LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1991 key housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 05:44 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 1991 key housing

My son in law recently bought a 1991 ls400 and it only had one good key. It did however have another key in pieces where the housing was broken. This is the key that has the single remote button on the side of it. The inside of the button is missing and part of the outside of the housing is broken. I'm hoping to order just the housing to make the key good by transferring the electronics over to the new housing. I did a google search and found an infinite number of keys and key housings but not one that had the single unlock button on the side of the key. Anyone ever replaced their housing for an early ls400? Any links.
Old 03-30-16, 06:03 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Very nice, jaaa. I hope that your son in law enjoys his LS400, as well as takes good care of it for years to come.

In terms of the remote key, I don't believe any OEM or aftermarket housings are produced. If you want the original style housing, you would need to find another remote key online and take that one apart.

The main option I see would be to fabricate/fix up the original housing, but I don't know if this is possible in its current condition.

Do you have any pictures of the key?

Personally though, the key isn't really that necessary. I never use mine, because the car uses more power to enable the remote module, and it only works within a 3 foot radius of the car (if I recall correctly).

Last edited by CELSI0R; 03-30-16 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 06:32 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Very nice, jaaa. I hope that your son in law enjoys his LS400, as well as takes good care of it for years to come.

In terms of the remote key, I don't believe any OEM or aftermarket housings are produced. If you want the original style housing, you would need to find another remote key online and take that one apart.

The main option I see would be to fabricate/fix up the original housing, but I don't know if this is possible in its current condition.

Do you have any pictures of the key?

Personally though, the key isn't really that necessary. I never use mine, because the car uses more power to enable the remote module, and it only works within a 3 foot radius of the car (if I recall correctly).
Finally got a hit by googling the FCC number fcc id hyq1512A
So I saw an ebay used key for $50, but still don't see any housings for this style. Lots of three button key housings. Here is a link I got and a look at how this key looks. Hate to pay $50 just so I could get a housing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-Key-Fob-FCC-ID-HYQ1512A/121938963798?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D35955%26meid%3D8dcd0ae9233c4e4c9a3c899c98109ff7%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D221547691533
Attached Thumbnails 1991 key housing-dsc04245.jpg  

Last edited by jaaa; 03-30-16 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 07:38 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by jaaa
Finally got a hit by googling the FCC number fcc id hyq1512A
So I saw an ebay used key for $50, but still don't see any housings for this style. Lots of three button key housings. Here is a link I got and a look at how this key looks. Hate to pay $50 just so I could get a housing.
I know what you mean. To me, $50 is too much for that housing..

Do you have any body filler or molding clay? To be honest, it doesn't look all that bad; I can even still see the actual button in there!

If you fill in the part that's cracked, then glue something small that sticks out to the original button, it should work just fine.
Old 03-30-16, 08:20 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

I know what you mean. To me, $50 is too much for that housing..

Do you have any body filler or molding clay? To be honest, it doesn't look all that bad; I can even still see the actual button in there!

If you fill in the part that's cracked, then glue something small that sticks out to the original button, it should work just fine.
The switch is still there, but the round cushioned thing that makes it stick out so your fingers can push it is missing. I saw a few loose wires that I should be able to reattach. If nothing else, I will just epoxy the whole thing together and at least have a spare key for manual door opening and driving. I already tried it to see it the car would start. So anyone out there with a spare key they no longer need.............?
Old 03-31-16, 07:55 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

The switch is still there, but the round cushioned thing that makes it stick out so your fingers can push it is missing. I saw a few loose wires that I should be able to reattach. If nothing else, I will just epoxy the whole thing together and at least have a spare key for manual door opening and driving. I already tried it to see it the car would start. So anyone out there with a spare key they no longer need.............?
Right, right. Sounds good.

What I meant though is, you can use epoxy or any other type of material to fill in the cracked part of the key, leaving the hole for the button, then glue something to the switch so it sticks out and you can press it.
Old 03-31-16, 11:15 AM
xMUZZx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is broken exactly like yours so it's obviously a design flaw as they age. Even if you did buy that used one its 25 years old and brittle. The same thing will happen soon.

