LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help! After cleaning throttle body Trac light turned on.

Old 02-16-17, 12:52 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Help! After cleaning throttle body Trac light turned on.

Few days ago I cleaned the throttle body and it was full of carbon. I sprayed alot of throttle body cleaner inside the throttle and it got flooded. First it was hard to start car, now it starts but it idles rough and Traction Control light turned on. I checked all the vacuum lines non are unplugged. One straight breather hose right under the throttle body has a crack but it was there before I cleaned the throttle body. I already ordered the hose but it's gonna take few days to arrive. What should I do now to make it run smooth again. Whenever I start the car it throws alot of black carbon on the muffler. I don't want to drive the car because I saw timing belt has never been changed and it has cracks.
Old 02-16-17, 03:15 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Hello Everyone. I fixed the traction light problem. The harness of the traction wasn't sitting properly but the car still idles rough after cleaning throttle body. Any suggestions? I am waiting on engine breather hose otherwise I am planning to remove the hole throttle body and clean it inside out and also replace all the spark plugs and wires.
Old 02-16-17, 04:51 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Are you sure your 64 Toyota has all that kinda stuf?????? If you remove the hand crank it will run better.
Old 02-16-17, 04:55 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dicer
Are you sure your 64 Toyota has all that kinda stuf?????? If you remove the hand crank it will run better.
Where did I mention 64?
Old 02-16-17, 04:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by AlaskanLS
Where did I mention 64?
He's teasing you, you meant '78. Seriously though, year of your car and miles helps.
Old 02-16-17, 05:02 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Well I posted the question in the thread of 1st and 2nd generation of LS400. So it should be standard on both generations. The one I got is 91 by the way.
Old 02-17-17, 05:39 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Nope.. changes made in designs, performance and diagnostic capabilities between those generations. Can't treat them all the same. So it helps to provide as much information as you can when you're looking for free assistance.
So, how is it running now?
How many miles on it? How long have you had it? Any service records?
Old 02-17-17, 10:22 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Huge difference in what year it is. It determines if you have a CAN system or not. It tells us if you can or can not clean the MAF or Air meter. It tells us if the engine is VVT or not. How many speeds the transmission is. And now that we know the year we can tell you if the timing belt breaks its all okay and will not ruin the engine so all your out is a tow.
If you tried to clean the Mass air flow sensor you then ruined it. If the exhaust is black its way over fueling it. So we really need to know how it ran before you "worked" on it.
If there is a hose leaking that can fool it into wanting more fuel so?
And what is meant by a lot of carbon black on the muffler? You mean exhaust? I don't understand???
Old 02-17-17, 11:55 AM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Legender
Nope.. changes made in designs, performance and diagnostic capabilities between those generations. Can't treat them all the same. So it helps to provide as much information as you can when you're looking for free assistance.
I bet the color of the car is also necessary for troubleshooting the engine problem.
Old 02-17-17, 12:03 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dicer
Huge difference in what year it is. It determines if you have a CAN system or not. It tells us if you can or can not clean the MAF or Air meter. It tells us if the engine is VVT or not. How many speeds the transmission is. And now that we know the year we can tell you if the timing belt breaks its all okay and will not ruin the engine so all your out is a tow.
If you tried to clean the Mass air flow sensor you then ruined it. If the exhaust is black its way over fueling it. So we really need to know how it ran before you "worked" on it.
If there is a hose leaking that can fool it into wanting more fuel so?
And what is meant by a lot of carbon black on the muffler? You mean exhaust? I don't understand???
Well I only sprayed MAF and let it sit for an hour. Yes by muffler I meant exhaust. On the day when I was cleaning throttle body I also replaced the coolant temperature sensor. Because It's horrible on MPG. It's doing 11 MPG. But I haven't driven it Since I cleaned the throttle and replaced the coolant temperature sensor.
Old 02-17-17, 01:26 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Legender
It was owned by a weed smoking lady. I didn't expect much from her to keep it top notch. I am the 4th owner of the car. It has service records but those are 26 years old. I got it for 1500 but upto this point I spent 1000 on it. I replaced the whole stereo system by myself to save money and it installed aftermarket amp and subwoofer. I have cleaned the car multiple times but still there is smell of cigarette smoking in the cabin. I am waiting for the weather to warm up then I am going to remove the seats and clean the carpet thoroughly. It has 300k miles. I am hoping to use it as daily driver and give a break to my lx450 but this car is burning more fuel than my lx450.
Old 02-17-17, 03:20 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Old 02-17-17, 06:41 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

I bet the color of the car is also necessary for troubleshooting the engine problem.
This snarky remark says nothing to us except just how much you have to learn about the LS400...

And if you want an answer to your smart *** comment, the answer is yes. The color does matter. For instance, if you were to tell us you have a Cobalt Blue Metallic LS400 we would at least know it's a 90-92 which is better than saying nothing at all.

These cars are vastly different across a 10 year span.
Old 02-17-17, 06:52 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Banshee365
This snarky remark says nothing to us except just how much you have to learn about the LS400...

And if you want an answer to your smart *** comment, the answer is yes. The color does matter. For instance, if you were to tell us you have a Cobalt Blue Metallic LS400 we would at least know it's a 90-92 which is better than saying nothing at all.

These cars are vastly different across a 10 year span.
dude this not blue it is black. I thought the same when I saw its pictures on craigslist.
Old 02-17-17, 07:28 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Well I only sprayed MAF and let it sit for an hour. Yes by muffler I meant exhaust. On the day when I was cleaning throttle body I also replaced the coolant temperature sensor. Because It's horrible on MPG. It's doing 11 MPG. But I haven't driven it Since I cleaned the throttle and replaced the coolant temperature sensor.
If you "sprayed" the MAF (which is actually AFM) then you ruined it. These AFMs are NOT to be cleaned. The MAF on 95 and up can be cleaned. That's why we need to know what year the car is, b/c they change every couple years. Try unplugging the AFM to see if the rough idle goes away. If so, test it with an Ohm meter. Not sure what the settings are supposed to be but if you search this forum you can find it. If the AFM is bad (which is a common problem) you will get terrible gas mileage. This could also be the cause of your black exhaust. (too much raw fuel being burned with no air) I was only getting 9 MPG in my 93 when the AFM was bad. Also, it doesn't always throw a code but you should check for codes anyway even if the light isn't on. Might be a code stored.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! After cleaning throttle body Trac light turned on.