LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 fuses

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 09:08 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Ls400 fuses

After 17 years all of the mini-blade fuses in the 1999 LS400 were in inspected and replaced.

Attached are images of the whole lot after extraction and a close-up showing age-related tarnish build-up.

The 10A fuse (red) appears to have more heat-related discoloration...perhaps as a result of increased resistance from tarnish build-up?

In any event, I elected to clean the fuse sockets with electical contact cleaner and replace all tarnished fuses.

For those interested, simply go through your owners manual for count of fuse amperages and order necessary quantities from Digi-key(recommended as a supplier for capacitors on this site) much more

affordably than the auto parts store.

Following is link forhttp:// http://m.littelfuse.com/prod...ade-fuses.aspx Littelfuse datasheets for MINI BLADE (what the 1999 LS400 specifies ) and the larger ATO fuses which may be used on earlier LS400's....

All original fuses.

Close up shot of original fuses.
Old 01-06-16, 09:13 PM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking at that one burnt red fuse I'll be checking mine tomorrow.
Old 01-07-16, 12:29 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Incredible work! Thanks for the clear photos.

This isn't something I considered myself. I actually might go do this now.
Old 01-07-16, 03:28 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I recently had to replace some of my underdash fuses. a dime fell into the cigarette lighter socket, shorted and too half the dashboard with it! I was totally freaking out when it happened cause I didn't know what was going on. ended up taking out SIX fuses! I replaced ten just to be on the safe side.
Old 01-07-16, 06:10 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
I recently had to replace some of my underdash fuses. a dime fell into the cigarette lighter socket, shorted and too half the dashboard with it! I was totally freaking out when it happened cause I didn't know what was going on. ended up taking out SIX fuses! I replaced ten just to be on the safe side.
My goodness!... I'm happy it wasn't worse than that.
Old 01-08-16, 12:00 PM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
After 17 years all of the mini-blade fuses in the 1999 LS400 were in inspected and replaced.

Attached are images of the whole lot after extraction and a close-up showing age-related tarnish build-up.

The 10A fuse (red) appears to have more heat-related discoloration...perhaps as a result of increased resistance from tarnish build-up?

In any event, I elected to clean the fuse sockets with electical contact cleaner and replace all tarnished fuses.

For those interested, simply go through your owners manual for count of fuse amperages and order necessary quantities from Digi-key(recommended as a supplier for capacitors on this site) much more

affordably than the auto parts store.

Following is link forhttp:// http://m.littelfuse.com/prod...ade-fuses.aspx Littelfuse datasheets for MINI BLADE (what the 1999 LS400 specifies ) and the larger ATO fuses which may be used on earlier LS400's....

All original fuses.

Close up shot of original fuses.

Great post, link don't seem to work, any chance you can repost the links to the fuses? Thank you
Old 01-08-16, 12:36 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by anesthesia
Great post, link don't seem to work, any chance you can repost the links to the fuses? Thank you
Try; LITTELFUSE.COM and click products, then fuses
Old 05-03-19, 08:17 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Replace All Fuses

Try; LITTELFUSE.COM and click products, then fuses
Fuse blades and fuse sockets become tarnished with age.

There have been reports of fuse failures that are not discernible through visual inspection alone...

Inexpensive to replace minor fuses by purchasing through Digi-key...auto parts stores many X the cost.

Simply take a count of number required (engine bay and interior kick panel) by Amp rating...color coded.

I think earlier LS400 (1990-1994?) used larger style bladed fuses and 1995-2000 minis. Verify.

Even though your LS400 appears new, consider it is a 20+ year old automobile.(not a car...)

Can't think of one American made car I owned where the wiring lasted even 10 years....

Contact areas probably require cleaning with contact cleaner that will not dissolve the plastics..

Be mindful.that when separating engine compartment connectors the plastic housings may be brittle and crack....especially on 1995-2000 LS400...earlier models used rubber sheaths, which isolated plastics from engine heat.

Have replacement connector shells at the ready..

Last edited by YODAONE; 05-03-19 at 08:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Giorgio13 (05-03-19)
Old 05-03-19, 02:07 PM
Giorgio13
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There have been reports of fuse failures that are not discernible through visual inspection alone...

Inexpensive to replace minor fuses by purchasing through Digi-key...auto parts stores many X the cost.

Simply take a count of number required (engine bay and interior kick panel) by Amp rating...color coded.

I think earlier LS400 (1990-1994?) used larger style bladed fuses and 1995-2000 minis. Verify.

Even though your LS400 appears new, consider it is a 20+ year old automobile.(not a car...)

Can't think of one American made car I owned where the wiring lasted even 10 years....

Contact areas probably require cleaning with contact cleaner that will not dissolve the plastics..

Be mindful.that when separating engine compartment connectors the plastic housings may be brittle and crack....especially on 1995-2000 LS400...earlier models used rubber sheaths, which isolated plastics from engine heat.

This looks like a good product...gonna go pick some up and do some cleaning.
Old 05-10-19, 03:50 PM
Giorgio13
Rookie

Default Relays?

Hey Yodaone,

Would you recommend replacing relays as well?

Thanks
Old 05-11-19, 06:29 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Giorgio13
Hey Yodaone,

Would you recommend replacing relays as well?

Thanks
Toyota used quality relays in LS400 that rarely fail.

It would be expensive to replace all with new OEM.

An alternative is to have a set of spares from a donor vehicle.
Old 05-11-19, 06:48 AM
Giorgio13
Rookie

Thank you sir...i will stock up when im at the salvage yard.
Old 05-11-19, 09:27 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes, almost unheard of for a relay failure on these. Which for cars in general is a different story.

One other thing you could do, as Yoda has some threads about, is to tune up the sealing of the compartments the relays are in. Often (again, from other cars) when relays fail it is due to corrosion, which can be avoided by sealing the relays' fuse box (or whatever it is in) with good o-rings, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Giorgio13 (05-11-19)
Old 05-11-19, 09:49 AM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
I had a quarter fall in mine by chance where all the blown fuses under the driver side?
Old 05-11-19, 12:40 PM
Giorgio13
Rookie

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Yes, almost unheard of for a relay failure on these. Which for cars in general is a different story.

One other thing you could do, as Yoda has some threads about, is to tune up the sealing of the compartments the relays are in. Often (again, from other cars) when relays fail it is due to corrosion, which can be avoided by sealing the relays' fuse box (or whatever it is in) with good o-rings, etc.
Good advice there and i will take it. Gonna order some of that bung-o x seal for my fuse box too. Thanks for the input guys.👍🏽

Quick Reply: Ls400 fuses