LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Celsior Niggles and Surprises

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-16, 12:51 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Celsior Niggles and Surprises

It's been 5 months since I've bought my '90 Celsior (C spec). From the first drive me and my dad knew that this car has been neglected. The previous owner had it for 3 years and only drove ~3000 km in that time. Here are the problems and surprises this cars has given us:

First the problems:
Engine code 13 and 56. I've seen 13 to be common on neglected cars, code 56 was no where to be found and turned out to be the disconnected viscous drive fan.

The ride was extremely jerky and discomforting, the gearbox jerks and jumps forward when shifting from P to D and jerks backwards going from D to N.

Upon acceleration, it hesitates, sometimes it will accelerate smoothly, other wise it jerks (feels like a fuel cut).

The Work done:
I've done the regular maintenance (timing belt, tensioner, bearings, gear oil) on it and all the codes (13 and 56 from the engine) are now gone.

One surprise it gave me were the shocks installed. In the front, the rear struts of a Honda Accord were fitted. In the rear, struts from a UCF30 sport package were fitted.

I couldn't find the correct ones so I went with struts from a GRS180 Crown in the front, the rear ones are as it is. Now the ride is much smoother.

One other thing I've noticed is , when I rev it, a lot of water comes out and is greenish yellow, I don't know why it is colored like this and would need some insight.

Right now my priority is to remove the jerk the car gives when shifting from P to D and the hesitation on acceleration, Any suggestions?
Old 02-20-16, 05:48 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

ive seen so many of these cars just absolutely thrashed and abused by there previous owners due to the fact that you can get away with stupid stuff in them and that there so old they have next to no value and people are scared of them. sad. those types are part of the problem. you are part of the solution! get her right and youll have a car that will love you for a very long time.
Old 02-20-16, 06:47 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Najeeh
It's been 5 months since I've bought my '90 Celsior (C spec). From the first drive me and my dad knew that this car has been neglected. The previous owner had it for 3 years and only drove ~3000 km in that time. Here are the problems and surprises this cars has given us:

First the problems:
Engine code 13 and 56. I've seen 13 to be common on neglected cars, code 56 was no where to be found and turned out to be the disconnected viscous drive fan.

The ride was extremely jerky and discomforting, the gearbox jerks and jumps forward when shifting from P to D and jerks backwards going from D to N.

Upon acceleration, it hesitates, sometimes it will accelerate smoothly, other wise it jerks (feels like a fuel cut).

The Work done:
I've done the regular maintenance (timing belt, tensioner, bearings, gear oil) on it and all the codes (13 and 56 from the engine) are now gone.

One surprise it gave me were the shocks installed. In the front, the rear struts of a Honda Accord were fitted. In the rear, struts from a UCF30 sport package were fitted.

I couldn't find the correct ones so I went with struts from a GRS180 Crown in the front, the rear ones are as it is. Now the ride is much smoother.

One other thing I've noticed is , when I rev it, a lot of water comes out and is greenish yellow, I don't know why it is colored like this and would need some insight.

Right now my priority is to remove the jerk the car gives when shifting from P to D and the hesitation on acceleration, Any suggestions?
What are "niggles"?
Old 02-20-16, 08:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
What are "niggles"?
Small persistent annoyance
Old 02-20-16, 09:39 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

Where I live there are only about 5 or 6 of these that are still running. Me and my dad were searching for a rare car and came across this. Its wearing a Black Jade pearl (6k4) with a grey cloth interior, so it ticked all the rarity boxes. It has been brought back on the path of its original glory, just a few small problems left.
Old 02-20-16, 12:09 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

got some pics? before and after? sounds like a barn find type of thing!
Old 02-20-16, 12:41 PM
Najeeh
Rookie

This was not a barnyard find, just one cosmetically well kept Celsior begging for mechanical maintenance. I only have the before pictures, didn't get time to take the after pictures. I do have some images taken of the timing belt job, I'll upload them shortly.

