LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New to me 98 LS400 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 04:55 PM
hideous
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 98 LS400 questions

Hello I picked up a 98 LS400 with 157k miles and I had a couple questions. First of all I have only had it about a day and I absolutely love it. I noticed that my 0-60 is a little bit different than what some other people online and on the "zeroto60times" website. It is about a full second slower at the fastest I was able to do it and I noticed that there is a little bit of lag when I pull out from a complete stop (not just when I floor it this is any time i'm at a complete stop) I was wondering if there was anything I should look for or try to replace that might be causing this issue.

My second issue is the vehicle came with only 1 key and my local key shop (NOT the stealership) can give me and cut a key but it doesn't have the lock and unlock buttons on it. After doing some research I found this: http://www.keyfobmall.com/1998-Lexus...-1512v-rhk.htm (sorry no idea how to submit a link.) This seems to work for my intended purpose of remotely locking and unlocking the doors and opening the trunk is that correct? I will also have to program this myself after it's cut right? Does anybody have any experience with this specific website? Thank you for any responses, really enjoying the car and I hope it will last me a lifetime.
Old 04-27-16, 08:03 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

you'd REALLY love it if it was performing at full potential lol. but yea it should be doing like a 6.2 second 0-60. the only things i can think of is maybe the throttle cable has a bunch of slack in it and maybe the throttle body is very dirty. maybe do a compression test? also make sure there isn't an entire weightlifting set in the trunk. could also be a fuel pump going bad. when you floor it does it go all the way to redline?
Old 04-27-16, 08:05 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It will last you if you take care of it and don't worry about 0 to 60 times and that sort of thing, all that does is over stress things like motor mounts, drive line flex joints, transmission parts etc.
A little bit of a lag is a good thing hopefully its the ecu trying to protect some parts. Sorry but that just isn't how you treat a car you want to last a life time.
Old 04-27-16, 08:08 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

what it should look like
Old 04-27-16, 08:13 PM
hideous
Driver School Candidate

I do believe it goes all the way to the redline although I haven't really checked. And I understand not to treat it like this it's just a new to me car and I absolutely love it I don't think you can blame me much for seeing what the engine can do. Anybody have any input on my key dilemma? I only have the one and am terrified of losing it.
Old 04-27-16, 08:25 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Key yeah that's easy, go to the dealer.

Seeing what the engine can do is why you see so many people having problems with their cars, if I wanted to beat a car, I would get a project car to hammer on, and its going to be something that is easy to fix like an old car with simplicity and easy access to all the parts. Not an LS400 that you have to remove so much stuff just to see a sensor, or water pump.
Old 04-27-16, 08:34 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dicer

Seeing what the engine can do is why you see so many people having problems with their cars, if I wanted to beat a car, I would get a project car to hammer on, and its going to be something that is easy to fix like an old car with simplicity and easy access to all the parts. Not an LS400 that you have to remove so much stuff just to see a sensor, or water pump.
ok come on doing the occasional 0-60 isn't gonna kill an LS 400. these things are built to last a long time. i've been elsewhere on the internet and one guy said he had an LS for 23 years that'd been "absolutely abused" and still ran 'like new"

they designed this car specifically to smoke the S Class it's not gonna die from redlining it every so often. and if you read the brochure they basically tell you to leave others in the dust. if you keep it maintained and at least wait for the oil to properly warm up before any sporty driving it'll be totally fine. i don't "floor it" too often but i'll get it up to like 5K rpm relatively frequently and it still runs just as smoothly and has every bit as much power as it did when i got it 60k miles ago.

don't forget this engine is literally certified by the FAA who deemed it durable enough for use in light aircraft, and they've even used them in powerboat racing. the damn thing has 6 bolt main bearings and it's even based on a CART/IRL design and was intended to be used on GT500 cars. it's an absolute tank. yea you'll wear down the mounts more quickly with repeated hard launches but those aren't too expense.

Last edited by Stroock639; 04-27-16 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-27-16, 08:37 PM
hideous
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer

Go to the dealership? so does that mean that this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-LEXUS-IS...5TZ4J1&vxp=mtr is not an option? I can't just get a blank key fob and get it cut and program it myself? because that's what it seems like I can do. (by the way how do you insert a link)
(nevermind I guess it's good?)

Last edited by hideous; 04-27-16 at 08:38 PM. Reason: details
Old 04-28-16, 05:24 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hideous
Go to the dealership? so does that mean that this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-LEXUS-IS...5TZ4J1&vxp=mtr is not an option? I can't just get a blank key fob and get it cut and program it myself? because that's what it seems like I can do. (by the way how do you insert a link)
(nevermind I guess it's good?)
go to the FAQ section (it's stickied at the top of the LS forum page) and there's key programming tutorials. as for cutting it as long as it could be done properly i don't see why it wouldn't work.
Old 04-28-16, 05:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Are there any check engine lights on???

As for the "is there something wrong with it" question about the hesistation, do the basic tuneup stuff first. New spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, fresh oil, trans fluid, fresh coolant, fresh rear diff oil. Check the throttle body and mass airflow sensor, make sure they aren't dirty. I bet a fresh set of plugs will get her running a bit better.

Once you change all the fluids, fresh plugs, etc take her out on a lonely highway and beat on her a bit. Try running from 50 to 100-120 a few times with your foot flat to the floor. Give her the old Italian tuneup. Sometimes these cars have been driven very sedately by old people who never go past 2500rpm and that can lead to carbon buildup in the engine. Running her hard for a bit can make a difference and blow out some of the carbon deposits(I know back when I owned a Cadillac this was a common problem and fix for those Northstar engines)

Last edited by Aron9000; 04-28-16 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-28-16, 09:14 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Congrats on the LS

Good gas can make a difference all else in good mechanical order. No complaints from me using Shell V-Power.