LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998-2000 ls400 oem radiator options

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 05:53 AM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 241 Likes on 88 Posts

Yoda did you ever find out what the differences are? I am in the market for a new OEM rad and I dont know which one to purchase. Living in AZ I would like to maximize my cooling but if there is no discernible difference between the 50130 and the 50150 I cant justify the cost difference.
Old 04-17-19, 10:32 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by cyfi66
Yoda did you ever find out what the differences are? I am in the market for a new OEM rad and I dont know which one to purchase. Living in AZ I would like to maximize my cooling but if there is no discernible difference between the 50130 and the 50150 I cant justify the cost difference.
No.

Perhaps you can persuade your local Lexus parts department to provide details.

I requested core thickness measurements, but the distribution center couldn't be bothered (the dealer tried)

The transmission cooler.might be enlarged.

See what you can find out...
Old 05-18-19, 04:09 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

I decided to bite the bullet and buy the 5015.

I was very surprised to see just how much larger this radiator is compared to the 5013.

I measure a core thickness of 16mm for 5013 and 27mm for 5015.

The tanks are also larger. See pics. Have yet to install

The following 3 users liked this post by cyfi66:
dlcoffin (05-20-19), oldskewel (05-18-19), Peacebay (05-18-19)
Old 05-18-19, 06:39 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

I decided to bite the bullet and buy the 5015.

I was very surprised to see just how much larger this radiator is compared to the 5013.

I measure a core thickness of 16mm for 5013 and 27mm for 5015.

The tanks are also larger. See pics. Have yet to install

Substantial difference...

Have a close look at radiator fins...

Do they appear the same type and configuration?

Where did you purchase? (I notice your radiator has foam seal..unlike incorrect (lacking foam seal) aftermarket radiator Denso is selling to us through supply chain partner Rock Auto)

Price?

Any labeling as to where manufactured?

Toyota parts distribution would not work with the dealer to provide this basic information....for me the customer.

Toyota has proven uncooperative on numerous occasions...(differential bushings I had to buy from Japan because Toyota North America refused to source it because P.N. ( provided) was not uploaded into their North American parts system)

Mercedes-Benz is a better global player when it comes to parts look up and support.

My gray market Mercedes was.vastly different than it's North American counterpart, but could get any part...

Try importing a Celsior...

Last edited by YODAONE; 05-19-19 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-19-19, 04:57 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Purchased from https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/

$372.01 plus shipping.this is an OEM part not an aftermarket Denso. It is stamped with "China" on the tank, you can see it in the picture. The original rad seems to be stamped with Japan. I will take more pictures later since I boxed it back up for now.
Old 05-19-19, 06:35 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Purchased from https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/

$372.01 plus shipping.this is an OEM part not an aftermarket Denso. It is stamped with "China" on the tank, you can see it in the picture. The original rad seems to be stamped with Japan. I will take more pictures later since I boxed it back up for now.
"China" does not inspire the same confidence as "Japan" (my opinion)....few if any original. LS400 OEM components were made in China..sign of the times.

Denso aftermarket radiators do not include the foam seal...and the foam seal.is not sold as a separate service item by Toyota or Lexus.

Your radiator is an OEM.

I see the stamp.but pricing does not reflect a part made in China.
Old 05-20-19, 04:35 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

do let us know when you've installed it- if there's any difference from the stock fitments that hold the radiator in place, and the like. i'm considering this for my own 97, as well
Old 05-20-19, 05:13 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dlcoffin
do let us know when you've installed it- if there's any difference from the stock fitments that hold the radiator in place, and the like. i'm considering this for my own 97, as well
If not too much of an imposition, would be interesting if you could fill and measure coolant volumes for both radiators.

It appears the transmission fluid cooling tank is larger in the tow package radiator..but probably more difficult to measure volumes.
Old 05-20-19, 10:18 PM
bradland

Received 648 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
If not too much of an imposition, would be interesting if you could fill and measure coolant volumes for both radiators.

It appears the transmission fluid cooling tank is larger in the tow package radiator..but probably more difficult to measure volumes.

If you look at the dimensions of Denso Tow Pkg vs Std, prob not exactly the same as the Toyota parts but for the sake of a simple comparison, it's easy to calculate the difference in volume.