The front end is now balanced, It was tilting due to the mismatched struts

Old 02-20-16, 07:45 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Wow very nice, and so cool how everything is reversed with the right hand drive, even the radio and climate control buttons. The trac button missing? And that is not reversed. I'm surprised I thought Celsior had all the options, No heated seats??? And those can't be stock wheels?
Old 02-20-16, 08:35 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Damn that's clean. Cleaner than most of the ones I see around here. Nice find man that's a treasure! Being that you're in Pakistan I figured it might be a gulf spec car but that's legit JDM stuff!
Old 02-20-16, 11:26 PM
Najeeh
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
Wow very nice, and so cool how everything is reversed with the right hand drive, even the radio and climate control buttons. The trac button missing? And that is not reversed. I'm surprised I thought Celsior had all the options, No heated seats??? And those can't be stock wheels?
We took out the trac button as the bulb was shot, thats back in now. Heated seats were an option in the F package, we dont really need them here, but nice to have that option. The rims were put on by the previous owner in exchange for the original ones. I'am trying to find a Toyota or Lexus badged centre cap for the rims to give a OEM touch.

Originally Posted by Stereorob
Damn that's clean. Cleaner than most of the ones I see around here. Nice find man that's a treasure! Being that you're in Pakistan I figured it might be a gulf spec car but that's legit JDM stuff!
Thankyou, the first time we saw the car I thought it was an Australian model, but when I dug up info from the VIN, I turned out to be the C spec JDM model. It's nice to have the option to put air suspension back without any difficulty.

Last edited by Najeeh; 02-20-16 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-20-16, 11:54 PM
Najeeh
Rookie

I would like some help so that I can remove the problems it now has.

Firstly the gearbox jerks and jumps forward when shifting from P to D or N to D and jerks backwards from D to N. I just changed the oil in the gearbox (drain and refill with filter cleanup) with a toyota T-IV, when the car had sat all night I checked the oil level on the dipstick and it was above the cold mark, when I started the car it dipped down and barely touched the cold mark. When it gets hot it goes above the hot mark. Is there air in the system or have I overfilled it?, is the jerk being caused by the throttle wire being in tension on the gearbox side?

Secondly its the jerk on acceleration, whenever it jerks the rpms meter flips down about 100-200rpm. sometimes it will accelerate smoothly. Any solutions to these?
Old 02-21-16, 12:20 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

I don't have enough time to provide proper help at the moment, but I wanted to stop in and compliment you on your car!

...And, it's in my favorite color. Same as mine!

Out of curiosity, those pieces on your headlights aren't wipers, are they? Just LEDs, right?

If possible, one thing that may help is a video of the jerking issue. Do you hear any noise outside of the car when this occurs, as well? As you know, the interior is very well insulated, so you could be missing out on any noises coming from the transmission.

Also, when it jerks on acceleration, what gear is this in? Does it jerk when you accelerate in R, N, D, 2, and L or while in just one of them?

As I mentioned, I apologize in advance if it takes me time to respond. I hope other members can help you out more with these issues. Best of luck!
Old 02-21-16, 01:45 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

The pieces on the headlights are just LED's, I have disconnected them as they looked too tacky.

From the outside I just hear a 'THUD' when the car jumps forward and same noise backwards. I'll make a video and upload it here. One other thing I've noticed is the rpm goes up slightly and then it engages gear. It does the same while engaging reverse, its subtle, but it does jerk. The coupler on the gearbox is slightly worn out, I've ordered those and will be replacing these soon.

The jerk on acceleration is in every gear, L, 2 or D (never tried accelerating in reverse ), while driving normally it is completely smooth, except for the upshift from 1st to 2nd, I would like to say that it surges forward as 2nd gear is engaged. the surge intensity is proportional to the rpm, higher the rpm the bigger the surge.

It only jerks when the throttle is depressed more than 40%
Old 02-21-16, 03:03 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The jerk means nothing to us by typing about it. I really don't know what you mean by jerk. Does it kind of bang into gear??? Like when you first put it in gear? Theres a bang or thump? Have you checked the motor mounts?
Does it act like the clutches are locking too fast? Does the engine stall when going from neutral or park into any gear? Since I'm not sitting in the car feeling it I need lots and lots of details, not just "it jerks". If the clutches bang into gear, that could be from the wrong fluid or from high TV pressure and yes that means the throttle cable could be an issue or just high line pressure. Is the clunk in the rear end? I could be the differential. No way of knowing sitting at a computer reading about it.
Old 02-21-16, 04:37 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

I've made a video, hope this will help: (I'am sorry for the bad quality)
http://vk.com/video322980810_171735682

Quick Reply: Celsior Niggles and Surprises