They are $300 new from Lexus which is to much for me so I just taped it up and use the door lock as mine doesn't work anymore
Old 03-31-16, 03:16 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xMUZZx
Mine is broken exactly like yours so it's obviously a design flaw as they age. Even if you did buy that used one its 25 years old and brittle. The same thing will happen soon.

They are $300 new from Lexus which is to much for me so I just taped it up and use the door lock as mine doesn't work anymore
I don't doubt you. I was sure hoping to run across just buying the housing. I jury rigged up a button and will see if I can get it to hold. THis is a second key, so not all that important.
Old 04-01-16, 08:53 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Right, right. Sounds good.

What I meant though is, you can use epoxy or any other type of material to fill in the cracked part of the key, leaving the hole for the button, then glue something to the switch so it sticks out and you can press it.
I ended up using a gasket for a plumbing washer that I cut down and RTVed in to guide the plunger. I cut off the top part of a plastic pen clicker for the plunger and then barely RTVed that in place. I then put the filler portion of black rtv to kind of blend it all in. Doesn't look real pretty, but I tested it out this morning on their car and it works the car doors and works in the ignition. Not sure how easy it will be to replace the battery next time, but I'll do that battle then. Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails 1991 key housing-dsc04255.jpg  
Old 04-01-16, 01:56 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

I ended up using a gasket for a plumbing washer that I cut down and RTVed in to guide the plunger. I cut off the top part of a plastic pen clicker for the plunger and then barely RTVed that in place. I then put the filler portion of black rtv to kind of blend it all in. Doesn't look real pretty, but I tested it out this morning on their car and it works the car doors and works in the ignition. Not sure how easy it will be to replace the battery next time, but I'll do that battle then. Here is a pic:
Great work!.. And you saved a lot of money, too!!

I'll keep this thread bookmarked, in case I ever need to repair mine. Perhaps a tutorial could be formed at some point.
Old 04-01-16, 02:08 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

hell considering the car is a quarter century old, you're lucky to have the original fob broken or not!
Old 04-01-16, 02:15 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stereorob
hell considering the car is a quarter century old, you're lucky to have the original fob broken or not!
Actually, that was a key point when my son-in-law bought the car. It only had 136k miles and looked like it had been garaged. Only downside was someone had slammed it and the underneath side showed it. Had to repaint his oil pan because of skid marks on it(leaked pretty bad). The person they bought it from must have done a lot of work because it looked like it had all new suspension parts and it was no longer lowered.
Old 04-01-16, 04:09 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Actually, that was a key point when my son-in-law bought the car. It only had 136k miles and looked like it had been garaged. Only downside was someone had slammed it and the underneath side showed it. Had to repaint his oil pan because of skid marks on it(leaked pretty bad). The person they bought it from must have done a lot of work because it looked like it had all new suspension parts and it was no longer lowered.
Wow.. It's disappointing to hear that, but I'm glad that you've been able to take care of these problems, even though not much can be done about the frame.

Have you mentioned this car before? I somehow remember a thread regarding the oil pan.
Old 04-01-16, 08:40 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Wow.. It's disappointing to hear that, but I'm glad that you've been able to take care of these problems, even though not much can be done about the frame.

Have you mentioned this car before? I somehow remember a thread regarding the oil pan.
I brought it up once, but have no idea where. They bought it while I was in Vegas. Had I been there, I'm sure I would have spotted the underneath damage(and could have got more off the purchase price). It does drive well for a 25 year old car. Except for the oil pan, there are no other leaks, so in that regard, it's not a bad car. Repainted though.
Old 04-02-16, 05:56 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

once they've been slammed it seems like they don't last too long after. seems to be hard to bring them back too. love the way they look slammed but dear god its so bad for the car

Quick Reply: 1991 key housing