LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

to buy or not to buy, That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 06:00 PM
mrfletcher
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to buy or not to buy, That is the question( update - I bought it !)

After reading the forums for a while, I have decided to decided to drink the Lexus Kool-Aid! I had initially decided on getting an ES model, but the more I read, I decided an LS was what I want. I want something ultra reliable, with the best ride and options for the money. I have been looking online across the entire country, craigslist, cars.com, autotrader. I found several high mile ones with good maintenance records. But now I have a line on a one owner, southern car, 1995, only 90k miles, looks very very clean on the exterior, interior appears almost perfect. Timing belt changed 6k miles ago, and new tires. I'm always a little suspect of low mile cars, too may people swapping gauge clusters to make theirs look good, but this looks like a car with 90k miles, or even less. The asking price is just south of 6K. (My initial budget was 4k, but it keeps creeping up). That's what gets me. Is it worth that? There are so many very nice ones for thousands less, but of course 2x the miles. I had hoped to get a 98-2000 model, but this car just seems to stand out. I'm sure the 2000 has some extra options, but that just means more to go wrong. I don't care about the extra power from the VVT engine. I'm upgrading from a car with 110 hp so anything is an improvement !! Sometimes you just have to jump at a good car instead of always looking for the better deal. Is this one of those or is it overpriced and I should just wait for another nice one to come along ? I thank you for any advice and feedback.

Last edited by mrfletcher; 01-20-16 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-12-16, 10:15 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was in the same boat when I bought my 33,000 mile LS400 back in June. Since CARFAX and MyLexus.com matched with regard to mileage, and the lack of wear and tear on the car supported, I am confident of the mileage. I was also concerned about the low mileage but the car had seen consistent use throughout its life and I haven't had any issues except a CV axle and gas cap replacement.

These cars can easily get you to 200K miles and more with proper maintenance. I would, and did, pay more for a low mileage well documented car because I know I will get more years of use from it.

Good luck and let us know if you buy it.
Old 01-12-16, 04:29 PM
mrfletcher
9th Gear

Well, I am still on the fence. Now I'm thinking I may want to wait for a next gen car to get some more air bags, child seat anchors, ect. I need to decide soon before its gone.
Old 01-12-16, 10:05 PM
AandSC
Pole Position

One of the reasons I preferred the LS400 over the LS430 was the maintenance costs were lower on the LS400s. The LS430s have a couple issues (control arms, amps, etc) that mean higher repair costs.
Old 01-12-16, 10:19 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

even if you "don't care" about the extra power you definitely won't regret having it, and the 98+ gets better mpg than the previous models. i'd stick to a 98-99 instead of a 2000, bigger fuel tank in the 98-99 and it doesn't have brake assist which to me just seems like a relatively not that useful extra feature and an added complexity. just brake hard enough so you don't crash, not that difficult lol
Old 01-13-16, 03:32 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I would try to get the 98-00 model LS400s, I have a 97 which i got about 3 months back, coming from a 92 Accord and these LS's are such nice vehicles. Super comfy and on a recent hwy trip, i got nearly 27mpg at 80mph.

The 98+ have the VVT-i engines with 290hp vs. 260 for my 97 and they have 5spd transmissions, so hwy mileage should be even better than mine, some have reported over 30mpg!

Also I like the looks of the 98+ better, seems more polished and aerodynamic. But either way, you can't go wrong getting a 95+ since that was the first year of the 2nd gen LS which was longer wheelbase and more spacious than the first, along with better massive 4 piston 12.4" brakes up front.
Old 01-14-16, 10:54 PM
mrfletcher
9th Gear

Well, I decided to go with the 95, I just like the looks of the car, the low miles, the basically perfect interior. I fly down to Fl next week to drive it home. My wife isn't excited, she thinks the exterior is too boring. I told her next time she wants to talk negative about it, she needs to put her teeth in, put out her cigarette, and come out of her trailer!! (And no, that doesnt really describe her )Then she would see how elegant the lines are. She has been looking at ones that are 15-20 yrs newer. I couldn't stomach the depreciation after paying 30k. I think once she gets a ride in it she will be happy. I know I'm excited!
Old 01-14-16, 11:57 PM
AandSC
Pole Position

Too funny about the wife! Sounds exactly like mine. The thoughts on the LS400, not the cigarette and teeth part... She calls our LS400 "Pops" because she thinks it's a grandpa car. Her words.

Post up pics and let us know how the drive home goes. We drove ours from Jax, FL to Green Bay this past summer and it never missed a beat.
Old 01-15-16, 02:00 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Post a pic of the wife with the teeth out. I can't stop laughing at that one.
Old 01-15-16, 11:23 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Great decision and keep us updated. Pics would be nice...
Old 01-15-16, 06:08 PM
mrfletcher
9th Gear

I'll post some pics when I pick up the car. I hope the wife never gets on here and reads my posts, I'll be sleeping in that car ! And that may end up describing wife #2 :-(
Old 01-16-16, 08:42 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

You should also factor in the amount of miles you think you'll be driving in a given year.

A low-mileage garage queen which has been poorly maintained is a worse value than a higher-mileage "user" which has been well-maintained.

it's the stop-and-go driving that wears cars down as opposed to highway mileage.

Also, no one pays attention to styling once they're in the car as they can't see it. Drop the hammer when you're next to a Z-car and you'll blow it's doors off - try that with your spouse in the car.
Old 01-20-16, 07:08 PM
mrfletcher
9th Gear

Got on a plane Monday, flew to Florida to get the car. It was as nice as the description. Paint in great, no door dings that I have found. The interior is really nice. Not sure anybody has ever sat in the back seat. Drivers seat shows just enough wear so you know its not new. I can't believe this car is 20 yrs old. It's so well put together , definitely well ahead of its time. 1400 miles later and I'm home. Car ran flawlessly. Best tank was 26.6 MPG. And the best news is the wife is impressed ! I'll try and get a pic posted tomorrow. Thanks everyone !
Old 01-21-16, 02:45 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Glad to hear everything worked out. Look forward to the pics.
Old 01-21-16, 02:56 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I hope the teeth are out in that pic.

Quick Reply: to buy or not to buy, That is the question