LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Windshield Wiper Motor Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 06:08 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Motor Bushings

The attached image depicts the current posture of the 1999 LS400 wiper motor rubber mounting bushings. Although low mileage, age has taken its toll...
The dealer does not offer these bushings as a seperate service item from the wiper motor assembly- $$$
Anyone with suggested sourcing on wiper motor mounting bushings, power steering reservoir mounting bushings and intake silencer mounting bushings? Thanks.

Wiper motor mounting bushings are degraded and age hardened
Old 12-01-15, 02:58 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

http://www.westernrubber.com/product...ounts/bushings
You could look here, and maybe other such places. If you find something let us know about it.
Old 12-02-15, 12:56 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dicer
http://www.westernrubber.com/product...ounts/bushings
You could look here, and maybe other such places. If you find something let us know about it.
Every LS400 I have inspected 1990-2000 model year has dried out(rock hard), shrunken bushings on the wiper motor assemply, cold air inlet shroud, intake silencer box and, for applicable years, the power steering reservoir. Some were service items-now discontinued. Others were not serviceable and required purchasing the air intake silencer or wiper motor assembly. If I find a solution, are you suggesting membership will purchase kits? No one has tackled this before??
Old 12-02-15, 01:34 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I suppose others would be interested as well, so you are saying you would assemble a kit to sell?
And actually if someone was enterprising and wanted to, a total rubber kit for the whole car, including a trunk seal probably no need for most of the weather stripping yet but moon roof, and suspension rubbers and differential mount etc . At some point anyone that wants to keep one of these cars will need all the rubber components.

Last edited by dicer; 12-02-15 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-02-15, 02:41 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

I suppose others would be interested as well, so you are saying you would assemble a kit to sell?
And actually if someone was enterprising and wanted to, a total rubber kit for the whole car, including a trunk seal probably no need for most of the weather stripping yet but moon roof, and suspension rubbers and differential mount etc . At some point anyone that wants to keep one of these cars will need all the rubber components.
No matter the miles, the rubber degrades over time. Every rubber part in my '99 is being or has been replaced... o-rings, bushings, gaskets, grommets, weatherstrip. Lexus incorporated excellent quality rubber components throughout, but even top notch mil. spec silicone rubber has a a shelf life of 25 years. I also posted a list of plastic connector shells for LS400..have had issues with these crumbling. Assembling kits is feasible, but would need to understand the potential. I have a bushing source that would offer an improvement over stock
Old 12-04-15, 04:01 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

If you could offer a complete rubber kit for 500 I think that would be worth it. Especially if all weather strip was included. But at that price it might not be possible. The higher the price the less chance of people wanting to pay for it, especially when you buy the car for 2k or so.
Old 12-04-15, 04:04 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

If you could offer a complete rubber kit for 500 I think that would be worth it. Especially if all weather strip was included. But at that price it might not be possible. The higher the price the less chance of people wanting to pay for it, especially when you buy the car for 2k or so.
When you say; "....offer a complete rubber kit for 500"...are you proposing the entire car??? With the best discount there is easily $2,500-$3,000+ AT COST DISCOUNT rubber parts. This does not include brittle plastic connector shells (mostly engine compartment) A parts list would need to be assembled...Which items do you recommend be included for $500??
Old 12-04-15, 05:25 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Various size kits. You will not sell many 3K kits it would have to be a diehard LS person to buy that.
Rubber parts like the ones you need, and engine and transmission, rear end, and suspension related mostly.
And a much cheaper trunk seal would be nice as well as moon roof seal. If you did 90 to 99 LS's you would have some sales especially if you get the info out there, likely many shops would be interested as well.
Old 12-04-15, 09:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Before this discussion goes any further I'm going to lay a simple warning here.

Any discussion of the possibility of selling parts, or gathering interest to sell items in bulk without prior authorization from a site-admin or in partnership with an established vendor is expressly disallowed per the ClubLexus TOS as well as the Classified Rules.

Discussion of the windshield motor bushings is fine, as well as possible (current and existing) sources.
Discussion of selling bushings, or "kits" however, is not.