Tow- 1" x 29.4" x 16.8" = 493.9 Cubic Inches (7.77 Liters )
Std- .625" x 29.8" x 16.75" = 312 Cubic Inches (4.91 Liters)

These numbers may not represent the actual volume inside the radiator but it's a quick and dirty way to see what happens when increasing core thickness from .625 to 1"
Old 05-21-19, 03:42 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

I will see if i can get some volume numbers before I throw it in. I am also doing a hyrdo-fan conversion to the Celsior setup so I will document some of that. For some reason the foam is applied to the opposite side of the radiator compared to the old one.

Nothing wrong with China - doesn't inspire as much confidence as made in Japan but there's a lot of reasons for it to be manufactured in China besides a drop in quality. There's a good chance Denso moved their operations to China for their other products and moved the OEM stuff along with it but maintained increased quality control for OEM.
Old 05-27-19, 05:33 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

I will see if i can get some volume numbers before I throw it in. I am also doing a hyrdo-fan conversion to the Celsior setup so I will document some of that. For some reason the foam is applied to the opposite side of the radiator compared to the old one.

Nothing wrong with China - doesn't inspire as much confidence as made in Japan but there's a lot of reasons for it to be manufactured in China besides a drop in quality. There's a good chance Denso moved their operations to China for their other products and moved the OEM stuff along with it but maintained increased quality control for OEM.
Image of upper left side radiator bracket with rubber insert
Is it compatible with the thicker radiator?

Old 05-27-19, 06:37 PM
bradland

Received 648 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Image of upper left side radiator bracket with rubber insert
Is it compatible with the thicker radiator?
Lexus only offers one size bracket.
Old 05-27-19, 07:38 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bradland
Lexus only offers one size bracket.
OK then.

There are two fan clutch assemblies listed, one standard (1621050021)and tow package(1621050060, superceding 1621050061)

However, differences are not specified. Anyone?

Last edited by YODAONE; 05-27-19 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 11:36 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

5013 radiator calipers at 1"

5015 radiator calipers at 1"

5013 left 5015 right

5013 left 5015 right

Hydrofan and radiator installed

No issue with radiator hold down bracket fitment

No issue with radiator hold down bracket fitment

Hydrofan pump fitted in place of stock fan bracket

Hydrofan and shroud installed from Celsior

Hydrofan hydraulic fluid cooler

Likely the tow package fan clutch engages at a lower temperature and/or has a higher % engagement at full engagement when compared to the non tow package. in other words fan would be closer to 1:1 drive ratio at full lockup than the regular clutch.

Some more pictures of the radiator side by side with my old one. No difference in the fin density.

Also some pictures of my hydro-fan conversion. I am going to be installing a PWM controller to control the solenoid. Tested the system and with the fan fully engaged the fan moves a lot of air, even at idle. The reason for this upgrade was due to my remote start installation. I want maximum idle fan cooling immediately after startup to get the AC head pressure down and speed up the AC pump down time. With the mechanical fan there is a delay between engine start up and fan engagement which in turn delays the AC pump down time. I really like having the precise control of the hydro fan. It sure was hard to find all the parts I needed though.

Just a comment on the volume. This isnt a great measurement, but I drained all my radiator fluid into a container to be reused. After refilling the system with the 5015 radiator, I had to add back about a half gallon of coolant to get the level back where it was. There was of a course a few spills during all the work I did but I would say the 5015 has close to a half gallon extra capacity.
The following users liked this post:
oldskewel (06-16-19)
Old 06-16-19, 07:03 AM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

pricing does not reflect a part made in China.
And I am willing to bet that neither does quality. If there is one thing Chinese are really good at. it is making a good sample or initial production run, only to slip back as soon as the customer leaves the room. At the risk of sounding racist, even though I'm not, show me one Chinese bearing company that makes bearings that are as good as Japanese (e.g. Koyo) or Swedish (SKF). Or a rubber part from China that is as good as its Japanese counterpart. Or a suspension part made in China that can compete with 555 Moog.
Sorry for the ramble, but I had to let it out, after I discovered that my Chinese made rubber hose on the air intake fell apart after only two years (you could literally just poke a hole in it with your finger!), while a 10 year old OEM replacement that I bought off E-bay (for ten bucks) is still flexible and performs like a champ.

Quick Reply: 1998-2000 ls400 oem radiator options