LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Seized strut rod bolt.... help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 06:52 PM
Swint
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized strut rod bolt.... help

My strut rod bushings on my 98 were plenty worn so I decided to replace them. Well, I've got both sides torn down and I can't for the life of me remove the strut rod thru-bolt. I have the nut off on both sides but no matter how much I impact, hammer, PB Blast, breaker bar them they won't budge. They are seized to the sleeve on the inside of the strut rod bushing. Does anyone have any idea how to remove them? I was thinking maybe heat them but I am trying here first to see if I may be missing some trick?

The rod has no load on it and is completely disconnected at the hub end and is just dangling in mid air.

Last edited by Swint; 03-30-16 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 07:09 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

i believe the suspension (since it's in the air) is pinching down the joint, locking the bolt in place. try to unload the suspension by carefully placing a jack on the lower control arm and jacking upwards until it unlocks the bolt.

keep in mind, the new bushing needs to be clocked a certain way. also the whole assembly needs to be torqued when the suspension is loaded (or on the ground). to do this on the driveway, i jack up the lower control arm upwards until the car comes off the jackstand a bit. this is how i simulate a loaded suspension while still having room under the car to tighten everything. secure the car so it won't roll away. the ramifications are obvious!
Old 03-30-16, 07:49 PM
Swint
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i believe the suspension (since it's in the air) is pinching down the joint, locking the bolt in place. try to unload the suspension by carefully placing a jack on the lower control arm and jacking upwards until it unlocks the bolt.

keep in mind, the new bushing needs to be clocked a certain way. also the whole assembly needs to be torqued when the suspension is loaded (or on the ground). to do this on the driveway, i jack up the lower control arm upwards until the car comes off the jackstand a bit. this is how i simulate a loaded suspension while still having room under the car to tighten everything. secure the car so it won't roll away. the ramifications are obvious!
I know about tightening it on the ground and clocking it the right way but this has no load on it. The 2 bolts on the hub side are completely disconnected and the strut rod is dangling in mid air.
Old 03-30-16, 08:50 PM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may sound silly but have you tried moving the rod up/ down as far as possible then side to side. Looking at your picture the thru-bolt appears to be flat on the bottom so it should resist turning as the rod is lifted or lowered. Could there be a retaining clip of some kind that was missed during disassembly?
Old 03-30-16, 08:59 PM
Swint
Rookie

Originally Posted by GH5T
It may sound silly but have you tried moving the rod up/ down as far as possible then side to side. Looking at your picture the thru-bolt appears to be flat on the bottom so it should resist turning as the rod is lifted or lowered. Could there be a retaining clip of some kind that was missed during disassembly?
Yes, I have. The inner bushing is separated from the rubber bushing so moving the bar doesn't do anything to the bolt.
Old 03-30-16, 09:37 PM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then a torch maybe your only option.
Old 03-31-16, 04:54 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

jack/tie up the strut rod so it's parallel to the ground (roughly same position as it is when installed and the suspension is compressed). Then try to hammer it out or (preferably) unwind the bolt, (lefty-loosey) it out. If it doesn't want to turn, use a longer breaker bar.

Removal is tricky when you let the bushing get really bad, as the threads int he bolts start to eat into the bracket material a bit.
Old 03-31-16, 05:59 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Try this

Might have to get a little creative, but if you have a 2 or 3 jaw puller, try to get the hooks around the inner bushing support somehow, then try screwing the device into the bolt, pushing it out the other side, while working the hex head back and forth, like PD said. You could also use a crowbar, secured at one end, and a suitable spacer to apply pressure at the threaded end, pushing it out while trying to turn the hex with a wrench. This is where it would be nice to have 3 arms. If you have to hammer on the bolt, be sure to put the nut on to protect the threads!
Old 03-31-16, 03:13 PM
Swint
Rookie

It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to fit any sort of puller on there. I torched it as well today and still nothing. Got some Chanel locks around the metal bushing sleeve to try and hold it independently from the bolt and still nothing.

I've even tried cutting the bolt and metal insert sleeve with a sawzall and it's just eating up my metal cutting blade like nothing. I'm at a loss on this one. I did my motor mounts yesterday and I'd rather do them 10 times over than run into this **** again... I have a video I'll post up soon of exactly what's happening to better explain.

With that being said, they're still stuck, both sides. Seized in the metal bushing sleeve. Anyone else have anything creative?
Old 03-31-16, 06:42 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I would have used a nut as a guide to keep an air hammer centered on the bolt and used a strong air hammer on it. It is amazing what high frequency air hammering will do. There really is nothing to use a torch on to heat with a rubber bushing there and all the nice painted underside stuff, that is no place for heat and flames. And this may have been something better left to a dealer or shop that deals with this stuff daily.

Last edited by dicer; 03-31-16 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-31-16, 07:53 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I had to use a combination of heat and a sawzall to get the passenger side off. It took a WHILE but I finally got it off.
Old 04-01-16, 10:41 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have a spare car and time on your hands, try spraying PB liberally into the notched portion of the bolt. Repeat twice per day for a couple of days. Then take a good air impact (600lbs+) to the bolt head with the correct impact socket without any adapter or swivel (which will significantly reduce torque). Harbor freight has one for $99 currently on sale that is rated 700 lbs and it's made quick work of everything I've thrown at it including flywheels, axles and main pulleys. I got mine for $79 at one of their tent sales .

1/2 in. Professional Air Impact Wrench

If you don't have access to the impact (or one strong enough) a sawsall and new bolt might be your only option.

I just did them on a '98 with 205k miles on it and thankfully they came out without any fuss but did had a bunch of corrosion on the bolts.

And holy crap does it ride so much nicer now.

Last edited by djamps; 04-01-16 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-01-16, 03:23 PM
Swint
Rookie

Old 04-01-16, 06:31 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Why is the picture so small? Can't see nothing.
Old 04-03-16, 10:42 PM
Swint
Rookie

Finally got them off. Removing the 2 frame braces and an angle grinder made removing them a breeze.

Last edited by Swint; 04-03-16 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Seized strut rod bolt.... help