LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bought a Lexus today. Broke a Lexus today..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-16, 11:10 PM
Oceanic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a Lexus today. Broke a Lexus today..

Bought this beauty today for 750, guy was asking 1000, shes a 92 LS400, engine light on for evap, needs flex pipe, interior is really torn up but everything functions, 200k with a tune up around 40k ago including timing components and water pump, plug wires, and plugs, etc

Guess someone didn't torque down the lugs too well and well... This happened..

Tapped the brakes and tire started wobbling, noticed something was wrong and stared to pull over and all the studs broke and sent the tire across the street almost into the lake
Gonna see what I can do about having the guy who sold me the car covering the body work or knocking some cash off for his neglegance, we'll see how that goes.

But, I plan to build her up, and I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.
If anyone has some info or suggestions I'll greatly appreciate the help.
Old 03-06-16, 11:52 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Ouch...a pretty startling situation. Best part is that you are ok and that nobody else was involved in the failed wheel studs. We take some of those little bits for granted and this is a good reminder for me to check the torque on mine.
Old 03-07-16, 12:06 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

go to a local junk yard/.pull a part and take all you need. 200$ invested and u got a beauty.
Old 03-07-16, 06:22 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Oceanic

Bought this beauty today for 750, guy was asking 1000, shes a 92 LS400, engine light on for evap, needs flex pipe, interior is really torn up but everything functions, 200k with a tune up around 40k ago including timing components and water pump, plug wires, and plugs, etc

Guess someone didn't torque down the lugs too well and well... This happened..

Tapped the brakes and tire started wobbling, noticed something was wrong and stared to pull over and all the studs broke and sent the tire across the street almost into the lake
Gonna see what I can do about having the guy who sold me the car covering the body work or knocking some cash off for his neglegance, we'll see how that goes.

But, I plan to build her up, and I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.
If anyone has some info or suggestions I'll greatly appreciate the help.
I bought my $300 special in July, and am just now down to it's last problem. Why don't you list the paint code, I still surf the local pick/pull places and might spot a cherry front quarter panel.
Old 03-07-16, 08:43 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Ouch!! It hurts even more, because she looks just like mine.

Really sorry to see that this happened to you. I hope he covers the costs, as that is really his fault.

You should also check for severe underbody damage that needs to be taken care of, before rust forms.
Old 03-07-16, 08:46 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Man, that sucks. Glad you are okay!

Mike
Old 03-07-16, 08:59 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I doubt he/she will cover the costs. The fender and panel damage alone would eat up that $750. Junk yard is your best friend. I had a wheel come off twice from loose lugs. Once while going 70 mph on the turnpike. I was lucky that day.

Last edited by sha4000; 03-07-16 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 09:13 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

wowy, and glad you are ok! it's certainly worth a shot to get some compensation for the prev owners negligence but don't hold your breath. as people said, junkyards will be your best friend in locating replacement parts.

you can also try using the following, to find a replacement fender!
http://www.car-part.com/
Old 03-07-16, 09:49 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Jaaa, that is not a quarter panel, it is called a front fender. Quarter panels technically are not replaceable and are an integral part of the unibody. Yeah not cool I guess a lesson to us all after buying a car check all the lug nuts before driving it home.
So how is the passenger side fender, it looks like a big dent in it?
I would have got them much lower with a tore up interior. Or waited and paid a bit more for a nice interior.
Oh and that driver side front fender has the look of a repaint, does it look like it has been?

UPDATE, It can be called a quarter panel or front fender. Stupid me quarter is one forth, so logically there have to be 4 quarter panels.
I'm a week out of surgery and just not had a good week, so sorry about my mess up.

Last edited by dicer; 03-07-16 at 04:35 PM. Reason: My stupidity
Old 03-07-16, 11:04 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Jaaa, that is not a quarter panel, it is called a front fender. Quarter panels technically are not replaceable and are an integral part of the unibody. Yeah not cool I guess a lesson to us all after buying a car check all the lug nuts before driving it home.
So how is the passenger side fender, it looks like a big dent in it?
I would have got them much lower with a tore up interior. Or waited and paid a bit more for a nice interior.
Oh and that driver side front fender has the look of a repaint, does it look like it has been?
you still busy correcting everybody?? we can look at the photo and know what he is talking about..

we are all impressed with your proper knowledge, so just back off.
Old 03-07-16, 11:39 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Billy normally I would not even reply to your last post. You need to remember correct terminology should be strived for, why? Because there are many others that know little or nothing about cars that come to these sites. Kids too, and if we would have had this internet deal when I was a kid, I would have appreciated to learn the correct stuff and nomenclature, I am glad that the auto magazines that I had to learn from in the day were pretty correct on terminology and how to do things. The internet can be a good thing and a bad thing for knowledge and education.
Old 03-07-16, 12:57 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

OK, you win, I'll back off... sometimes it just rubs me the wrong way
Old 03-07-16, 01:05 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
OK, you win, I'll back off... sometimes it just rubs me the wrong way
Actually, I learned(and obviously wrongly) that when I was a young kid and always thought the term was interchangeable front to back. I guess you can learn at 65. But truly, I only mentioned that because I thought I might be able to spot one for him. I like to give back to the forums as I can because I've gotten so much information and support over the years and have saved so much money. For sure, I'm not the sharpest blade on this forum and receive much more than I give.
Old 03-07-16, 04:29 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

https://www.google.com/#q=define+quarter+panel

So Jaaa since you got me by 2 years age, you are the older wiser one on this.
I was wrong in my post about quarter panel nomenclature. And Sorry to you to Billy. Stupid me.

And quarter is one 4th so there has to be 4 corners.
Old 03-07-16, 08:47 PM
Oceanic
Driver School Candidate

Studs are on!

Broke 3 ratchets doing it though, could find my breaker bar anywhere, neighbor was kind enough to lend me one

Heat shield was griding, ripped it right off, seems to pull right when I brake now, and there's an intermittent clunking that comes from the rear, seems to increase with speed but happens only when I take my foot off the gas or apply brakes and only here and there, can't seem to figure it out

Friend suggested servicing the dif, I'm thinking all new rotors and bearings, but we'll see what it turns out to be.

If you've got any suggestions or solutions let me know.

Quick Reply: Bought a Lexus today. Broke a Lexus today..