LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'98 LS400 CEL p0763

Old 03-25-16, 01:39 PM
joncurry94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 LS400 CEL p0763

Okay guys, CEL code p0763. I've changed the trans fluid recently, it's a nice color red. This was a cheap shot at trying to fix it, because it needed to be done regardless. I swear, the car shifts fine but I'm not exactly 100% of that. I've had the code since I purchased the car off of my uncle a few months back and haven't really been driving it that frequently. But I am wanting to try to get this code clear ( and the problem fixed if possible).

Some options I have considered but haven't followed up:
Seafoam Trans Tune (probably won't fix my issue here)
Replacing spark plugs (I have done this once already)
Having the trans flushed (not too keen on the idea of this)

Short of that, I have been doing some research on these forums (and other forums) regarding changing the shift solenoid 'c'. My understanding is this really isn't THAT complex. Empty contents of trans pan, pull of trans pan, unbolt the solenoid, coat new solenoid in some ATF (Toyota T-IV) strap that sucker in and bolt it back, replace gasket on trans pan and make sure you replace the fluid you lost. Sounds simple enough, right?

My question is this: where can I get the solenoid? Should I go through a dealership? Found this, but is it even the correct part? http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...270-30030.html
Also, does anyone happen to have a diagram that would help me locate which solenoid I need to be changing?
Old 03-25-16, 02:28 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

this might help
Attached Thumbnails '98 LS400 CEL p0763-35270.jpg  
Old 03-25-16, 02:35 PM
joncurry94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
this might help
Yes, indeed that does quite a lot. However, I'm still uncertain which of the three solenoids pictured is the one I need to replace. Is there any way to determine this? I see their part numbers are different, but I am wondering if they are interchangeable.
Old 03-25-16, 06:23 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Either go online or to a local transmission shop, they can usually get them after market for way cheaper cost than at the dealer. They may even have used ones on hand. Its a simple to do part so why go top dollar on it?
Old 03-26-16, 06:13 PM
joncurry94
Driver School Candidate

Alrighty guys, working on getting the trans pan off. The sealant is like cement, I swear. Possibly 18 years (assuming it hasn't been changed before) worth of sealant is holding the pan in place and I have no idea how to pry it off without damaging anything. The exhaust is mostly in the way. Any recommendations for this?
Old 03-27-16, 06:37 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

I assume you have seen this, if not, do some reading.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...oid-fixed.html
Old 03-27-16, 12:14 PM
joncurry94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
I assume you have seen this, if not, do some reading.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...oid-fixed.html
I've been following that along pretty well today. Finally managed to pry the stupid pan off. Cleaning it at this very moment. Is it safe to wipe the old brownish ATF off of the transmission where the pan was? Decided to use some RTF to reseal it.
Old 03-27-16, 12:40 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If you are using a silicone sealer both the pan and the transmission gasket surfaces need to be oil free. No hint of oil at all on them if there is any it will leak. You will need to use something like brake clean to remove the oil.
There is oil dripping and running all over under a transmission, so it is not an easy task to keep oil off stuff.
All the old sealer needs to be removed, and you can not scratch or gouge the aluminum transmission surface in the process of cleaning it.
Old 03-27-16, 03:45 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

dicer is right, take your time and do it right
Old 03-27-16, 05:10 PM
joncurry94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
If you are using a silicone sealer both the pan and the transmission gasket surfaces need to be oil free. No hint of oil at all on them if there is any it will leak. You will need to use something like brake clean to remove the oil.
There is oil dripping and running all over under a transmission, so it is not an easy task to keep oil off stuff.
All the old sealer needs to be removed, and you can not scratch or gouge the aluminum transmission surface in the process of cleaning it.
And just like that, code is no longer a problem and it is shifting very well. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-27-16, 07:05 PM
joncurry94
Driver School Candidate

Apparently either my pan/transmission oil cleaning skills aren't good enough or my RTF application skills aren't good enough because I do have a leak. Going to check it out more tomorrow.
Old 03-28-16, 03:03 PM
joncurry94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
Okay, so at first I thought it was just the ECU needing to reconfigure things because I disconnected the battery and reconnected it. Since I have done the trans fluid swap and fixed the code, when I go from Park to D or R, there is a very ominous hesitation before the vehicle decides to move in either two directions, sometimes I even have to give it gas and I will just sit there for 2-3 seconds before it goes either forwards or backwards. Ideas?
Old 03-30-16, 03:46 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Double check your fluid level, that's the most basic thing you could do i guess. Also look at replacing your transmission mount.

Getting that old form in place gasket (FIPG) of the tranny pan was a huge pain. quite time consuming. I used a paper gasket that came with the tranny filter
Old 04-04-17, 09:44 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a 99LS with 224K miles. P0763 came on twice over last few months, both times after hours of highway driving at high speeds. Both times the code disappeared by itself after car sat overnight.
Could the code be caused by slightly overfilled transmission?

Val

Last edited by valex; 04-04-17 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-06-17, 06:49 PM
LS400UCF20
Driver School Candidate

It is my understanding that the transmission pan on the 98-00 only use sealant and no gasket. I am not sure about the 89-97 models.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '98 LS400 CEL p0763