped from Japan the audio shop tech is going to home Depot to find a replacement...

Lesson is to listen to Yodaone!! If I had done this a year ago I wouldn't have had to buy a new interstate battery It is now trashed from multiple deep discharges.

Attached Files
Old 12-23-23, 11:44 AM
sguagliard
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger rear footwell wet

After reviewing a lot of threads on this issue I have determined that the leak is definitely rear passenger side drain. I am struggling with exact place where leak is originating. Three attached pics 1 is where water accumulates although smaller amounts appear in trunk. 2 and 3 is where I see water free flowing within about 10 seconds of pouring water down the drain. Have attempted to clean out drain hose with no change.

Any thoughts on where leak is actually happening and next steps?